Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I cannot get this as I assume there is some special tool. But I figure I might as wlel ask in case there isn't.

I just bought some GR-2's and installed the rear ones in like 45minutes... now for the front :shock: It ended up I had to put all the stock stuff back together cause I cannot, for the life of me, get the front sturt out of its casing because of that damn collar lock thing. Its like over 2" and I have no tool big enough to get on it to loosen it. So I tried using a pipe wrench and it wasnt strong enough. I know in the faq on this site it sys to use a "big boy" pipe wrench but WTF? Do you think its just cause it wasnt big enough? How much is the "special" tool and what is it? Id likely say they have never been changed which is why its probably so hard to break loose. Is tehre a special tool i need to get in order to loosen it so I can get the old strut out? Please help me asap, Im going to an autoX soon and cant be riding on blown struts. Thanks guys,

Austin

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Buy a can of PB Blaster. Lube the threads. Wait.

Then try and loosen.

Yes, there is a special tool, but it's when the spring is removed.

I prefer to get it loose while on the car.

If you can get a pipe wrench on it, then buy some black
plumbers pipe that will fit over the handle end. 3ft is more than enough.

This will give you more torque than you need.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yes well I love multiplying torque when I need to. I had shot WD-40 all over it, had the pipe wrnech with the spring off and a 2ft pipe over the wrench and it wasnt enough torque...

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
There is a special tool for the top nut that you can get from Snap On and the like . They are something like $40-50. I used a gigantic pair of channeloks to remove mine. I'm set them on a rug and stood on the spindle and unturned them with the pliers.

·
Registered
793 Posts
On a somewhat unrelated topic, I once had to take off a tranny mount of a different car. Tried with all my might to get it with a 2-foot bar and could not. I got mad and found a six-foot piece of pipe, went out from under the car, and cranked like all hell. Cracked the socket in half, did not remove the bolt. I then doused it in wd-40, let it sit overnight, went back at it with the 2-foot and had it in like a minute. WD-40 IS THE BEST!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts