Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Members,

I just realized that I have a 6m so I need this parts for my 85 Supra that I purchased last month. It did not pass smog so my mechanic was doing a full tune up and noticed that he can not get a timing reading. He then saw that the pulleys are defective even though there were no visible cracks.

thanks

Nick

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
Hello Members,

I just realized that I have a 6m so I need this parts for my 85 Supra that I purchased last month. It did not pass smog so my mechanic was doing a full tune up and noticed that he can not get a timing reading. He then saw that the pulleys are defective even though there were no visible cracks.

thanks

Nick

1st, how do you know you have a 6M? The stamp on the block says this?
2nd, I know Cali sucks with smog laws, but that sounds a little silly. The pulley cannot be defective in a way that it won't show a timing reading, unless it was WAY too advanced because he didn't disable the electronic spark advance. When your engine is running, does that pulley look like it's wobbling at all? Is there a clicking noise from that area?

And FYI 6MGE pulleys are very rare and VERY expensive $200-300, so I would be sure you REALLY do need this before throwing down the cash for one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the stamp on the block says 6m.
There was no noise when the engine was running. I dont know if the pulley was wobbly, I test drove another Supra with a 6m and the power difference was so significant than mine that I thought that I just have a 5m. I asked him to replace the timing belt and that is how he discovered the pulley. My mechanic said that he can put it back on but it will just give me problems . I read that others used a 7m pulley?
thanks for your replies

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
if the pulley is damamged than it might have damaged the crank snout as well, as it's usually the key that grinds into both the pulley and the snout. I would get more detailed reasons from your mechanic other than just "pulley is bad".

I am using the 7M crank pulley, but do not have power steering or a/c

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Some closeups of the snout with a good camera would help. I'm in Santa Cruz. You should network with bay area members. I don't know what your car is worth, but you say it lacks power. How many miles on the 6M? If you have to replace the crank, you might assess the situation and do a rebuild if called for. Compression test might tell you something.
I know a guy is giving away 7M parts in on this site if you need a crank or HB.
Or , if you check Ebay, you might find the rare 6M pulley.
Ok, your car is nice. I know a 6M crank pulley is costly, but you have a nice ride. A rebuild/mod would be justified if the motor needs it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey if the 6m is running a 7m block what is the difference with the balancer on the 6m and the 7m?

and it is pretty sad that a pulley off of a 6m can cost up to $300 when i payed less than that for my whole rebuilt 6m....... good ole hong-kong engine sales.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
david
the 7m has everything in a different spot compared to a 5m/6m

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I have a 6M and have done some reading. Tanya''s input was good. You basically need a 6M pulley or a bored out 5M pulley which is weak, or, you go with the 7m pulley and try to somehow install the belt driven components in 7M fashion. There are threads on this.
So it's either a 5M setup or 7M. I know there are some creative solutions to using the 7m HB to 6M block.

·
Registered
837 Posts
touche. just wondering. but as far a depth of the balancer itself, it is the same size just belts located in different locals hunh?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
hey if the 6m is running a 7m block what is the difference with the balancer on the 6m and the 7m?

and it is pretty sad that a pulley off of a 6m can cost up to $300 when i payed less than that for my whole rebuilt 6m....... good ole hong-kong engine sales.
The 6M is basically a 5M block with a 7M crankshaft, hence the label 6M and need for a 6M pulley or 7M pulley.

·
Registered
837 Posts
yeah i understand all that but i didn't even realize there was a difference between the 5m and the 6m pulley until not to long ago. and when tanya was just saying that you could use the 7m i figured that was the difference is that the 6m uses the 7m pulley since it has the 7m block. but obviously as you can probably tell i have never really stood over and inspected a 7m.......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not know the history of the car since I bought it from a guy who bought it from a tow yard recently. This was the reason why I hesitated in buying it first compared to the other 6m powered Supra on my introductory post. The condition of the body, interior attracted me to the car. It drove well when I took it home from Sacramento but it is not torquey compared to the other 6m. Spark plugs were fouled so I was hoping that a tuneup was the culprit and get it to pass smog so I can register it. I am willing to get it rebuilt after I get it running and transferred to my name. It has been in the shop since the 1st. Which shops can rebuild this engine here in the bay Area.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
yeah i understand all that but i didn't even realize there was a difference between the 5m and the 6m pulley until not to long ago. and when tanya was just saying that you could use the 7m i figured that was the difference is that the 6m uses the 7m pulley since it has the 7m block. but obviously as you can probably tell i have never really stood over and inspected a 7m.......
To clear it up: The 6M pulley is specially designed to fit the 7M crankshaft but allow the 5M alt, PS pump, ectl setup. If you resort to the 7m pulley , it's a bit complicated.

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
enough about the pulley right now. you clearly have serious crank snout d amage. either you are going to need a new crankshaft or attempt to have the snout welded up. in all honesty, I'd get a new crank and just rebuild the whole thing at the same time.

if you really wanna keep your a/c and power steering, start looking for a 6M pulley right now by putting a WTB ad in the classified section.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Crank could be fine (unless I'm missing pics). You could have a distributor that's not set properly. Also, the TPS wiring, or TPS itself could be bad. That'll throw the timing off a lot as well.
-Aaron

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
^you fail at viewing the pics. the crank snout is CHEWED up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts