Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
MemberSince2000
311 Posts
Haha..by the time I graduate, hA! I wish that were sooner. However, I got about a year to go for my 2-year transfer to University of Washington. ..i hope you are done by then, haha.

But yea, its alright. You can hold off on those numbers. I understand when personal issues come to hand - all else seems lost, forgotten, or left aside to care for beneath the personal.

Well, i hope everything turns out well for ya man. God Bless.

- ed

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
If you want to see the differences between twin and single turbo, why don't you look onto 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE engines? Both came as twins, the 1J's as parallel, the 2J's as sequential, and a lot are converted to single set-ups. I know my twins will be a single sometime soon.

·
MemberSince2000
311 Posts
hehe..funny thing is, my report consists of all of those forms of engine types (7mgte (TT), 1JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GTE). I am trying to compare the performance outputs for all those forms of twin turbochargers. o well, its alright..im thinking about compairing engines for different makes and models w/ TT. Thanks for the suggestion though, hehe.

- ed

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
CelicaSUPRAMK2 said:
hehe..funny thing is, my report consists of all of those forms of engine types (7mgte (TT), 1JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GTE). I am trying to compare the performance outputs for all those forms of twin turbochargers. o well, its alright..im thinking about compairing engines for different makes and models w/ TT. Thanks for the suggestion though, hehe.

- ed
Try visiting Supraforums.com, they cover alot of 1J and 2J conversation. You can also try a forum that deals with VG30DETT, RB25DETT and RB26DETT, Nissan twin turbos.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Damn thats the coolest setup I have ever seen. Whats left to do before your done? I bet it will be a blast when your done. Why did you even buy the obx manifold looks like you made basically a whole new one ha. What are you planning on doing to the internals of the engine or whats done to it so far?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 · (Edited)
flyjum said:
Damn thats the coolest setup I have ever seen. Whats left to do before your done? I bet it will be a blast when your done. Why did you even buy the obx manifold looks like you made basically a whole new one ha. What are you planning on doing to the internals of the engine or whats done to it so far?
Thanks flyjum. By "done" you mean complete and back on the road or just the engine work? I couldn't guestimate on both counts anyway, this project has been so so unpredictable and keeps getting further n further behind...But I guess that's the story with any project of this magnitude.

You're dead right about the OBX mani, I just hoped that I could modify it to my liking :duh: (yeah right, that went bannanas) but I found the hard way that that wasn't gonna happen...

The bottom end is completely stock, no forged pistons, no fancy rods. Just freshly rebuilt head and block with an HKS mhg and ARP studs, the only thing done to the bottom end is the addition of the crank scrapper, that's all.

·
Registered
870 Posts
yannis maybe you could make something to pick my jaw up off the ground next. Your amazing and your car is gonna blow peoples minds now matter what there into when its done. keep up the stealler work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
pituala said:
If you want to see the differences between twin and single turbo, why don't you look onto 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE engines? Both came as twins, the 1J's as parallel, the 2J's as sequential, and a lot are converted to single set-ups. I know my twins will be a single sometime soon.
Why would you want to go with a single turbo on the 1JZ? I am about to purchase a mark III 1JZ-GTE from Japan soon, so I am curious if you think there is something wrong with that setup. Also with the parallel turbos, does each one take the exhaust from 3 cylinders? That's what I always assumed. Or does one feed the other?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
pituala was answering to CelicaSUPRAMK2 that wanted info for his relevant uni project, he never said there's anything wrong with the 1JZ stock twin set up.
On the 1JZ the turbos work parallel i.e.:each turbo is fed from 3 cylinders. On the other hand on the 2JZ they work sequentially, the first feeds up the second one after certain rpm, boost level etc.

BBSupramk2: thanks for the encouraging words buddy!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
So it seems that by getting started with the body work the engine work started rolling too and here here I got some progress on my engine too!!! I've done some custom work that I believe that will interest many 7mgte owners. So I had three of the engine's pulleys made of T6061 aircraft aluminum. Funny thing is that I can only recognize two of them :)crossjerk :screwy: :duh: I'm [email protected]$%ing hopeless I know...). So the two that I know of are #1) the p/s pump pulley:

and #2) the water pump pulley:

now the unknown one that I'm too dumb to recognize at the moment is this smaller one:

it's got a special retaining pin on the inside and it's not the a/c one. Hence I'm stuck untill tomorrow that I'll see my mechanic or hopefully earlier tonight/today if some smarter forum member hint/recognize the little bugger!

So the good news (and surprisingly enough there's only good news this time) is that these three costed me 180 euros (~$240 U.S.) which I personally thought is a bargain for such a one off custom job and of course the weight savings on these were unexpectedly big. These three weigh less than half of what the stockers do!!!

I actually weighed every single one to compare to the stockers and these are the results:

power steering pulley

_________________________stock pulley 614 gr.___________________________________________aluminum pulley 298 gr.

water pump pulley

______________________stock pulley 440 gr.______________________________________________aluminum pulley 210 gr.

and that annoying little pulley

_________________________stock pulley 306 gr.___________________________________________aluminum pulley 134 gr.

that's a whopping total of 718 gr. less than the stock rotating mass

that's quite impressive, right???

I now I'm a bit overwhelmed by the results by I honestly didn't expect this to end up so well.
I left these to the anodizing place earlier today and they'll be ready by tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Looks like the idler pulley for the AC tensioner. The snap ring hold the bearing in place. You do know you can already buy these from OBX?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
you are my hero. keep up the good work. what kind of oil your gonna end up running.
Shift thanks man. I guess I must be one of the most stubborn mkii owners out there that can't take NO for an answer.
Hmm engine oil? I'm so far from that point right now. I haven't looked into it yet but I am a Valvoline lover...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Shift thanks man. I guess I must be one of the most stubborn mkii owners out there that can't take NO for an answer.
Hmm engine oil? I'm so far from that point right now. I haven't looked into it yet but I am a Valvoline lover...
Well i wouldn't call you stubborn, I’d call you thorough, and or a perfectionist. (I had to use spell check for “thorough”) but keep up the good work. and don't be like my friend and try to start his freshly rebuilt mustang without remembering to put oil in.:duh:

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
eeeh...nope I didn't know this. I only knew that OBX do cam gears and a crank pulley replacement. Do they do the rest of them too?
They pop up in Yahoo Japan frequently PS, Alt, & Waterpump

221 - 240 of 280 Posts