Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys?

Im lookin for aftermarket performance parts for my 5m. I need Camshafts, Titainium Valves and Valve springs, Titanium Rods, I would like 3 in. Exaust Cat Back, and anything else you guys can think of.....thanks, I apreciate the help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey man, i hear ya, i'm in that boat too with looking for performance parts and all, i've got an 83 ptype...
anyway, the important stuff:
For Cams, check out the topic called ''TRD Cams'' by Supraz, that's where I'M getting MY cams.
next....3 inch exhaust? from the header to the muffler?
I've got a 92 civic (don't hit me please! ) with 2.5inch and that's WAY too big...
you gotta have the right back pressure to get the best hp out of your car...
i was thinking of getting 2.25inch (2 1/4) dual exhaust for my 83 supra...
Hope this helped a little!
-Josh

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry you have a honda, but thats besides the point....anyways, thanx!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where are the trd cams? is there a website, or what? I live in Omaha Nebraska, so if they are at a shop in Cali, it would be kinda hard to get them.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Oi...

Have you read the thread yet on the TRD Cams???? If not, read the whole thing!!!!!

If you're going to have problems w/ trying to get cams from California, then you're NOT going to like trying to get them from Vancouver B.C. Canada, that is where Dale (Supraz) is located. You will also need to send in a set of cams that are STILL in very good condition w/ not a whole lot of wear on them (see thread on the specs/minimum wear required, ALL the information is there!!). The cams "profile" will be copied onto the cams that you send in.

Be aware that Dale has NOT started this GP yet, he is still doing research on the cam's profile to see if it's going to cause any problems for us (like the Gude cams that Silvermk2 had to deal with). So be patient.

Oh, 3" exhaust???? Are you going turbo (3" diameter would be good), or staying NA?? (3" would be very bad, stay w/ a 2.5" diameter).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ummmmm, actually back-pressure is bad. Under any circumstance. The less ammount of resistance on exhaust coming out of the engine, the easier it will breathe, adding back pressure will ONLY hurt performance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
as I understand it back preasure is for Torque not HP. I have heard from more then a few sources that tried the 3in. exhaust and they didn't like the engine performance, most went to a 2.25 or 2.5. For most practicle innercity driving you need torque more then HP as you will rairly hit the rpms where the highest levels of HP are. look for practical balance rether then useless HP. Building a car that tears up the 1/4mile usually isn't very fun on the streets.

Sean

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
your not quite right. As was stated, all back pressure is bad, it does nothing for nothing. Decreasing the size of exhaust tubing does not increase backpressure. Bends, restritive mufflers, baffles, reducers, etc do. Changing your pipe diameter simply moves your powerband around, kind of like how most cams do. keep upsizing your pipes and you'll keep increasing your max hp (to a point of course), but it will be at the expense of your low end, same thing in reverse is true too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This makes sence as I noticed that after I did the 2.5 pipe from the Y back I found more power in the higher rpms and it kinda sucks below 2500. So unless you want to shift at 5-6k then I wouldn't go for anything bigger then 2.5.

Sean

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
3" exhaust is available at http://www.brullenexhaust.com/. They have 2.25-3" for the mk2 (I got my 3" from them). Very nice. Titanium rods will need to be custom made, they just arent available off the shelf. Try contacting Crower or Cunningham http://www.cunninghamrods.com/ .
Good luck finding titanium valves. The stock valves work great, and I wouldn't see any need to upgrade to anything beyond stainless. Check out William's thread on SS valves. I've read somewhere that there are some Chevy valve springs which will fit the mk2. Best bet is to measure your springs and contact a spring manufacturer for something that matches closely in titanium (also overkill, IMO).
HTH

Christian

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Racefiend said:
Chevy valve springs which will fit the mk2.
Christian
Only the 5m exhaust valve springs match the chevy springs. The intakes are different.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I do plan to turbo this car eventualy. Thanx for the info. I contacted Arias Pistons about pistons, Im sure I could get rods off of em too. The pistons are Custom Forged pistons with whatever compresion ratio I desire. They are $145 per piston. But I think it will be worth it.

Also does anyone know any simple cheap ways to get more out of my car. I mean I just want to get everything I can out of this car. Any secrets for HP?

·
Registered
154 Posts
By far the best way to make a supra fly is to swap in 7MGTE from a mk3T. The motors are built for turbo and you can pull a reliable 400+HP out of them with little effort and stock internals. Typically it ends up costing less then adding a turbo to the 5M or 6M so its hard to go wrong. If you are not familiar with this then check out the posts on the Index. I know Reg Reimer's car does the 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the 7Mge engine A direct drop in to the 85 supra? Or is there other suff you gotta do to make it fit. Everything hook up the same or do I gotta rewire a lot and build new motor mounts? Because if I could drop in the 7mge, I would probably buy that motor off of rebuilt engines dot com. Oh, I would have to get a new transmition too, wouldnt I? Wich year Of the 7mge should I get? What is the best?

·
Registered
154 Posts
On the outside the 7M block is the same as the 5M so you can use your stock mounts and tranny. The stock tranny is strong enough to handle ~500HP (I know Reg's car it doing 490HP at the crank and he is using the original tranny with over 200,000 mile on it and he has had no immediate problems) You need to upgrade the clutch significantly though.

The only real sticky part is wiring harness, you will need to either need to build your own or you can get Jim King to do it for you. I would get Jim to do it. The other thing If I remember right is you will have to modify your oil pan to fit in the car. I have heard of people doing the whole thing if half a day to a day so in the long run it is probably a whole lot easier then adding a turbo to your 5M.

With some minor mods you can have a 250HP engine right away for $2000-$4000. The big issue is of course the cost of the 7M and whether or not you need to rebuild it.

THere is a lot of info on this swap on the cs.com site itself as well as various other sites on the net.

For me it will be a winter project this year.

Sean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts