Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice big rust hole above the rear wheels, and if I look down where my speaker installs, I can see the ground. What is the best way to go about fixing such a rust spot?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Being that it has evolved into a hole, all you can do is cut out enough metal to completely remove the rust and weld in a new piece of metal. If I interpret your post correctly, its in the wheelwell? If thats the case, you don't really have to worry about getting the replacement metal piece the exact size/shape of the hole (since asthetics won't matter). Just slap a bigger piece of metal over the hole and weld it together. Make sure you use a good metal treatment like "metal prep 79" on it and primer/paint it when you're done.

Christian

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i know this is an old post, but thanks for the info, and the suggestion, as i just looked at my car and found mild rust there too.

going to fix it this week, but my question is:

is there anything that could light on fire inside the wheelwell, on the inner side?
i couldnt see anything flammable, but id hate to torch my car for lack of asking a simple question.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That is the rear speaker area. There are wires and insulation inside the panel. Its very easy to get to just a few screws and clips.
I also have the hole problem :( but now I know where all the dust is coming from :roll:

-Wil

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
welp, i just removed my entire rear interior :(
im gonna post pics, but the rot is worse than i thought, with luck, its salvagable, but i guess the pics will tell.

if its not repairable, im gonna end up buying another mkII and save this one for parts, since the interior is mint, and the rest of the car seems to have had pretty damn good care.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
anyone??

im getting an autobody guy come take a look at it, but i trust you folks more than some guy who has never worked on a supra.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
HOLY RUST BATMAN!! :shock: :evilbat: I would leave that to a professional

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I would say thats definately a job for a Professional. Looks like a cut-out and Weld-in replacement type of rust..

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ok thanks, i guess ill let the autobody guys look at it, the first guy who saw it said it should be fixable, and shouldnt affect the integrity of the car, which made my day, right after hearing that big 6 fire up on the first turn :D

its been a good day :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
get a sandblaster and blast the inside and outside of the shock towers then weld in paches on the big holes and por15 the hell out of it alot less $ then some joe doing it for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts