Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 82' celisupra, just drop in a 6m, trying to start it up but wont start. it will turns over but wont start, my timing is correct on the crank,cam,distributor,& s/p wires. found tdc a dozen times, but just wont start. i have pretty much narrowed it down to the idle speed control (ISC) yes there are two plugs coming out of it , but are not pluged my car is an 82', and cant find other male ends to go into the female ends off the isc on the wiring harness.
WUT (WHAT) DO I DO?????????
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP AT ALL !
thanks in advance
tim-
timtwo[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
You didn't really specify that you'e getting spark and fuel. So first pull a plug wire and crank it over making sure you are getting a spark to jump to a bare metal part in the engine.
When I first tried starting my 6m after the transplant, I couldn't get it to start either - it cranked over just fine and I was getting spark and I kept checking the timing - was good. So I figured must fuel starved.
I injected some gas into the plenum through a vacuum line with a squeeze bulb and cranked it over and it fired up for a few seconds telling me it wasn't getting fuel on its own but that it would run if I supplied the fuel. I never did find out why it wasn't getting fuel because it started running after I did that 3-4 times and been good since. Maybe because the 6m had been sitting in a warehouse for so long it forgot what gas is for.

·
Registered
351 Posts
also make sure that you're not 180* off on your timing :wink: ..... my buddy blew a valve cover OFF of a chevy 350 that way :shock:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the 82's, at least in the U.S. have an ISC valve. I may be wrong on this though!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
A 6M swap into an 82 is definitely going to require the use of an 83 or later model ECU, coil/igniter assembly, and engine wiring harness in order to make full advantage of the 6M power.

·
Registered
501 Posts
not really sure if i can help you with your problem, but i have a question. what year computer are you using and are you sticking with the '82 distributor and vacuum advance? do non-tccs guys have to kind of swap electronics to tccs or swap to non-tccs when dropping in a 6m?

if you are using an '82 ecu, igniter/coil, and distributor and afm:
if it's the iscv, perhaps starting it with your foot on the throttle would help? i don't *think* the iscv has anything to do with starting per se, but i'm not sure. if you are using all '82 electronics, those don't need to be connected, i think the idle control is done in the AFM (so long as your AFM is from an '82). maybe you could try messing with that (there's some adjustment screw or something, on the afm?) supras had that right?

maybe you could try spraying some starting fluid in and see if that gets it running? if it does, perhaps it's a problem with the idle adjustment screw open too much, or with cold start injector?

-

if you're using the distributor that came on the 6m, but everything else from your '82, that might cause a problem. i don't know if the plugs really fit (6m dist. would have a 3 prong plug, '82 is just 2 plug right?) but if that's what happened it'd make sense that it'd kind of start but not run

shiva

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Where the heck is "rowland rice" ? Is that for real or just a Supra joke? 8) The 6M will have a hard time starting properly without the aid of additional bypassed air from the ISC valve during cranking. Does your 6M spit and sputter when you crank it over and just refuse to start?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i switchd over the 5m throttel body & dist. cause the conector on the 6m dist. wont fit w/ the wiring harness. it has ran w/ a 6m in it before cause i just pulled a 6m out of it to put this one in (old 6m had blown head gasket & h2o pump). but i didnt do that swap, that mtr was in the car when i bought it, drove it for three months blew h/g, pulled that one out, threw new one in, and here i am now. the old mtr didn't have the 6m (3000) intake on it, it had the 5m (efi) intake on it for smog purpose's ( dam california). i want to keep the 6m intake on there now since smog is no longer a problem. but if it is going to affect getting my car running, i realy don't care wut intake is on there.

this is wut ive done so far

*found TDC a dozen times
*took off dist cap to see were i was @
*pulled #1 spark plug out, put feeler down there and made sure piston was all the way up
*checked to see if i was getting spark, and iam getting spark
*looked @ spark plug and i can smell that im getting fuel
*checked mark on crank pully to make sure its on 0* and it is
*checked cam gears and they are all in lined
*checked firing order, and all s/p are in the right place
* put an ohm meter to the AFM accordinly and am getting 320 ohms suggested is 200-400, so that is ok

somone had told me to just take off the ISC and block it off and that should solve my problem, but it didnt.
the ISC is still off and blocked off, i have a fitting connecting the coolent lines going to the throttel body.

after all this it still wont start, ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT

by the way rowland rice stands for rowland hts. the city i live in, but its all the same thing. lol :?

thanks in addvance for you time
patients and knowlege
TIM-
[email protected]

·
Registered
501 Posts
if you are getting fuel and spark and everything is lined up but it's just not starting your problem is most likely the mixture. i still think you should try

1. opening up the AFM's idle mixture screw and let it get more air.
2. spraying in some starting fluid. i know a lot of people (myself included) had 6ms with a bad cold start switch or clogged cold start injector.

dave might be right-- maybe the idle mixture bypass can't let enough air in for the motor to start. so if neither of those work, perhaps you could take off the air filter and have someone push the afm's falpper door open a little bit while you start the car with your foot opening the throttle a little bit??

shiva

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
82's didn't use ISCValve. They used a different intake with a big plastic screw on them to adjust idle speed. 82 ECU won't control idle speed as the 83+ TCCS ECU's do. What intake was on the last motor? If it had no ISCV but had the big plastic screw, then you should put it back on to be compatible with your 82 ECU.

Also, very commonly missed item when doing motor swaps is the ground wires that connect to the bottom center bolt holding the intake plenum to the intake runners. IF this is not connected, the injectors won't fire properly so the car won't start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts