Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an alternator from nix99 earlier this week and I just got it. The box it was in was kinda crappy and it was packaged bad. I opened up the box and out comes a nasty alternator that has the case tweaked out a bit, some of the packaging was even inside the alternator casing as the casing was bent out! The pulley on the alternator is rusted and very dingy looking. I turn to pulley and I hear a grinding noise, halfway through the turn it stops. I turn it back the other way and half a turn and it stops and grinds. I do this a few times and finally it looses up and I hear a piece of metal fall and rattle around. I'm like, ugh. Did I just freaking waste $60 by ordering from nix99 or is this to be expected. When I talked to the guy over the phone he assured me the alternator would be in working order but I'm not very sure if this will work or not. It barely turns. Should I have them replace it or should I have a shop rebuild this one or what?

I'm not that car savvy so I don't know what to do. Any quick help would be appreciated as I need my car running and I would like to call nix99 to resolve this if that is what is best.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just showed my alternator to my uncle who knows alot about cars, he said there is no possible way this alternator is in working condition. The backside of the case is bent out and so is the little terminal on the back. He turned the pulley and that grinding sound again then it just stopped again. There is something inside that rattles and stopped the pulley and it won't even move now. nix99 does do returns or exchanges right? cause this has to go back.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Nix99 is a very reputable shop. They are a member of this board and I think I can say with some certainty that the alternator was most likely damaged in transit to you. I can't see why they wouldn't replace it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I sure hope so. I mean I don't mind the look of the slight rust and weather wear of it really. I expect it to kinda look shabby from being old and used, but the pulley should at least turn without resistance and grinding and stopping. I really doubt this works and I wouldn't put it on my car.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I replaced my alternator two months ago. I paid too much(160.00 CAN) or so I was told but...when the part quit working after 1 month I was able to take it back with no reciept and get a replacement.
More cost = peace of mind. And an alternator is supposed to last for a long time(over 20 years for the stock one) so I dont mind to much paying the higher cost. Averaged over the life of the alternator plus the peace of mind of an in town warranty makes the price acceptable.
just my 0.02cents
-Wil

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah. I didn't want to spend the $180 plus core exchange for the one at napa and since my friend can rebuild them I figured I'd save $100+ and get a used one. Hope it will be replaced though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just got a rebuilt for my 84, cost 95.00 from O'reilly's, case as new, all new guts, solved all my electrical problems( Just is 1200miles ago or about 5 months)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called up nix99 today and they guy was cool about it. He said he made sure it was working before it was sent off and it was prolly damaged in shipping. He said he was sending UPS out to pick it up and they'll send me another one.

While describing what was wrong with it and looking at it more closely it does resemble damage done by dropping (or throwing/kicking/stomping in UPS's case).
Just another bad experience with UPS. Always go FEDEX when possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
90 % of the alternator faults, is due to worn out carbon brushes, this is fairly easy and cheap to fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts