Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I just bought my first car, a 1985 toyota celica supra (mkII, straight 6, 2.8 L engine). I payed $350 for the car. I wasn't aware of what a nice car i had just invested in at the time. The engine runs good and everything; although, it could use a little work. The body is in pretty bad shape. Does anyone know of any source that has '85 supra parts? i need tail light replacement, siding replacement, bondo work, steering wheel needs work, windows are missing black lining, right headlight is missing that black lining. also, i currently have 235 60/14 tires on it. i know the stock tires are 225 60/14. the speedometer reads 5 mph higher than what i really am going. could this be because of the tires? does anyone know where i can buy a battery for the car? i just need somewhere to start so i can refurbish this beauty. i will post pics of the specific work needed later. one last thing, is there anywhere where i can buy an intake manifold for it? or a similar one that would fit it? please private message or reply to post. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

edit: just posted my video. check it out if you want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr7nPEy7EXo
it's kind of long. i didn't remember to show or say everything i wanted to because i was trying to rush and make it short.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The internet will be your friend, this website will be your friend, Pep Boys (my battery is from there) will be your friend, junkyards might be your friend.

Yes speedo is off cause of 235s (I have them but I don't think mine is off that high). If you dont' like it being off, find 225s or calibrate your speedo.

If you can't find Supras at your local junkyards these guys here (vendors and the non-vendors) should be able to help you out. Use the search engine. Someone here should be able to supply an intake manifold for you.

Don't know how much you know about cars in general, but if you don't know a lot spend a lot of time searching the forum for answers. Asking the same questions everyone asks everytime they show up will be less productive on your end than finding the information, since it is already is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

more details about car, driver side key hole thingy doesn't stay in place... falls in door. any ideas how to fix? windows squeak when rolled up or down... wd40 maybe? how much does pep boys charge for a front end alignment? window trim needs replacing. No junk yards where i live have 85 supras. if any one know of some close to lousiville ky that would have 85 supras, please notify.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
more details about car, driver side key hole thingy doesn't stay in place... falls in door. any ideas how to fix?

windows squeak when rolled up or down... wd40 maybe?

how much does pep boys charge for a front end alignment?
window trim needs replacing.
No junk yards where i live have 85 supras. if any one know of some close to lousiville ky that would have 85 supras, please notify.
-Like was said before SEARCH, use it, or you will get no help on here in about a month s time.

-Did you call up Pep Boys? Do you have a phone where you are at? Is there a Pep Boys nearby you can go ask if you do not have a phone?

-Did you try calling any junkyards near you to see if they had any Supra's or knew who had some?

The phonebook, google, and search will get you far. Just asking these questions on here without trying to find them yourself will get you no where.:SM130 (1):

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tried

i searched the internet many times for supra parts. i finally found this website today. there's no pep boys for at least 150 miles from where i live. i have no phone. i've visited the closest junk yards to my house and they do not have supras. i've done everything i can, that's why i came on here to ask.

-Like was said before SEARCH, use it, or you will get no help on here in about a month s time.

-Did you call up Pep Boys? Do you have a phone where you are at? Is there a Pep Boys nearby you can go ask if you do not have a phone?

-Did you try calling any junkyards near you to see if they had any Supra's or knew who had some?

The phonebook, google, and search will get you far. Just asking these questions on here without trying to find them yourself will get you no where.:SM130 (1):

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
larger diameter tires would cause the speedo to read slower.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
LOL, midnight I just now remember that from the tire calculator that was posted in some thread. It ain't nowhere near 5mph slower either so his just jacked up haha.

pachuco, you have not done everything you can...Pep Boys is not the only parts dealers in the world. Google and the phone book will help you find more. As far as for how to use this website, here's an example: At the bottom of this forum there's a section called Parts For Sale. You go down there and make a thread called WTB: Intake Manifold. Look at a few posts to see what info you need to give and people with the part (if there are any) will try and help you out/make some green paper haha.

·
Super Moderator
8,573 Posts
There is a section called "Wanted" down at the bottom of forum mainpage. I already moved one of your posts there. Put a list together or edit that post preferably of the parts you want. There are people all over the country that have these things rotting in their backyards as parts cars.

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
^ What he said.

I don't care where you are in Kentucky, you have a parts store within 20 miles.

Stop posting and read for a few weeks... "Where can I buy a battery." and "Can I get a different intake manifold." are things that will generally get you slammed on by most and ignored by all.

Google, forum search, ebay, car-part.com, rockauto.com, all your friends...

Posting multiple threads for your uninformed wants and compulsory desires, not your friends...

--billyM

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sure

come to hardinsburg, ky. the only non family owned parts store is advance auto and they only carry my battery for 100 bucks. i can get other parts but for higher prices.

^ What he said.

I don't care where you are in Kentucky, you have a parts store within 20 miles.

Stop posting and read for a few weeks... "Where can I buy a battery." and "Can I get a different intake manifold." are things that will generally get you slammed on by most and ignored by all.

Google, forum search, ebay, car-part.com, rockauto.com, all your friends...

Posting multiple threads for your uninformed wants and compulsory desires, not your friends...

--billyM

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
Then get a more mainstream non-reverse terminal battery and lengthen the leads. There are plenty of solutions that don't include blathering on a public community site. Get out there and spend some time under the hood, away from the keyboard.

You won't learn a single thing posting up every impulsive thought you have on this forum. You will be ignored, plain and simple. What you need to do is put together all your information, do research, and if you have a specific, well-informed question, post it up. You will then find it will start a good discussion where you will receive all the help you could ever want.

www.ebay.com
www.car-part.com
www.rockauto.com

We won't hand-feed you here, not happening.

--billyM

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i could spend all day under the hood and it won't do any good if i don't have a clue what i'm looking at. i got to get my information first before i try and look at anything. if you don't want to respond to my forum, you don't have to. if you don't like it, quit complaining and click the back button.

Then get a more mainstream non-reverse terminal battery and lengthen the leads. There are plenty of solutions that don't include blathering on a public community site. Get out there and spend some time under the hood, away from the keyboard.

You won't learn a single thing posting up every impulsive thought you have on this forum. You will be ignored, plain and simple. What you need to do is put together all your information, do research, and if you have a specific, well-informed question, post it up. You will then find it will start a good discussion where you will receive all the help you could ever want.

www.ebay.com
www.car-part.com
www.rockauto.com

We won't hand-feed you here, not happening.

--billyM

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
i got to get my information first before i try and look at anything. if you don't want to respond to my forum, you don't have to. if you don't like it, quit complaining and click the back button.
-Getting your information is much different than asking for it. Just about everything you would want to know about the car is on here, and has been discussed, you just need to find it on your own instead of expecting us to provide the answer for you.

-It is not your forum, it may be your topic, but who cares? You seem to want to ignore what people are telling you and expecting to be able to sit back and have people give you answers to your questions instead of taking the time to find them on your own.

Want to know more about your car and actually have people on here help you? Spend about 2 months doing nothing but reading on here before you ask anything, and even then, before you ask, look for it.

You want to get pissy with people showing you the direction you need to go, and after a while, you will get no help here.

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i don't expect anyone to work their ass off and lose sleep trying to get me answers. i don't expect anyone to work at all trying to get me answers. i just would like to know. if someone is gracious enough to help me out then thank you. i looked at another forum posted where this guy posted a whole list of stuff wrong, at least 58 minor and major mixed, with his supra and no one was being a smart ass towards him. everyone on their had no problem helping him.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Pachuco, read, read, read and relax.

In the short term, let me offer you this: if you are fortunate enough to live near a do-it-yourself junkyard, you can generally get all of the parts you need at dirt cheap prices. You do! Congrats! And Louisville got an 85 supra in on 12/03, according to pullapart.com. I spent last Sat there in one of our three Atlanta locations. It's a treasure hunt.

Just go there and read the prices. You'll only know what parts are left by going and checking out the cars. There are hundreds. The poor SOB's who don't have one in town will be envious. Prices are clearly stated on the website before you go, and you do all the work yourself. You'll practice pulling your own pieces off the car before you screw up your own car, and the remaining hulk will be crushed after it's picked over. Costs a dollar for admission. Have some basic tools, pick a wheelbarrow at the door, and you'll have a blast.

Also, the other members are very impatient with beginners. I also joined in a rush after having car trouble and was eager to get advice on a nagging problem. Read and search and you'll figure most of it out. I gotta do some work stuff now, but get yourself a Haynes manual, like Dready says, and read the threads you'll find with the search button. Fellow members DO have tons of trim parts lying around, so just be patient. Make some friends. Don't piss anybody off with your first posts, and it'll get easier. I usually give stuff away to members.

I travel to KY several times a year to visit my parents, who retired in Hancock Co. I might have some of the parts you need, but I am snowed with work and final exams this week. I'll be up near Owensboro next week. I'll try to re-read your post.

Fastspoolsupra is a nice kid who used to have a second gen supra near Versailles. Maybe you can pm him. I think he has a mk III now though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i could spend all day under the hood and it won't do any good if i don't have a clue what i'm looking at.
take it apart and put it back together.. that's a good way to find out how things work..

better yet. get a manual.

every piece of these cars is VERY well documented, by Toyota themselves..

but you know.. huge companies just build cars and don't write anything down about them and mechanics just know how to fix every car right?

:eekfacepalm:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
i searched the internet many times for supra parts. i finally found this website today. there's no pep boys for at least 150 miles from where i live. i have no phone. i've visited the closest junk yards to my house and they do not have supras. i've done everything i can, that's why i came on here to ask.
autozone- 21 miles away
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/st...rgetPage=storeLocatorResults&_requestid=48327

pepboys- 43 miles away
http://pepboys.know-where.com/pepbo...&region_name=&region=&place=40143&mapx=&mapy=

advanced auto parts- 1 MILE AWAY AND 21 MILES AWAY
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tAddress=&city=&state=&zipCode=40143&radius=0

stop with your fucking bullshit

1 - 20 of 29 Posts