Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
You'll spend more than $3500 to turbo a 2JZ-GE. The GTE engine comes with the turbos and proper control system and everything, ready to go.
But what if you were going to do something crazy, like buy a complete 2jzgte, then throw away the stock twins and EFI? :p Which motor makes the most sense then Funky? lol

Billy, a stock or mildly worked 2jzge is a ton of fun in these cars, track slut or not! You can always throw a gte head on your block and scavenge some stock intake and turbo bits from peeps like Funky who are upgrading the stock stuff too. Anything seriously worked over will need standalone though. The stock 2jzge electronics are actually pretty good, and will handle a set of headers, catback and an intake ok. But you can upgrade in pieces overtime with the 2jzge. Just keep in mind the supporting mods for big power turbo motors is where you spend all the money after the initial purchase price difference. Particularly in the transmission department. If you exceed the torque capacity of a w58, get ready to dole out the cash. An r154 is still the next cheapest alternative, and good luck doing that for less then 2 grand these days, and think 2x to 4x that for any other option.

Then big brakes $2k +. Built trutrak diff $1500+. Cooling system upgrades $500+. Standalone $1500+

You said mk3 in the last post, typo I assume as you have been talking about 5ms...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You'll spend more than $3500 to turbo a 2JZ-GE. The GTE engine comes with the turbos and proper control system and everything, ready to go.
But what if you were going to do something crazy, like buy a complete 2jzgte, then throw away the stock twins and EFI? :p Which motor makes the most sense then Funky? lol

Billy, a stock or mildly worked 2jzge is a ton of fun in these cars, track slut or not! You can always throw a gte head on your block and scavenge some stock intake and turbo bits from peeps like Funky who are upgrading the stock stuff too. Anything seriously worked over will need standalone though. The stock 2jzge electronics are actually pretty good, and will handle a set of headers, catback and an intake ok. But you can upgrade in pieces overtime with the 2jzge. Just keep in mind the supporting mods for big power turbo motors is where you spend all the money after the initial purchase price difference. Particularly in the transmission department. If you exceed the torque capacity of a w58, get ready to dole out the cash. An r154 is still the next cheapest alternative, and good luck doing that for less then 2 grand these days, and think 2x to 4x that for any other option.

Then big brakes $2k +. Built trutrak diff $1500+. Cooling system upgrades $500+. Standalone $1500+

You said mk3 in the last post, typo I assume as you have been talking about 5ms...
Thanks you have been a big help, so to drop the 2jzge without turbo just stock what would I need to mate it to the w58? can I use the stock 5m harness and ecu? as in a mk3 I have read you can drop a 1 or 2j in and use the factory ecu and harness with electronics,

so I figure this for sure
2jzge engine
jz to mk2 engine mounts
jz to w58 bellhousing
jz flywheel with clutch set up
2jzge wiring harness
2jzge ecu

anything else? Also the comment on the MK3 is I have a 91 Turbo and a 85, also very smart you saying find a gte head then can use stock parts, twins with manifold I see a lot going cheap,

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
If you can find a gte head, yes. There actually is no advantage mechanically of using the head, it just has completely different ports so you could use factory manifolds then. But honestly, there are some pretty affordable manifolds made for the GE head too (off shore stuff of course though).

Your list is pretty complete. You will want the header too. There are several 2jzge headers on the market, but even the stock manifold isn't too bad. If you get one off a California car or off an is300, it will already be stainless steel, and cutting out the close couple cats with a straight pipe (and then running a single high flow cat after the collector) will give you a half decent set of headers for cheap. 7mge electronics do work because the 2jzge and 7mge use the same style of intake system, but no for 5m. I wouldn't bother with 7m electronics anyways as it was the 2jz ones where they finall tossed out the flapper style AFM. If you are non vvti, making even an auto 2jzge ecu is fairly simple. Pretty much all w58 clutches are the same across the board, but the flywheels are different and the pressure plates have different bolt patterns I believe.

You'll want the intake pipe with the MAF. You can go aftermarket or make your own, but you need to fit the MAF still.

The bell housing can be pricey and used ones don't come up a lot (you can still buy new I believe, and they aren't much more then used).

Of all of the cars that came with 2jzges, only the SC300/Soarer/Supra came with mid sump, so its easier if you get a front sump (which is easiest to find anyways). Though there is always people on other forums looking to trade who need the opposite. Luckily all 1jz and 2jzs use the same pans so there really is only 2 styles.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Don't judge me for what I did LOL!

-You can't run the 2JZ on the 5m harness and electronics. The 2JZ harness and ECU must be mated to the mk2 body with custom wiring.

-the 2JZGTE head has larger water jackets than the GE head, so it is a little better for big power. Not an issue for lower boost cars or ones that won't be pushed. Plus obviously the reduced compression of the GTE pistons.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Don't judge me for what I did LOL!

-You can't run the 2JZ on the 5m harness and electronics. The 2JZ harness and ECU must be mated to the mk2 body with custom wiring.

-the 2JZGTE head has larger water jackets than the GE head, so it is a little better for big power. Not an issue for lower boost cars or ones that won't be pushed. Plus obviously the reduced compression of the GTE pistons.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
If you can find a gte head, yes. There actually is no advantage mechanically of using the head, it just has completely different ports so you could use factory manifolds then. But honestly, there are some pretty affordable manifolds made for the GE head too (off shore stuff of course though).

Your list is pretty complete. You will want the header too. There are several 2jzge headers on the market, but even the stock manifold isn't too bad. If you get one off a California car or off an is300, it will already be stainless steel, and cutting out the close couple cats with a straight pipe (and then running a single high flow cat after the collector) will give you a half decent set of headers for cheap. 7mge electronics do work because the 2jzge and 7mge use the same style of intake system, but no for 5m. I wouldn't bother with 7m electronics anyways as it was the 2jz ones where they finall tossed out the flapper style AFM. If you are non vvti, making even an auto 2jzge ecu is fairly simple. Pretty much all w58 clutches are the same across the board, but the flywheels are different and the pressure plates have different bolt patterns I believe.

You'll want the intake pipe with the MAF. You can go aftermarket or make your own, but you need to fit the MAF still.

The bell housing can be pricey and used ones don't come up a lot (you can still buy new I believe, and they aren't much more then used).

Of all of the cars that came with 2jzges, only the SC300/Soarer/Supra came with mid sump, so its easier if you get a front sump (which is easiest to find anyways). Though there is always people on other forums looking to trade who need the opposite. Luckily all 1jz and 2jzs use the same pans so there really is only 2 styles.
Thanks! again you have been a great help, maybe you should move to Toronto and we can be Supra friends :) fiend friend close enough for a bad joke lol, I love this site you guys are awesome!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Plus obviously the reduced compression of the GTE pistons.
Compression change is actually largely from the head gasket. 1.3mm vs .3mm. Pretty sure the NA pistons have a different part number, but dimensionally they are almost if not exactly the same. I believe they are a different alloy, but they've been proven reliable to like 700whp so they're not really worth changing. Just do the HG and call it a day if you want less compression.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the 2JZ-GE will, but you wont be able to make the stock ECU handle boost. a 1JZ-GTE will, but is already setup with turbos etc. The PnP kit for the ECUmaster won't work with the mk2 body harness obviously - its easier to just use the flying lead kit and build your own engine harness that adapts to the mk2 body.
Stock as in Just use a stock 2JZGTE engine whole and complete. Don't piecemeal/Frankenstein something together.
You cant expect a stock Ecu to provide a map for 3 atmospheris. If you want/need this type of performance, consider a new ECU and reading about your thoughts. I recomend fuel tech 600 because they have a sync to help you correct any issues to get the motor to idle. Just saying . Now my issue, who has a part number for a 2jz block heater or a 1jz if it fits a 2jzblock .
Thanks

21 - 30 of 30 Posts