Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a speaker system that I bought form walmart for 49 bucks. They where two 8in subs with tweeters but they where not enough. I was looking for ways to fit two 12in subs and not take up a lot of space. So I modified the box I bought from walmart and this are the results. Plz tell me what u guys think also this box is the prototype.

OG box

Final creation

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm normally not a big fan of subs but that's a really clean set up. And for 49 bucks...heck that's not bad at all
*thumbs up*

·
Registered
202 Posts
Air tight? Or have leaks? Looks good though 8) Not a bad job.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have to drill two more air vent holes and cover the two 8in holes at the bottom of the box. Right now ima go buy two of them protection cage things. Ima look for some subs cuz the ones on the box are my cuz speakers (not zankone). Here is a pic of the box that the subs where in. As u can see the box was too big, hence my new box.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great looking box, and seems quite simple to do also.
I don't blame you for getting rid of that monsterous bandpass box.

My question would be how much airspace is there. Doesn't look like nearly enough to support 2 12" subs.

My recommendation if your wanting to save room and still have good sound is to move away from 12's and drop to either 10's or 8's. They will sound immenssly better at lower airspace volume and the lower volume required means the lower space required.

2 JL Audio 8W3 D6's will run you a combined airspace of .75 Cubic feet.
This equals a box 32" Wide X 9" High X 8" Deep. That is probably very similar in size to the new box you made. Of course if money is tight then you probably don't want to go this route as each speaker is aproximately $120, and amp to push them would have to make at least 250 watts of power.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Zombiepup said:
Great looking box, and seems quite simple to do also.
I don't blame you for getting rid of that monsterous bandpass box.

My question would be how much airspace is there. Doesn't look like nearly enough to support 2 12" subs.

My recommendation if your wanting to save room and still have good sound is to move away from 12's and drop to either 10's or 8's. They will sound immenssly better at lower airspace volume and the lower volume required means the lower space required.

2 JL Audio 8W3 D6's will run you a combined airspace of .75 Cubic feet.
This equals a box 32" Wide X 9" High X 8" Deep. That is probably very similar in size to the new box you made. Of course if money is tight then you probably don't want to go this route as each speaker is aproximately $120, and amp to push them would have to make at least 250 watts of power.

i agree that two 10" subs will sound better, but i have to disagree that you "need" X amount of power.
there isnt a minimum requirement for amp power, unless you push your system.
if your just looking for a decent amount of bass, you only need about 100 watts RMS, which basically just means constant power.
if you like the boom and you push your system, you are best off with an amp that provides enough power to perfectly match your subwoofers requirements.

distortion from pushing an amp too hard is what destroys subs, along with too much power.

my recommendation would be one kicker 10" solobaric, it only requires 0.66-1 cubic foot, which is a pretty small range for a sub that puts out such massive amounts of sound.
they will take upto 450 watts rms, but ive heard plenty of solobaric subs running on as little as 50 watts without problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
dogstar said:
distortion from pushing an amp too hard is what destroys subs, along with too much power.
Yes, distortion from an underpowered sub will cause distortion. The amount of power required to push a sub is RMS. If the amp doesn't put out that much power than your looking for trouble, even at lower sound levels. An underpowered amp is going to be using up its power earlier in the volume range. If you never go over a certain volume range then your fine.

For example though. If your cruising down the freeway at 70MPH, your going to have more road noise generated and to hear the stereo over this increased ambient noise, you increase volume. Roll the windows down and your going to have to crank the volume more. Some don't have to worry about this, but many other will do this at some point.

Once your amp runs out of power it is going to struggle to make the difference up. It can and will make it up, but at the cost of damage to itself and the sub.

My statement was in regards to longevity of all components.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
agreed, once you push your amp into clipping to make more power, itll start causing damage to the sub.

i was just stating (poorly) that if you dont push your amp into clipping to make up for a lack of power, you will be fine, so technically, were both mostly right.

as for myself, im just about to leave to pick up a nice shiny new alpine 300watt rms sub amp :D
and hopefully my clarion deck will be in too.

ahh... a new system, such a blessed thing :)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
thanks...

now ive got to wait for a week... the amp i want is out of stock, but then again, so is my new clarion :(

buggers... youd think they could have more than one of each for such a big company (A&B sound)

i loves my sound... probably the part of building up a car i hate the most, cause it invariably takes the most work, for me to get the sound i want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts