Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone still have the installation guide from the first post in this thread? The link no longer works. I am trying to get some more detailed information on how these seats come apart and what all is involved in recovering if I can find someone to make the covers. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Anyone still have the installation guide from the first post in this thread? The link no longer works.
From post #78

Weblink broken, but looking for front seat leather skin install tricks I dug up the archive:

Northwest Auto Leather MK2 Supra Leather PType Seat Skin Install Guide :thumbsup:
I am trying to get some more detailed information on how these seats come apart and what all is involved in recovering if I can find someone to make the covers. Thanks in advance.
It's not exactly a simple task, and even more difficult matching offbeat coloured leather. I just redid my seat skins which required breaking a set of cloth seats down completely and using the fabric as a pattern. Fortunately in my case, a fellow member helped me out with some good back seat leather which was custom reupholstered. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw that link but was hoping someone here saved the photos and could post them again here or email them to me. I saw a couple of posts back SupraFiend mentioned they had them but their PM box is full.

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
Its not that difficult to take the seats apart. The fronts once you remove the back cover all the bolts are exposed. Everything else hog ties onto the frame. That is the easy part. The hard part is fitting the covers on. Frankly I'd recommend finding an upholster to do it. I did quite a bit of it on my own, but a lot of the NAL kit on mine just didn't fit. They had to take things apart and extend some things shorten others and so forth. In the end they still aren't perfect, but at least they are presentable.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
True enough, the seats themselves are fairly simple to disassemble, I was thinking more like the material itself - taking it apart at the seams, remove backing and flatten it to use as a pattern (esp. now that these companies no longer seem to make them)...it's a fairly labour intensive process. Finding a decent donor or back seat with the center pleats def helps. Also best to reuse original plastic parts, hooks, clips, wires etc. if you're doing it yourself or having it custom made.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I have all the photos still, should have the html file around here somewhere too. Though sounds like you are just disassembling, which like others have said is fairly easy.

Just did some work on the very first pair of NAL seat skins the other day actually. Funny enough, nobody online ever noticed that I installed the bolster skins to my drivers seat upside down. They were like that for years till Funkycheese finally saw them in person. Took one look and went, "hey, you're bolsters are upside down". Me, "what, impossible... (looks), MF!! You're right!". Problem corrected finally lol.

If anybody is going to have their interior done and pay the premium surcharge you are going to incur in having a shop redo your seats without a pattern in stock, PLEASE do it with a company that is willing to sell their skins via mail order. Sounds like leatherseats.com is getting rid of our pattern now too. Anybody interested in a set should bug leatherseats.com asap, maybe they will change their mind if they get some recent sales. BTW, last I heard, they were charging $1100 for a set of front and rear skins with a mixture of leather and vinyl (as in the no frills, entry level package). Those used to be 8 or 900 when that group buy originally happened. NAL was 800 for the whole set as I recall, but that was over 10 years ago now. You won't find a shop to redo your seats without a pattern for any less then 2grand, some have spent more then $2500.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
^ YUP! Jocelyn, yours were the first set of real nice leather reupholstered skins I'd seen in a MkII (up close and personal like). I think I even asked you if I could have a sit in :cool: After that, I knew it was just a matter of time before I bit the bullet.

If anybody is going to have their interior done and pay the premium surcharge you are going to incur in having a shop redo your seats without a pattern in stock, PLEASE do it with a company that is willing to sell their skins via mail order.
Not likely any company would repop them in OEM leather, so I had mine done locally - a one off L/P hybrid (no pattern to share). I even had to skimp on the stitching due to a lack of matching TC material (sans French stitch), but my back seats were still pretty minty and I wanted to keep those Warrior skins :naughty:

... I am trying to get some more detailed information on how these seats come apart and what all is involved in recovering if I can find someone to make the covers. Thanks in advance.
I did ask ABC Interiors if they would do other CS members' seats in a more typical colour with the original pattern, stitch etc. :confused:
Having had experience with mine now, they said would do and even more likely if it were in multiples, but def don't expect it overnight...and as Seamus said, expect 1 to 2G's complete, plus someone would have to donate their old P's to the cause.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Did they just use your original skins as the template? Usually they use the original skins to make a template.

Your acronyms don't make sense btw, PTypes were available in leather. The pattern should be described as Leather vs Cloth. We did both patterns for the NAL group buy.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Yes, we used my original skins as template: P-type cloth backrest/L-type leather bottom, hence the hybrid acronym. I could have stayed 100% original, but to the untrained eye, nobody would be the wiser. Went this route, mainly 'cuz condition of the P-type vs L-type runners and buckets I had, plus I just like the P-type seats better (esp. lumbar support). Didn't wanna build on rust and the P vs L seats have different plastic moulding and I wanted to reuse my TC bits. Another bonus was the availability of materials including my original minty TC seat bottom sides and trim parts that were reused. The frame had to be modified to accept this conversion. It ended up being a bigger project than I had originally anticipated.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Ah yes, not surprising that went away when the board changed hands. I might have a backup of that doc somewhere if people really want me to dig it up. In case you didn't notice though, that post was from 2004 and these seat skins haven't been available for more then a decade. However the guide helps with any DIY leather seat skin instillation. There have been other skin kits over the years, might still be some available currently even, and having a guide around specific to the mk2 seats doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I'm so glad I jumped into this, can't thank you enough Seamus for all your meticulous work on the subject.

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
If anyone has a lead on someone making skins currently please jump in, my fronts in the 86 need it bad ?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
T, check out eBay seller might be an option, no info on the forums from peeps on fitment...

81 - 96 of 96 Posts