Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
It sounds like the gears are worn, or not meshing properly. I would take it to a reliable drive train shop and have them take a look inside the differential. Unless you are handy then you can look yourself and you should see the problem if it's that loud.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh I should also mention that a lot of people on here including myself put up with some diff noise. Most people run AMS synthetic diff fluid this seems to halt the wearing process, and cancels out some of the noise. But judging by your description it sounds like it's too far gone.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh I should also mention that a lot of people on here including myself put up with some diff noise. Most people run AMS synthetic diff fluid this seems to halt the wearing process, and cancels out some of the noise. But judging by your description it sounds like it's too far gone.
can you tell me where to get the ams diff fluid? i tried a google search and came up with nothing?
thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
my rear is starting to make some noise also. i would like to try and stop it before it gets worse. i see that amsoil makes a couple of different types for gear fluid. im not sure which one to choose. also none of them seem to have any friction modifier for lsd that my car does have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeahh sounds like a jet fighter gets really loud as i accel.
This is caused from the pinion "crush sleeve" failing. When this part fails the pinion gear can move in and out, this causes gear misalignment, causing the jet engine sound, howling or whining. If your diff has been making this sound for a few months or so, the ring and pinion gears are now junk. Nothing you do at this point will do anything to correct the problem. No oil sold by any manufacturer can realign the ring and pinion gears. You need a diff rebuild with a good set of gears and a solid pinion spacer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts