Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused by the various shifters available for the W58. I installed the original SupraSport S3 shifter 20 years (and 84,000 miles) back and still love it. A year ago it started buzzing while driving (unless I held the shift knob in a certain spot) and more recently it became a bit touchy going into 5th gear. I removed the shifter and found a broken down piece of rubber sitting on top of the transmission opening. I'm not sure of it's role but I removed that piece of rubber (and added fresh lube) and that improved shifter operation a lot but it still buzzed a little and it still exhibited some slop when in gear. That slop may have always been there but the buzzing wasn't.

I then ordered the ShiftGasm kit a few weeks back plus a few related parts from ToyotaPartsDeal.com (who said they were for the 1986 but maybe ended up being for the Mark III? I did use a small square OEM gasket with the four bolt holes in it.). I thought/hoped the larger of the two white plastic ShiftGasm bushings would work as the replacement for whatever mating/locating function the rubber part had provided. Unfortunately the white bushing is clearly too thick to fit between the shifter and the transmission. The opening of my transmission has two halves of removable metal sitting around the two guide pins. There would be some room for a thinner bushing on top, if that should be needed there. I saw that for the W154 transmission (which apparently doesn't use the two metal halve pieced around the guide pins) the ShiftGasm bushing can get installed under/below the two guide pins. I also saw a thread where someone said to try to get a replacement bushing for the original S3 by emailing SupraSport.com or PMing Jim King -- and that the correct replacement for the S3 was sourced from BMW.

I think I still have my original OEM shifter (up in the overhead maybe) but I like the way the S3 works and sounds. Is there a way to refurb my S3? It doesn't look like I need to insert the brass bushing into the transmission shift rod (it looks sufficiently intact after 290,000 miles). And actually the small white plastic bushing on the end of my 20 year old S3 fits more snugly into it than the ShiftGasm or OEM versions (though either would work but I chose to stay with the snugger fit). I can live with it as is -- unless it's possible to improve it. TIA.

JimC

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Try contacting George at Raptor Racing. He was the last one to sell these and has been able to help with parts in the past. He will need some pictures for sure of what you need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts