Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it ran like 3 days ago, my car died and timing was off and i needed a new timing belt so bought one, i think i did it right if its wrong then please tell me.

there is a dot on two of the cam gears, and a mark on the head. i think thats where it should line up and i did that, i turn it to top dead center to.

Are you sure the problem is incorrect timing?
When was the last time the car ran, and why does it not run now?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
make sure your on the correct stoke of top dead center. you could be 180 out. take off the oil fill cap and look for the little hole in the cam. it should line up. then set to tdc. you actaully want to be at 10-12 BTDC, im pretty sure thats stock timing.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
there is a dot on two of the cam gears, and a mark on the head. i think thats where it should line up and i did that, i turn it to top dead center to.
make sure your on the correct stoke of top dead center. you could be 180 out. take off the oil fill cap and look for the little hole in the cam. it should line up. then set to tdc. you actaully want to be at 10-12 BTDC, im pretty sure thats stock timing.
As long as the cam dot line up on the rear timing cover and with the crank mark being set at 0, you cannot have it 180 out, it is an inline 6.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Doesn't matter if its an inline six, five cylinder, or three cylinder. The cam will always complete one full rotation with every two rotations of the crank shaft. He's right about the dot. Though there are "marks" on the outer ring of the cam (one of which lines up with the raised dot), gotta line the raised dot with the notch on the aluminum timing cover. In this pic, the cam gears are not at TD. Its just a shot to show the raised dot. Look at the right cam. The dot is between the two upper holes.

http://rabidchimp.com/aaron/5mcamgears.jpg
-Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts