Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expecting bad news.. buying a mk1 with no rear. Need a rear. Who has one, where can i get one, expected cost? Mk2 irs swap ever been done? If all else fails it might have to get a ford 9" haha... need some help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The closest relative is the MX72 Cressida Wagon but the ring is 7.1" instead of 7.5" and it has drum brakes. It's a downgrade in durability however if you have stock power than no one would be the wiser in terms of performance. I have heard that the Previa SC is a possible candidate however I have not seen one to confirm anything at least like the width.

The mk1 axle prices I have seen are from $500 to $1k and they likely need brake rebuilds and the gears likely suspect too causing a $500 axle to end up costing $1k anyway. That is if you can find one.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
Or even maybe a rear diff assembly from a same year(s) Toy truck??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou. Im not sure that i can find a cressida wagon around here.. im interested to here more about the truck idea. Just need something.

The closest relative is the MX72 Cressida Wagon but the ring is 7.1" instead of 7.5" and it has drum brakes. It's a downgrade in durability however if you have stock power than no one would be the wiser in terms of performance. I have heard that the Previa SC is a possible candidate however I have not seen one to confirm anything at least like the width.

The mk1 axle prices I have seen are from $500 to $1k and they likely need brake rebuilds and the gears likely suspect too causing a $500 axle to end up costing $1k anyway. That is if you can find one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going to look at a MK1 for part out tomorrow or sunday. Need some parts for mine, but not the rear axle.
I can let you know in what kind of shape it is. Only problem is that it is more than 10h drive away from you.

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Honestly you're probably better off just getting a Ford 8.8 out of 90s early 2000s Explorer. This way you'll get modern disc brakes and a stronger (and cheaper rear end). The bummer is you'd still need to find a rear end with the same mounts so you can transfer those over. You should be able to do the same 5 lug swap the Mk2 does so you'd have 5 lug all around. The Mk1 rear end is worth more than the MK1 hence why you're buying one without the rear end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive got a lead on one for 700$. Might have to do the 8.8 if this doesnt work out. Anyone make a thread on this swap?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts