Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started preping my 6m today to put in this week. first thing I did was take the flexplate off that came on it and one of the bolts twisted off. I haven't tried taking it out yet. I'm going to use a easy out but I figured I would ask to see if anybody else has had this problem and could give me pointers before I mess it up.

Thanks

Jason

·
Super Moderator
8,821 Posts
If they are anything like the flywheel bolts they are a hardened bolt and you're going to have a hell of a time drilling a hole for an easy out. From what I remember they are the same thing just shorter. I really can't recommend anything other than an easy out or let the machine shop drill it out for you. I would call the place you got the engine from and let them know what happened before you do anything. Just in case they decide to not honor the warranty if you try an easy out and it doesn't work. HTH

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the bolts are just shorter. I really hope it comes out should find out tomrrow, still could use any advice anybody has that has done this. I really don't want to mess up the crank.

Has anybody ever ran with one less Bolt???

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Reverse drill bit's are what I start with.Along with a few cycles of heat via a small propane torch,and some penetrating solvent.

Start with the solvent and torch,3-4 times.Solvent,heat,cool,then use the reverse bits.Most times,the drill bit will catch the bolt,and you won't need the easy-out.

If that doesn't work,it's off to the machine shop,or run 1 less bolt.The latter is not recomended,but you should be "ok".The minimal weight,and being as centered as they are,shouldn't effect balance enough to be noticable.1 less fastener shouodn'r be lethal,but they are there for a reason,from an engineering standpoint.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
id go to sears and get their reverse bits like shawn suggested.
they seem to work really well, and for 30 bucks, you get the whole lifetime warrantee thing... gotta love that :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts