Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anyone know where I can get a MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor for 1989 7MGTE Toyota Supra Turbo, the two I got from Cardone didn't work well enough to pass the Idle emission test. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
I highly doubt the reason you're not passing smog is because of the AFM. When they go bad the car typically doesn't run.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Does it run ok otherwise, like when you are driving around? If so it could be the idle speed control solenoid. If it doesn’t run well at all is the check engine light on the dash working properly? (it should be on when the engine is keyed on but then go out when the engine is running). If it doesn’t come on at all then the swap harness needs to be fixed. If it stays on with the engine running you need to flash out the code using the procedure in the mk3 TSRM.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I highly doubt the reason you're not passing smog is because of the AFM. When they go bad the car typically doesn't run.
Does it run ok otherwise, like when you are driving around? If so it could be the idle speed control solenoid. If it doesn’t run well at all is the check engine light on the dash working properly? (it should be on when the engine is keyed on but then go out when the engine is running). If it doesn’t come on at all then the swap harness needs to be fixed. If it stays on with the engine running you need to flash out the code using the procedure in the mk3 TSRM.
Just some history about the car: 1989 7MGTE was rebuilt and put in my 1983 Supra by a local Toyota performance mechanic, idle emission at that time was borderline but passed the test but the car could not maintain a cold idle (once it warmed up it ran fine, 6yrs later I had another performance shop install a boost controller and an Emu ECU. Now the car does not pass idle emission, and it sometimes cannot maintain an idle when it is warm (but does idle ok when cold). I currently have it in the shop and the mechanic thinks it is the AFM, during his testing the car idles the same whether the AFM is connected or Not Connected. If you know of any shops in AZ or neighboring states that can fix this problem please let me know. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just some history about the car: 1989 7MGTE was rebuilt and put in my 1983 Supra by a local Toyota performance mechanic, idle emission at that time was borderline but passed the test but the car could not maintain a cold idle (once it warmed up it ran fine, 6yrs later I had another performance shop install a boost controller and an Emu ECU. Now the car does not pass idle emission, and it sometimes cannot maintain an idle when it is warm (but does idle ok when cold). I currently have it in the shop and the mechanic thinks it is the AFM, during his testing the car idles the same whether the AFM is connected or Not Connected. If you know of any shops in AZ or neighboring states that can fix this problem please let me know. Thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
Does "EMU Ecu" = Ecumaster ? No regular mechanic is going to be able to figure that out. You need to find a tuner familar with that ECU. You shouldn't even be using the stock AFM with an aftermarket ECU. The car probably just needs a good tune on it.

If you are on a stock ECU the 7m will idle just fine with the AFM unplugged. Give it some gas and it should die right out. Like I said you need to post the actual smog test number since they indicate what can be wrong. For instance high NOx is usually EGR.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does "EMU Ecu" = Ecumaster ? No regular mechanic is going to be able to figure that out. You need to find a tuner familar with that ECU. You shouldn't even be using the stock AFM with an aftermarket ECU. The car probably just needs a good tune on it.

If you are on a stock ECU the 7m will idle just fine with the AFM unplugged. Give it some gas and it should die right out. Like I said you need to post the actual smog test number since they indicate what can be wrong. For instance high NOx is usually EGR.
Hello, yes "EMU Ecu" = Ecumaster, the Ecumaster was installed and tuned by Crown Concepts Performance Shop, after installation the car would not 'warm idle' properly (after the car was at operating temperature, and then after it was turned off and sitting parked for 15min, I would start it up again but it couldn't maintain an idle unless I kept tapping on the accelerator pedal). At that time I asked the performance shop mechanic about passing emissions and he said it should pass since the engine wouldn't be under boost pressure...I will post the emission test number as soon as I get the car and paper work back from the mechanic. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Is it an ECUmaster piggyback fuel controller or full standalone??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it an ECUmaster piggyback fuel controller or full standalone??
Hello, as far as I know it is the ECUmaster Classic full standalone that replaced my stock ECU, I contacted the performance shop that did the install to see if they had any ideas. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The ECUmaster classic doesn’t even communicate with the stock AFM, it uses a manifold air pressure based speed density system. They might have left the AFM just for the air temp sensor, which should be post turbo. Sounds like the car needs some work and a tune.

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
If they can't tune a car to idle on a standalone you should really be looking at someplace more competent. There's no need for the stock AFM on a standalone. You should really just look at it yourself with a laptop. I'm not that familiar with ECUmaster but you should be seeing near zero corrections on idle position, fuel, timing, etc just idling..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts