Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the scoop, my friend has a 86 2nd gen celica supra and she ended up blowing the motor in it a few weeks ago. Her dad ordered a used motor for a 86, they place where he ordered it from sent a 7m-ge motor!:32: I dont know who dropped the ball all it but since i said I would help swap the motor in it I wanna try figuring out the best route to go.(the company said all you have to do is change the intake manifold over, and that everything else is the same)

So what should I/we do?
What parts are interchangeable between the two motors?
What would be needed for the 7m to go in?
Should we just send it back for the right motor?

He wants it done the cheapest way possible and i wanna have a easy/simple install since im doing the labor.
Please help me out, i have a 87 Supra and 89 Supra both turbos but i've never dealt with a 2nd gen.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
First, if they don't want an engine swap on their hands... send it back. They most likely got the engine out of an 1986.5 mkIII supra. All 86.5's came non-turbo, this explains why it's a 7mge and why it was from an 86.

The 7mge out of a mkIII supra is a mid-sump oil pump/pan. You need to rewire the subharness (so your gauges will work, oil, tach, etc.). Then you'll need to rewire the part for the alternator. The engine will bolt to the stock trans. Both the 5m and 7m are from the "m" family and are therefore the same block and so on. As long as you have all the parts from the 7mge then it can work, I have a 7mgte swapped mkII. But my car was a project, not getting a car for a DD.

Get a stock engine and swap the blown engine for a stock engine, it'll be much easier.

Make sure you specify the car is an 82-83 5mge.

Good luck,

Tony

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
7mge and 7mgte engines get swapped into mark 2 Supras all the time. But it is a decision made by the owner and with a bunch of planning and getting together ancillary equipment and needed parts, not just grabbing a 7m and throwing it in. Out of curiosity, is it from an engine importer, or did it come from an American salvage yard? You could probably kluge it in but she probably would not be happy with the results. Get another 5mge from an 84 or 85.

Edit: the reason I ask about where the 7m is from, if it's from a domestic, it may already have the front sump oil pan if it came from a Cressida. If from a mark3 Supra, it will have a rear sump and you'd have to swap pans with the 5mge. The import, or JDM, would likely have a mid sump and also need the pan from the 5m. 7mge's have been successfully swapped in using the 5mge ecu, wiring harness and sensors on the 7mge but they run like shit. Like Tony wrote above, you'd want to change to a 7mge harness or a subharness to get everything working optimally. So to answer your original question - the easiest and cheapest is another 5mge from a 84, 85, or early 86.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks guys for the quick responses i'm not sure where he ordered the motor from or anything like that. He just dropped the car and motor off at my place and when i got home after work i saw the motor was wrong right away. I'll talk with the owner of the car and see what they wanna do, I would do the 7m swap if i had more time but I have 3 projects of my own to do.
So I guess ill just have to tell the owner to order a new motor from a 83-85 5mge and see if he does or not... I would really like him to just sell me the car since i've been looking for one for over a year haha.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
For the best, quickest straight-across swap, you need an 85 5MGE. It's the only one with the correct throttle position sensor, bigger oil pump/deeper oil pan sump, and the only 5M block to have the knock sensor in it. The 84 5M could work if you can somehow mount the knock sensor to the block, swap the intake manifold and engine wiring harness over from the old engine, and if the engine was from a 5 speed (they had the higher compression ratio pistons in them, auto's didn't).

I say an 85 engine because it's too easy (as you've experienced) to confuse engines/generations, as 1986 was the switchover year mid-year. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts