Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need help and advise as I am still a bit confused with all my research with how to do this on a MK2... so I want to ditch the 5M, I can pick up a 2jzge non vvti pretty cheap, now I read that in a mk3 you can swap a 2jzge non vvti and turbo it, and use all the stock 7m harness ecu sensors ect… now I know putting a 7mgte in a mk2 has been done many times so would it be a good idea to find a 7mgte ecu harness plus sensors ect and use that on the mk2? or is there a easier method without going standalone? I also want my digidash to work as its my favorite part, Sorry if any of this sounds stupid but I have swapped engines many times were I take something out and the same thing back but never a engine from a different car all together,

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
no, not a good idea. Best to use a standalone to turbo a 2JZ-GE and wire it in with a custom harness properly from the start. Or get a non VVTI 1JZ.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, not a good idea. Best to use a standalone to turbo a 2JZ-GE and wire it in with a custom harness properly from the start. Or get a non VVTI 1JZ.
what would be the cheapest option for a standalone with harness? can I use my digidash and cluster like regular? what is the difference if I get a 1jz non vvti compared to 2jzge non vvti?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
A 1JZ-GTE non vvti with the harness and ECU you can just wire into the car and use the stock 1JZ engine computer.

Cheapest that is decent might be ECUmaster EMU black (what I use). You need to make a custom harness to adapt it to the mk2 power feeds and body connections, and to the stock cluster which will work fine. Just need a tach adapter for the tachometer and make sure the engine oil pressure switch and cluster coolant temp sender are wired up to your cluster properly.

You will need to build the harness yourself. No off the shelf options. Research time!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 1JZ-GTE non vvti with the harness and ECU you can just wire into the car and use the stock 1JZ engine computer.

Cheapest that is decent might be ECUmaster EMU black (what I use). You need to make a custom harness to adapt it to the mk2 power feeds and body connections, and to the stock cluster which will work fine. Just need a tach adapter for the tachometer and make sure the engine oil pressure switch and cluster coolant temp sender are wired up to your cluster properly.

You will need to build the harness yourself. No off the shelf options. Research time!
so something like this?

also why wont a 2jzge non vvti with harness and ecu wire into harness but 1jzge non vvti will? sorry confused, this is pretty much what I have access to

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
the 2JZ-GE will, but you wont be able to make the stock ECU handle boost. a 1JZ-GTE will, but is already setup with turbos etc. The PnP kit for the ECUmaster won't work with the mk2 body harness obviously - its easier to just use the flying lead kit and build your own engine harness that adapts to the mk2 body.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I think I get it? is this correct?

1 or 2jzgte works because ecu set up or turbo same as 7mgte

1 or 2jge not set up for turbo but can be wired for non turbo

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
yes, that is correct.

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
Why not just buy a 2JZGTE JDM engine set and use all the stock stuff? Buying a bunch of random stuff and trying to piece it together is usually never cheaper or easier.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not just buy a 2JZGTE JDM engine set and use all the stock stuff? Buying a bunch of random stuff and trying to piece it together is usually never cheaper or easier.
as in stock stuff from the jz or stock stuff from mk2?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
He will say that is too expensive. There is some ludicrous assumption going around that a JZ swap can be done on the cheap, and that the motor is where to save the money
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hell. My 2JZGE was free after selling the donor car and I still have upwards of $2K in the swap. To then go turbo would be another $1.5k just for parts let alone time and work to do the conversion.
Just get the full 2JZGTE and don't worry about all the headache. You will have enough just doing the swap.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hell. My 2JZGE was free after selling the donor car and I still have upwards of $2K in the swap. To then go turbo would be another $1.5k just for parts let alone time and work to do the conversion.
Just get the full 2JZGTE and don't worry about all the headache. You will have enough just doing the swap.
the 2JZGE engine can be picked up cheap like $500 there everywhere, how much you think it will cost for swap if I don't go turbo? I need engine mounts and w58 to jz bell, what else that's expensive? 2JZGE is what 230 hp? that would still be a huge increase the gte is like $4500 from the jdm place plus the stuff ill need to buy, what are your thoughts,

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Bellhousing ~$300
Flywheel ~$250
Pressure plate ~$100
Clutch ~$100
Engine mounts ~$75
Throwout bearing ~$50
Clutch fork ~$30
Electric Fan set up ~$200
Misc hoses ~$100
Electrical odds and ends ~$100
Modded stock ecu ~$300
Timing belt, water pump, gaskets, pulleys...engine refresh ~$400
Return fuel line ~$75
Cleaned injectors ~$90
Odds and ends ~$200
Service Manuals ~$200

A bit more than $2000 as I didn't keep exact track of expenses as I was doing a lot of restoring on the car as well. I bought factory when I could so price can come down if not getting from Lexus/Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
10,395 Posts
If you could be happy with about 230hp/230/lbs/ft, just get the 2jzge and wire it up and leave it at that. To be honest, you sound a little green to engine swaps and such. Turbo motors are really hard to swap cheaply, and they aren't terribly forgiving to tuning/swap mistakes and have a much steeper learning curve.

Although turboing a 2jzge is a totally viable route, and the non vvti ones are just as strong as the turbo ones, you seem to be forgetting the cost of the turbo itself, the exhaust manifold, and all the other bits, never mind the NA intake manifold isn't as nice for turboing. And there are no oem turbo manifolds that fit those heads so you are stuck buying new or used aftermarket, so forget about piecing it together from junkyard parts. A complete 1jzgte can still be had for 2000 to 3000, you aren't going to get much cheaper then that. It is possible to make the 7mgte electronics work, but you still won't have a way to tune it, plus those wiring harnesses are really old by now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you could be happy with about 230hp/230/lbs/ft, just get the 2jzge and wire it up and leave it at that. To be honest, you sound a little green to engine swaps and such. Turbo motors are really hard to swap cheaply, and they aren't terribly forgiving to tuning/swap mistakes and have a much steeper learning curve.

Although turboing a 2jzge is a totally viable route, and the non vvti ones are just as strong as the turbo ones, you seem to be forgetting the cost of the turbo itself, the exhaust manifold, and all the other bits, never mind the NA intake manifold isn't as nice for turboing. And there are no oem turbo manifolds that fit those heads so you are stuck buying new or used aftermarket, so forget about piecing it together from junkyard parts. A complete 1jzgte can still be had for 2000 to 3000, you aren't going to get much cheaper then that. It is possible to make the 7mgte electronics work, but you still won't have a way to tune it, plus those wiring harnesses are really old by now.
Thanks for the info, I am green to things like adding turbos performance mods and knowing certain things that are out of the element of stock repairs swaps ect... you can say, I figured I could drop in the 2jzge it gives me the stock HP of a turbo 7M, and I figured its more reliable, if im happy with the 230 HP great if not then can convert to a NA T at anytime and maybe grab a lower end standalone,

I am looking for some more power then the 5M but does not need to be crazy as im not going to track the car just use it for street, Also I am trying to get into this so im not being cheap just trying to go light to not get ahead of myself, Once im successful and know better hands on what im into then I can be more confident and can justify spending more,

I hope I make sense lol...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Bellhousing ~$300
Flywheel ~$250
Pressure plate ~$100
Clutch ~$100
Engine mounts ~$75
Throwout bearing ~$50
Clutch fork ~$30
Electric Fan set up ~$200
Misc hoses ~$100
Electrical odds and ends ~$100
Modded stock ecu ~$300
Timing belt, water pump, gaskets, pulleys...engine refresh ~$400
Return fuel line ~$75
Cleaned injectors ~$90
Odds and ends ~$200
Service Manuals ~$200

A bit more than $2000 as I didn't keep exact track of expenses as I was doing a lot of restoring on the car as well. I bought factory when I could so price can come down if not getting from Lexus/Toyota.
thanks for the list, did you do anything to the diff what gears you running?

He will say that is too expensive. There is some ludicrous assumption going around that a JZ swap can be done on the cheap, and that the motor is where to save the money
:rolleyes:
im aware of the cost of things 2jzgte engines here are like $3500-$4K a 2jzge is like $500 big difference,not sure were you are maybe its cheaper, so even if I need to buy a manifold turbo and other bits, im still going to need to buy stuff on the 2jzgte so there is savings in the engine, no? as I said im going to do this to learn as I plan on doing a 2jzgte swap into my mk3, don't be mad at me... just be nice and give me your hood or can I make a ludicrous assumption you will sell it to me for cheap $11 enough? :) lol...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You'll spend more than $3500 to turbo a 2JZ-GE. The GTE engine comes with the turbos and proper control system and everything, ready to go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts