Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHere is the e-brake on the drivetrain? My ebrake doesn't work and I don't think that it is the brake cable itself seems more like something is broken in the ebrake assembly.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
remove the caliper and pads and the rotor and then there is your drums for the e-brake, see if the shoes are worn off, if they are its pretty expensive to replace them if you go through toyota never priced anywhere else. If there is still life left put the rotor back on and make sure its on there, try tighting down a lug nut on there to keep it steady then take off the little rubber stopper and rotate the rotor until the you can see the adjuster wheel through it and turn it until the shoes get closer to the drum and then check your e-brake that should fix it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
suprathepeg said:
WHere is the e-brake on the drivetrain? My ebrake doesn't work and I don't think that it is the brake cable itself seems more like something is broken in the ebrake assembly.
check the cable at the handle. you'll have to remove the console to check it.

also, the mechanism is self adjusting. if the cable isn't broken, and the shoes have any meat on them (they are thin from the factory), try operating the handle several times to see if they tighten up. yo may end up doing a job on the drum mechanicals.

good luck

·
Registered
306 Posts
One cable from hand brake, into equalizer(bar with 2 slots) then splits to two cables which run through the rear crossmember and are tied down on the rear control arms which then use a harpoon style fitting going into back of hug assbley area. AS mentioned above, parking breaks are inside the rear rotors. They are the same set up as if they were very small drum brakes, starwheel, springs, shoes etc.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Uhmm.... Correction....

TWO cables from the e-brake lever to the equalizer.... There is a upper & lower cable.

Take it from someone who has had to replace this cable. Add in the fact that you have to snake it around the driveshaft upon install... It is a PITA. And I personally ordered it from Toyota, so I do know it has 2 cables, according to the EPC. :shock:

·
Registered
306 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
Uhmm.... Correction....

TWO cables from the e-brake lever to the equalizer.... There is a upper & lower cable.

Take it from someone who has had to replace this cable. Add in the fact that you have to snake it around the driveshaft upon install... It is a PITA. And I personally ordered it from Toyota, so I do know it has 2 cables, according to the EPC. :shock:
hrm, just did this 2 days ago, one cable on my 85.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mine didnt work, turns out all I had to do was tighten up the cable on the handle: pull off console, where the cable attaches to the handle, there are two nuts, hold one, turn the other and it will bring up the slack in the cable. Tighten the top nut to hold it in place. Now it is kinda weak, but it holds the car from moving.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well if you look at the set up in the parking brake assembly, all it is, is a lever system which seperates the two shoes, nothing fancy, jut holds the car when it needs to park.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Dragonfyre said:
CJSREDPRA said:
Uhmm.... Correction....

hrm, just did this 2 days ago, one cable on my 85.
Did it before I went to MIR for the meet. One cable on my '86.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts