Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok it's been a while since I was talking about going twin turbo rather than single so here goes the beggining of my project as I have gathered most of the parts needed and I'm about to start on the custom fabrications/assembly department.

Please before you go ahead and check my thread bare in mind that after so many negative comments and advice about preffering single than twin turbo I have actually decided to go for the twin turbo set up.

This thread is about building up a twin turbo 7mgte and this process is actually happening as we speak. It's got nothing to do with your personal prefferences or is it a pole between single and twin turbo setups. At this stage I'm not asking anyones opinion on choice between single and twin turbo setups and remarks like "oh why bother, you should have gone single!".

If you don't approve fine, if you hate what you're seeing here fine, if you feel like you're so smart and I'm the dumbest person doing something so much condemned by the vast majority of the supra community fine but hey I'm not asking for your opinion here.

This thread showcases how a very rare, much talked and most of the times dropped potential project actually happens. This only shows to people that want to actually see what it takes to build a custom twin turbo 7mgte. For those that are not interested so be it, but save your opinion to yourselves.

However I'm open to all opinions, advice, suggestions on how to overcome problems or improve thoughts and plans of mine. Anyone that feels like they have to say something about the actual twin turbo setup is more than welcome. This is the purpose of this thread anyway.

I apologise if I sound harsh or abrupt but you can't imagine how many people still imply in their posts to go for a single turbo setup after all the money I've spent and all the labour that has been involved in this project so far and thus I'm only trying to prevent any other potential discouraging and disapproving comments.

So after getting that out of my chest let's cut to the chase. So here's a general picture of the goodies I got yesterday:

These are the two T3s AR.42/.48 50 Trim, fully rebuilt, ported and polished, the OBX twin turbo exhaust manifold copy of the Greddy mani., a Tial 38mm external wastegate and the two Apexi intake filters.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Absolutly amazing Yanni! Id love to have 1 of those in my car. Anyways glad to see progress as usual. Ive got this bookmarked and subscribed to already! Cant wait to see the next set of pics, LOVE the broze aswell!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Nice stuff. Are the Trubos new or rebuilt? Ball bearing?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MkIIdrifter said:
Nice stuff. Are the Trubos new or rebuilt? Ball bearing?
I know the bling from my manifold must have gotten you :D . They're rebuilt as I said on the first post, unfortunatelly not ball bearing. But garret have released dual ball bearing centers for the T3/4 series a month ago so the option is there. I got both of these for $770. I think it's a great price.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My front intake manifold provided by Ron Ramirez, Q45 84mm throttle body with wired up 7mgte TPS, 550cc NipponDenso injectors and a SARD fuel pressure regulator.

Don't let its size fool you, it's capable of 800kPa which is almost 200 more than the Aeromotive unit.

Closeup of the Q45 tb:

notice no Nissan emblem in sight ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Closer look of the turbos:

The quality of rebuilt on the turbos I believe is quite high, some photos of the inside of the compressor showing the polishing:

and a closeup of the turbo and the Tial:

Some may have noticed the billet oil drain and inlet flanges. I got them seperate from ebay and the quality is great. -10AN for the drain side and -4AN on the inlet side. The inlet flanges are "pressure control" ones. Apparently by having such a tiny hole you drill out at will and aquire the desired oil pressure supply.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Nice so far buddy, I had to go so ill just post this and be on my way! Your car will be a rocket when everything is worked out of it! Keep it up!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's going to be some major custom work on the exhaust manifold. If you're not familiar with this actuall design the turbos are supposed to hang under the manifold, just like MightyAl's setup (http://www.celicasupra.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=17635), I intend to flip the manifold over and have the turbos sit on top. The wastegate side runners will be obviously cut off from their current spots and the necessary T3 exhaust flanges will be welded on. This manifold is actually flanged for Mitsubishi turbos, 3 bolt pattern.
Ideally I'll try to have the front turbo sit lower than the rear one so that I can retain the power steering reservoir and pump on their stock locations.
Also by having the turbos sit on top the turbo outlets line up quite nicely in the engine bay. Imagine if the turbos were mounted on the original manifold angles, the outlets would face towards the engine block...not good.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm a bit concerned about my NipponDenso injectors, especially after this post: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12235 . Unfortunatelly I bought mine from the same guy and after having sent some faulty ones, then had them replaced after a lot of persuation I now realise that mine may also be high impedance - which they probaby are. I don't know if there's a reliable way to run these instead of the compatible low impedance units. After having read that related post could anyone give some more detailed info on how to use these?

·
Registered
391 Posts
You have some great looking toys sitting there. Looks like you have plenty of fab work ahead of you, but that is the fun part once it starts coming together. You can run the high impedance injectors as long as you eliminate the resistor pack. It really shouldnt cause a problem, the thing is most people don't think they react as fast as the low impedance. It looks like you are going to have a real unique install. Keep us all posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Knight202 said:
Your car will be a rocket when everything is worked out of it! Keep it up!

"When"... That's the right word. Whahahahahaha (evil)

Seriously now, if I knew you had all these close to me when I came for the rims, I would knock you in the head and take the goodies!!!!!!
Fantastic stuff, fanstastic job, fanstastic car, when its ready!!!

p.s: At least I said "when", not "if" :loser: :loser:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'd hate to see your credit card bill. Unless, of course, your just independently wealthy (then I would really hate you)....

At any rate, yea I'm extremely jealous and hate your guts. If you don't post video we will all cut off your kahonas!

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
Can you just remove the resistor pack? I'm not up to speed on the 7m injector driver output design, or its limitations. ...worst case scenario (and possibly a big time-saver), sell them to someone with a megasquirt (DIBS!!) and pick up compatible ones....

--BillyM

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nmwisima said:
"When"... That's the right word. Whahahahahaha (evil)

Seriously now, if I knew you had all these close to me when I came for the rims, I would knock you in the head and take the goodies!!!!!!
Fantastic stuff, fanstastic job, fanstastic car, when its ready!!!

p.s: At least I said "when", not "if" :loser: :loser:
:nono: You never came for the rims mister, you dragged me all the way to your work place and had me carry them for you, remember? :nutkick: Anyway, at least you included some kind remarks... :hahano:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mkiimaniac said:
I'd hate to see your credit card bill. Unless, of course, your just independently wealthy (then I would really hate you)....

At any rate, yea I'm extremely jealous and hate your guts. If you don't post video we will all cut off your kahonas!

Good luck!
It seems normal for people to think that I'm made out of money but nope I'm just an ordinary guy. My credit card bills and loans are a painfull issue man. At least I got a major head start from some compensation money I got from a looser company that thought it was ok to fire me at will, illegally and without reason :crossjerk . It's been two years and they're still paying for it but that's another story :rolleyes: .
I guess I should be thanking them and not being pissed off after all.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
_HOT_M16 said:
Can you just remove the resistor pack? I'm not up to speed on the 7m injector driver output design, or its limitations. ...worst case scenario (and possibly a big time-saver), sell them to someone with a megasquirt (DIBS!!) and pick up compatible ones....

--BillyM
Billy I didn't quite understand that...Are you saying that I shouldn't mess with the resistor pack and better not use the injectors I have? And just because I'm a bit confused, the resistor pack doesn't have to do anything with the fuel pump relays does it? Cause I think I will be eliminating that as well.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts