Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ive just bought a Z11 Soarer, and it has a 5MGEU motor in it with a blown headgasket.. well, apparently anyway. I am currently going to strip the motor down for a full rebuild next week after my exams, and would like to know some things about these engines, any information would be much appreciated.

Do 7mgeu cams fit into the 5mgeu's place? Does this give better lift/duration, is there a need to grind the head for this. Sorry, im a bit new with the DOHC's.. so im not sure what the two things on the head are called. :D

I heard that the 7mgeu crank could be fitted in place of the 5mgeu, which would give it a 3L capacity.

Would all the 5mgeu gear (exhaust manifold and inlet manifold) fit onto the 7mgeu, just in case i decide to buy a stocker 7mgeu for now.

My plans are a stroked 3L 5MGEU, with hopefully 7mgeu cams, either that or some nice stage 1 jap cams, adjustable timing gear with a full recond of the motor, blueprinted and the head ported and polished, and the ports matched, to the custom exhaust manifold. Hopefully providing me with enough grunt to blow most NA cars away..

After this, i will probably then fit a small, T3 turbo with a small intercooler and some 7mgte injectors and aftermarket ecu, i have read the guides on how to do this, so i doubt id need any help with this at the moment. Sorry about the long post.

Thanks alot
Nate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add to this.. ive just found this from another thread. I didnt want to hi-jack that thread, so i posted here...

82Spearco said:
Just to clarify, Mike Lewitz is running the 5m head on the 7mgte bottom end. This allowed him to retain the 5m electronics, increase displacement, and take advantage of the oil squirters in the 7mgte block.
Could i run the NA 7MGEU bottom end, and have a 3L with more compression due to the smaller head, and fit the 7MGEU cams for more lift/duration? I think id rather retain the original engine numbers, as the car wouldnt be really roadworthy at the moment in the state its in. Its licenced though, so it wouldnt have to go for inspection when im done, if i dont change the block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks, i didnt realise that. Ive found out all the other information, anything extra would be appreciated. The only thing i have found out yet is if the cranks fit, and if they make the displacement 3000cc.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Crank is not a easy/simple drop in. You will need to do some machining in order to get it to fit properly.

If you are going through all of this trouble, you might be better off acquiring a 6MGE instead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, im thinking the 1jz at the moment.. is there any other really easy.. easy as in bolt in.. engine swaps that would yield power in the 220rwhp+ range.. im looking at about 220rwhp-280rwhp.. something that would get me into the low 13's or high 12's even with more boost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, scrap that idea :p Too much work/expense.. im going with the stock 5mgeu with fitted 7mgeu crank, custom exhaust manifold and metal head gasket. Turbo, intercooler, boost controller and BOV of course as well :) I think ill need to run oil/water lines to the turbo, so i have to plot this conversion out 1st.. but it should sit me right on the money for what i want.. if i run std compression.. (about 8.8:1 or something?) and then use no more than 10psi boost on a T3 turbo.. what turbo would be the best for these motors, as i know the T3 was stock for some 3 litre motors, im not sure whether it would be too big/small.. i can aquire T25's very easily.. and cheaper.. but i doubt they would give enough boost.. but under them at full load, im sure they could?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts