Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
RedP85 said:
Pat, you had yours done by professionnals, people that do that for a living.
They sure have tricks we don't.
We are just DIY, so I guess it is normal we have more difficulties obtaining the perfect result !
And thats why we have this thread. I knew from day one that everyone would have problems with their first install. Theres a solution to every problem, we just have to learn it and try it. I was convinced there were several areas of the original pattern that were way off after my first install. So I got NAL to redo my install, and I came back and it looked perfect. There were a couple places where they had to adjust the pattern (which is normal, I was installing the prototypes) but overall it was pretty damn close to begin with. There are still a couple areas that take a bit too much fiddling to get good results for my liking, but it is all doable still.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well I finally got around to installing some of the leather I bought on the original group buy in prep for Vegas. I decided to do the rear seats as I was short on time last night and figured that would be the easiest. They were actually pretty easy to do.

The rear seat bottoms went fairly smoothly, and I was very happy with the finished product. I was really excited to do the seatbacks and see the entire product finished, but that excitement went away as I fumbled with trying to get the rears to fit well.

I got the passenger side to fit OK at best, and lost patience working on the drivers side, so I just hog ringed it up and slapped it in. Heres the result:

On the seat backs, the drivers seat center area lifts off of the foam backing by about an inch (big bubble). The biggest problem is the center stripe. It is about 1" too wide on the pass side and a little over .5" too wide on the drivers side when compared to the stripes on the seat bottom. The center line stitching also does not match the seat bottoms by about .5" It will definitely be going back to NAL to have the center section redone to match up properly.

I will be leaving them the way they are for now until after Vegas. Then I will pick up some celica seat backs and see how well I can get them to fit and get a final install to mark up and send back.

One thing I wish NAL would have done is use a finer grain leather on the black leather. The grey leather and black vinyl have almost identicle fine grain, but the black leather they used has a course grain. But it still looks good.

Oh well, time to get back to fighting the rusties again.

Christian

·
Registered
568 Posts
Racefiend said:
Well I finally got around to installing some of the leather I bought on the original group buy in prep for Vegas. I decided to do the rear seats as I was short on time last night and figured that would be the easiest. They were actually pretty easy to do.

The rear seat bottoms went fairly smoothly, and I was very happy with the finished product. I was really excited to do the seatbacks and see the entire product finished, but that excitement went away as I fumbled with trying to get the rears to fit well.

I got the passenger side to fit OK at best, and lost patience working on the drivers side, so I just hog ringed it up and slapped it in. Heres the result:

On the seat backs, the drivers seat center area lifts off of the foam backing by about an inch (big bubble). The biggest problem is the center stripe. It is about 1" too wide on the pass side and a little over .5" too wide on the drivers side when compared to the stripes on the seat bottom. The center line stitching also does not match the seat bottoms by about .5" It will definitely be going back to NAL to have the center section redone to match up properly.

I will be leaving them the way they are for now until after Vegas. Then I will pick up some celica seat backs and see how well I can get them to fit and get a final install to mark up and send back.

One thing I wish NAL would have done is use a finer grain leather on the black leather. The grey leather and black vinyl have almost identicle fine grain, but the black leather they used has a course grain. But it still looks good.

Oh well, time to get back to fighting the rusties again.

Christian

Looks like you could use some filler in the help to tighten them up.
Like the colour same as mine.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I just thought I'd drop a little note about NAL and their skins and such. Last I talked to the remants of the company formerly known as Northwest Auto Leather, they seemed to have decided to not get back into the leather skin game. These are the people that ran NAL on the business end and were very good to deal with. Their side company from the time, SCC Northwest, made seat covers and such.

http://www.nwseatcovers.com/

That has become their main focus now and it seems they will be sticking with it. However, the guy who ran the leather skin division has started his own company and I did talk to him the other day. As I and the other NAL owners suspected, he did not destroy all of the patterns they had, and he does in fact still have the patterns that I had made for this group buy. He can produce them still at any time as well, however the problem is he is very old school and can be difficult to deal with sometimes. He has no interest in offering online group buys nor does his company have an online portion or offer online sales. Anybody local could easily get ahold of him and have another set of leather made up, though I don't know if he would have the dragon logo scan anymore and he most certainly won't have a list of the stock matching colors I selected. If somebody needed to contact this guy to have a replacment peice for their kit made or would like to enquire if he would make a kit for them to mail out or something like that pm me and I can give you his number. This is a separate company from NAL however and theres not much chance that he would honour any warrenty work. At least the patterns still exist and new ones can be made from them.

The leatherseats.com skins are most certainly more accessable and probably a little easier for a non pro to install too. The fitment from the pictures I've seen so far has nothing on the NAL skins except perhaps ease of installation and they don't have a cloth seat pattern, but I'm thankful theres something out there readily available still. Good job Bill!

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Your comparing professionaly installed skins to ones installed by a first timer. Compare yours to mine if you want a fair comparison. These are my rear seat skins installed by NAL...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/32467734

This is one of my front seats also installed by NAL. Compare that to your fronts if you want...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/36298457

I hope Christian gets his professionaly installed sometime. I'm pretty sure the difference in center sections there could be made up with stretching the skin on properly and I know all of the loose areas can be stretched out. Thats all part of a normal install.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here Bill, just giving people an update. I am very glad you got leatherseats.com to make these skins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Redo Leather Seats

Hey:
This Floyd And I"ll Need To Do My Seats Also,just Like To Know If N W Leather Is Still Doing The Mk2 Leather Seats,and Who Do I Get In Touch With, And Is There A Style Number Or Pattern For Our Supra Seats. I Have A Black
1985 .

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
see their web site, and call them, but I beleive suprafiend said one of the owner split, and with the patterns...
http://www.nwautoleather.com

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The guy who headed up the leather side of the company has started his own company and does still have the patterns however he's not interested in internet sales. If your in the Vancouver area and want to get a hold of them I can give you the contact number.

For online orders, try leatherseats.com, they have a pattern as well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quick (silly) question: Trying to pull the entire back seat (bottom) out of my '85. I can't tell if it just pulls right on out, or if it is released by the two 'tabs' just on the underside of the cushion fronts (one on each side). Seems like they might be 'release tabs' of some kind (maybe), but I could not fiddle with them in any particular way to effect a release of the entire back seat bottom (I can easily see how to unbolt the two respective rear seat backs).

Just don't want to rough handle it and break some fittings, if there is a particular way to release it.

Thanks,

Earl

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
yes
it is released by the two 'tabs' just on the underside of the cushion fronts (one on each side).
pull the tabs forward and then lift the seat up. sometimes, they need to be convinced !

·
Registered
212 Posts
yes pull the tabs forward and then lift the seat up. sometimes, they need to be convinced !
Ok, great! I thought they must be there for a reason; I'll give it a try!!

Earl

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ok, yep that did it! You were right: it did take some tuggin' (with a pair of pliers!) to pull the tabs out, but they finally did and up she came.

Thanks again!

Earl

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I finished installing my skins a few weeks ago and thought I could add something here . After install I used Mothers leather cleaner to remove any pencil marks from manufacturing process followed by the Mothers leather conditioner. I'm also happy to report some hot days and cold nights have taken out a lot of the small wrinkles :)
CLOTH to LEATHER ::
First lets make something perfectly clear ALL FOAMS ARE THE SAME . I waited 6 mths to source a nice set of leather seat side bolsters thinking I needed them . Nope same fkn foam in the 84 cloth. Center pieces have a horizontal pattern vs vertical = doesn't matter same foam
next: Start with the rear seats .They are easier to do and will give you a feel for it before you start the fronts.
next tip : Use plastic bags over the headrests to ease the cover on . It's super tight and both zippers broke on the first attempt so I had to replace them . The bags stay inside the headrest obviously . It makes that part much easier !! The rest is take your time and get another set of hands to pull the leather tight as you install the hog rings .It's a time consuming task but don't rush it !! Use lots of rings :)

these are not NAL seat skins but the install tips might help someone wanting some nice new leather to replace that tired cloth :)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yes I do, I will have to look into this when I get the time. If anybody is actually about to install their NAL skins and needs it, PM me please.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts