Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I want to install a CD player in my car as it didn't have one when I got it. My problem though is that I am not sure if I'm missing something to be able to install it. Looking through the forums, some members say you need OEM brackets and the likes but I have no clue what they look like. In addition to this, I think that what I do have right now is slightly deformed, I might be wrong. I'll post a pic and maybe somebody can help me please. Not trying to spend money to have it installed as I'm positive I can do it on my own and save cash. Thanks in advance.

Side I think may be deformed..

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
the stock brackets people are talking about you find on the original radio. You have to unscrew them and re-use them to mount the new radio. Or conversely you could make brackets out of sheet metal to mound to those brackets you see in your picture.

Start hanging around in the for sale and wanted section to see if you could pick some up from people parting cars

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, I'll give that a try I guess. Hopefully can get brackets without having to buy the original radio.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts

Similar to these. I grabbed a couple from my stash and took the pic for ya to give you an idea. There should be a L or a R stamped on the bracket.
I get these at junkyards everytime I go, even if I can't find anything else I am looking for. You never know when someone might need a pair.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sir, those definitely look like the ones I'm missing after doing some research this morning. Are those for sale?

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
How about posting in the Wanted section? Meanwhile, I will go through my stash and see if I have a pair for the Supra. Those pictured above were just a couple sitting on the shelf - they're actually from a newer Celica I think, anyway, theyre both stamped L but are different from one another so ...? I gotta figure it out - I keep losing my Sharpie to mark these things as I acquire them.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Aren't you going to need a facia panel/pocket that fits the CS to use with the after market stereo since it's so much smaller than the stock stereo?

I think my facia panel (brackets included) was purchased at a local stereo shop

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
Aren't you going to need a facia panel/pocket that fits the CS to use with the after market stereo since it's so much smaller than the stock stereo?

Depends on what he's got. My Kenwood double DIN is an exact fit for the whole hole of the bezel

·
Registered
6,312 Posts

When I had a radio, I put either the stock eq or radio back in the other DIN slot, but didn't hook it up.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
The Pioneer and Pioneer CD add-on player I used fit almost perfect in the factory surround. Single DIN + Single DIN...lets me toggle between 2 CDs while driving.

IIRC the brackets if still available from the dealer were fairly cheap...and need the Scocshe sp?? wiring harness to hook up the aftermarket radio to the factory connectors...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Cool, there are more options than I thought.
When I bought mine, it had no stereo either, and I was in a rush to get one in. A buddy picked up a facia and pocket for me because I was going with a panasonic. I stuck the stereo in the facia, wired it, and installed it, and never used any brackets. It has worked fine, and is like that to this day. Theft proof by no means, but works.

I am going to redo the system soon to go with a different brand, and intend on doing a better job this time around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FYI you can get the brackets new from the dealer for about $19.00. I just got a pair to replace the originals that were stolen along with the head unit. Part #s 8621114150, 8621114120

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again guys. I'll hold off on buying the bracket and wait to see what my new stereo comes with but I'm pretty sure I'll need the pocket as it is only a one DIN(if that's what it's called, pretty sure its different for a single.)

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
You will need the OEM brackets to hold the radio and the pocket...correct single DIN each

Thanks again guys. I'll hold off on buying the bracket and wait to see what my new stereo comes with but I'm pretty sure I'll need the pocket as it is only a one DIN(if that's what it's called, pretty sure its different for a single.)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dang, guess I'll just get it then. does anyone know where I can get the pocket and if you do, does the pocket come with the holes for the bracket?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I can source you a Toyota pocket that will work with the factory brackets. Or you can get an aftermarket kit that comes with a pocket. Not a fan of the aftermarket setup, they are expensive and are made of plastic. The factory brackets are steel...making it more difficult for the average brainless thief to steal the stereo.

Here's what an aftermarket stereo using factory brackets looks like...

Single DIN is same thing, but with a pocket added

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The Kit I'm using is similar to the one at this Link

I'd go with what RA24man can get for you, he's in the know.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ra24man: It would be great if you could source that pocket for me. PM me the details for payment when you do find it.

thanks for the link gotti. I ordered my harness already, going to be doing this following wes's old guide.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ra24man: It would be great if you could source that pocket for me. PM me the details for payment when you do find it.

thanks for the link gotti. I ordered my harness already, going to be doing this following wes's old guide.
Yw, Dangerous Ken's sticky may be helpful to you on this as well for the wiring side of the installation...
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=47507

1 - 20 of 23 Posts