Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use centerforce clutches on their Mk2?
I had an 88 Mustang GT, installed a centerforce dual friction and the clutch had unbelievable grabbing force with virtually no slipping.
Don't know if it would perform well on my 84 Supra.
Wondering if anyone had good success with them or any other clutch set.

Thanx!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I had a dual friction on my 6m years ago. Great grabbing for stock motor. Don't know how it will hold up on higher HP motors.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the question is what do you have under the hood?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yea, those cutches are amazing, if your n/a it should be perfect , just my two cents but like its been said, def depends on whats under your hood, :)

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I've used a ACT heavy duty clutch for 10 years, been great with excellent feel and no vibration/noise. Used with an aluminum flywheel. No grip problems, on a fairly healthy n/a motor.

Don L.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
I have been using a OEM 7MGE clutch for well over 10yrs + HKS Fly...my next clutch will be an NOS 7MGE press plate with an ACT street disc...already in the garage!!

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
Ask Bill(Helmsman screen name) how he likes Centerforce. Hes burnt up two in 3 years. Not recommended.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
n/a, all stock. No desire to hit the track (as it stands now), but I'd like clutch that would able to perform well on the street and possibly a few street duels...for now

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Thats the Clutch that I was running in my 7M car before I got to WA. Centerforce Dual friction clutch are Decent Clutches IMO, For a N/A or Basic Turbo car they will be fine. Basic being stock or Mild Build.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Back in the day HKS actually recommended against using a Centerforce clutch in higher reving cars...they told me to use the 7M clutch, back when the pressure plate was significantly beefier than the 5M, compared to current plates which are the same ;-(

I have both older versions in the garage, marked difference and even the clutch disc had a different part # also...

FWIW I did use a Centerforce Gold clutch in my ole '72 Chevy PU towing a fifth wheel, low rpms usage = great clutch never had an issue in almost 15 years...

Ask Bill(Helmsman screen name) how he likes Centerforce. Hes burnt up two in 3 years. Not recommended.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
+1 for an OEM 7MGE pressure plate, if it is an N/A application.

Our race car had an Aisin (OEM) pressure plate, with exedy stage 1 (same as ACT stage 1) disc.

There was no time for a break in period, we had to race the following weekend.

After 2 drag trips (at least 10 runs), and 3 auto X events, it never missed a beat. I pulled it today, and it looks brand new, no burn marks at all.

Do not get a 5MGE clutch, make sure whatever brand you buy, that it is the 7MGE version. The pressure plates are quite different but both bolt on.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have the 7m clutch with the 7m pressure plate in my car....It may actually be the 5m clutch with the 7m pressure plate. Pretty sure its the first though. It is a tough set up. I broke it in for the first week, then got bored and quit taking care of it. I usually take off in second gear. I gear down when I want to slow down. I beat the hell out of my car when ever I get the chance. It has held up very well.

Jumping from my stocker car to my Daily Driver is a world of difference. Very noticeable as far as the clutch goes. Feel like Im shifting a dump truck. If your close to stock the 7m set up is more than enough.

Ya gotta remember, the N/A 86-92 Supra weighed quite a bit more and had more power. The 7m set up is a lot stronger:thumbsup:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+1 for an OEM 7MGE pressure plate, if it is an N/A application.

Our race car had an Aisin (OEM) pressure plate, with exedy stage 1 (same as ACT stage 1) disc.

There was no time for a break in period, we had to race the following weekend.

After 2 drag trips (at least 10 runs), and 3 auto X events, it never missed a beat. I pulled it today, and it looks brand new, no burn marks at all.

Do not get a 5MGE clutch, make sure whatever brand you buy, that it is the 7MGE version. The pressure plates are quite different but both bolt on.
So what your saying is basically the 7MGE clutch will fit in my 84 Supra 5MGE? Everything will match up and the only difference between the two is that the 7MGE pressure plate is more meatier/durable than the 5MGE?
Also, I'm looking to get the ACT TS1-HDMM (Stage 1). Is that basically the same as a oem 7MGE from Toyota, or does that handle more torque?
I'm just looking to upgrade my stock clutch to handle more torque as I slowly modify several other components on the car for street not strip. Unfortunatley, I have to get a new clutch very soon cuz my throwout bearing is making noise and I'm not sure how bad the previous owner beat on it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
yea. 7mge bolts in to 5mge. the turbo cars had different parts though :(

I forgot to say, my clutch and PP are oem as well. iirc it was around 200$

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't have any Supra clutch experience to offer. However I do have a few comments on Centerforce clutches, for what its worth.

I installed a Centerforce Dual Friction in my 85 4runner 5 years ago. At the same time, I put the CF I in my Gf's 93 V6 Toyota pick up. In the 5 years that clutch has been in my 4runner, it has seen a LOT of abuse. Being a daily driver and a trail truck, I probably put about 40,000 miles on mine, and my gf as well has about 30,000 miles on hers by now too. She learned how to drive a clutch on the Centerforce (and shes blonde to boot! :laugh:).

My truck has seen thousands of hours of trail time, high torque, high RPM shifting, lots of burnouts in sand, mud, clay, etc. Rubicon and Fordyce tested.

The girlfriend's is still doing great. I recently pulled my tranny and transfercases to rebuild my rear tcase. Expecting the CF to have been near toast by now, I had ordered a Marlin Crawler HD 1600 clutch when ordering my replacement Tcase parts.

When I pulled the CF out however, it still had TONS of life left. I was blown away. I had NOT been easy on the truck in the last 5 years.

I decided to toss the CF into my trail spares parts bin as that would make a VERY valuable spare part to have on the trail. Going to rock the Marlin now to compare.

Anyway, after I had first purchased both Centerforces 5 years ago, I happened to find the negative association on many message boards. Having already installed them both, I could only hope they worked better than what most people claimed on the internet. 5 years later, I feel like my gf and I definitely both got our money's worth. I am not sure where these bunk CFs are, if they are defective or what. But I beat the shit out of mine and guarantee that I put my CF through more abuse than any of your Supras will ever see (with the exception of those of you that race). I would say a CF would be my first choice if my Supra wasn't a damn automatic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts