Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello other not boring people lol I have a 1uz id like to swap into my 1985 supra heres what i need help with, if I buy a quantum auto, w58 to auto bellhousing from the ls400 what clutch and flywheel should I go with to make sure it reaches my output shaft? Im worried with the adapter plater that my output shaft wont be long enough. Preferably a stage 2 clutch. Now I have a factory w58 but I here you need to bring the trans forward 2" unless you have a mk3 w58, is there anyway around this or no? How long of drive shaft do I need and what rad and fuel pumps work best for this.

what I have
91 1uz non vvti front sump
mk2 factory w58
ls400 auto trans for bellhousing
91 1uz ecu
Gonna be starting on this build soon, i know there are threads that answer some questions but they dont give enough info on what I need so if sombody can provide pictures, links, lists, and replies that would be very helpful thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello other not boring people lol I have a 1uz id like to swap into my 1985 supra heres what i need help with, if I buy a quantum auto, w58 to auto bellhousing from the ls400 what clutch and flywheel should I go with to make sure it reaches my output shaft? Im worried with the adapter plater that my output shaft wont be long enough. Preferably a stage 2 clutch. Now I have a factory w58 but I here you need to bring the trans forward 2" unless you have a mk3 w58, is there anyway around this or no? How long of drive shaft do I need and what rad and fuel pumps work best for this.

what I have
mk2 factory w58
91 1uz ecu
Gonna be starting on this build soon, i know there are threads that answer some questions but they dont give enough info on what I need so if sombody can provide pictures, links, lists, and replies that would be very helpful thanks!
  • Looks like you can buy a clutch from quantum auto when you get the adaptor plate. I would recommend just doing that to make sure you have the correct size.
  • The MK2 and MK3 W58 trans are the same size. The difference is where the shift is due to a different housing for the shifter. When I had my W58 I found the parts on ebay to swap to the 3rd gen Supra shifter housing which put the shift perfectly in the middle of the factory shifter hole. Prior to that the shifter was slightly forward and I had to trim just a little bit to fit. It also made it harder to stay in 3rd gear.
  • For the driveshaft you will need to measure once you get the motor and trans in where you want it. I think each swap is slightly different on where the engine and trans ends up.
  • The Walbro 255 from Raptor Racing is what I am using and it has no problems keeping up (stock 1uz). I would recommend a radiator from a 3rd gen supra or getting the one specifically for a 2nd gen at Raptor racing.

One of your biggest obstacles will be your exhaust manifolds. The steering shaft causes some issues on clearance for most options to fit. Some have been able to use the Tundra manifolds but that depends on where you end up placing the engine. For mine I put it as far back as possible and so I have to face exhaust manifolds forward and then make a 180 with the exhaust to get it to exit with enough clearance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  • Looks like you can buy a clutch from quantum auto when you get the adaptor plate. I would recommend just doing that to make sure you have the correct size.
  • The MK2 and MK3 W58 trans are the same size. The difference is where the shift is due to a different housing for the shifter. When I had my W58 I found the parts on ebay to swap to the 3rd gen Supra shifter housing which put the shift perfectly in the middle of the factory shifter hole. Prior to that the shifter was slightly forward and I had to trim just a little bit to fit. It also made it harder to stay in 3rd gear.
  • For the driveshaft you will need to measure once you get the motor and trans in where you want it. I think each swap is slightly different on where the engine and trans ends up.
  • The Walbro 255 from Raptor Racing is what I am using and it has no problems keeping up (stock 1uz). I would recommend a radiator from a 3rd gen supra or getting the one specifically for a 2nd gen at Raptor racing.

One of your biggest obstacles will be your exhaust manifolds. The steering shaft causes some issues on clearance for most options to fit. Some have been able to use the Tundra manifolds but that depends on where you end up placing the engine. For mine I put it as far back as possible and so I have to face exhaust manifolds forward and then make a 180 with the exhaust to get it to exit with enough clearance.
Thank you so much!! I kinda thought the walbro 255 would work,the other info you provided is awesome! what did you do for tachometer for the swap? Also was it expensive getting all the mk3 w58 components?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thank you so much!! I kinda thought the walbro 255 would work,the other info you provided is awesome! what did you do for tachometer for the swap? Also was it expensive getting all the mk3 w58 components?
I just put in an aftermarket tach. The parts for the MK3 shifter housing swap wasn't expensive but did take a little patience and searching on ebay.

·
Registered
208 Posts
okay, what do i all need from mk3?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you!

·
Registered
46 Posts

what I have
mk2 factory w58
91 1uz ecu

Hey there not boring person. I have a car with the complete swap I'm willing to sell. Car is in pretty good shape. P.M me for details if ya want.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I went way overkill on my radiator, 3 core aluminum through George @ Raptor Racing. Had them build it with the correct placement of inlet/outlet too. For engine mounts, Xcessive for me also. Clutch feed line, I had one custom-made from Techna-Fit, but their website seems to be under construction now. Not sure if they're still in business or not. The bleed line came with my clutch kit from SupraStore.com, Lonnie is a font of information on the 1UZ swap for the mk2 supras.
Honestly, most everything will fit just fine with the clutch/bell kit and the engine mounts, its just the driver's side exhaust manifold that will give you fits. The 2UZ manifolds (iirc) from a tundra work pretty well with only minor modification. Cut the flange off and weld up stainless direct to the pipe so it angles inward and back/down. You'll have to do this once the engine is installed and everything is in place.
As for tach, there's a bunch of info on doing this online, but I can't help ya with that part as I went Haltech ecu and modified the oem tach to work properly with the pulse from the new ecu.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome thank you so much!! Im getting my clutch from quantum auto just so i know it will fit jnless there’s another stage 1 clutch that will work for me? So your saying i dont meed aftermarket clutch lines as the factory ones should work fine? Are they long enough? And cant i bleed a clutch with any clutch bleeder

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nope, you'll need a clutch line to the throwout bearing (assuming you're doing a hydro throwout bearing). The one I made went directly from the clutch master all the way to the throwout, just used a stiff wire from a piece of Romex to figure out my length from point to point. The throwout bearing should have a solid brass fitting with a bleeder nut on the end, but that will end up inside your bellhousing and you won't be able to bleed it easily, if at all. You'll need a short line from the bearing to just outside your bellhousing. This came with my clutch kit though, not sure what comes with your Quantum kit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts