Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I did search, but didn't really find the answer I needed. I have decided that I am going to swap my 5M out of my white beast of a supra(too many electrical and other such issues) and into my red 'parts' supra. The red supra has an engine in it, but no head on the engine. Is there some way to attach a set of lifting hooks to the block without a head? Would I be better off getting some towing straps to wrap under the block? Both engines will be coming out with the trannies attached. Another thought, I do have a head with lifting hooks. I also have the original headbolts for the red car laying around. Would it be easiest to re-attach the head and then lift the engine out of the red one? Would I need to torque the headbolts to spec first?

TIA

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never thought of that. I will do that when I take the engine out. Easiest option by far. Thanks

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I like to use some of the bolt holes on the side of the block, and if you take the heater tube off, there are a bunch of them that are easy to get to. The method of using head bolts also works, but you need to find a larger chain.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I've attached a chain to an engine block before, using the motor mounts somehow. It was on my 92 Toyota 4X4 truck with the V6, and I had it stripped down to basically a shortblock. I left the transmission in the truck, though. For your application, it would be easier to leave the transmission in the red car at first while you pull the shortblock. With that out of the way, it would be easy to unbolt the transmission from the crossmember, remove the shifter and clutch cylinder, and pull the tranny forward into the engine bay, and out. I hardly ever pull an engine and transmission together; it's just easier to seperate them first (but that's just me).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have plenty of shop space, so pulling them together shouldn't be much of a problem. I will pull the trannies out of both and see what they look like before deciding which to use. I also have a freshly (1K or less) W58 out of a MkIII to use as well. Gotta get springs and wheels back into the red one to get it moved around. Most likely, I will pull the engine and tranny first and then worry about moving the car into the shop. Much lighter without those in there. Once I get to that point, I will start a build thread.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah you can lift the block out w/ just motor mounts pasupraguy and i did it 2 weekends ago with no head just a cable, and a long 2x6 spanned across the front end to the motor mounts it came right out just get yourself and a friend, my 21 year old friend and i (19) lifted it back out of my girlfriend's 03 altima trunk the exact same way.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've done the head bolt method. Just use some fat washers and your good to go, it was a breeze

1 - 8 of 8 Posts