Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***Thanks for the help, guys, but I am selling this poor old thing and buying another Supra. I don't know how much to ask for. I know parting out will get me 3-5 times more money...***

My '82 Supra caught fire. I need most of everything in the engine bay. I still have the block but thats about it. I have drive-line.

Also looking for a 'cheap' car.

I'd like it to run and drive but I can do minor repairs. Looking toward $800 for an 82. Preferred as 82, but don't really care what year. Not buying yet.

Here is a picture of my engine...

If that didn't work, here is the album

http://s869.photobucket.com/home/Snafu_Bohica/index

·
Registered
'84 Dark Blue Converted to 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,451 Posts
Wow, any idea what happened as to why it caught fire??

I've got two engines that I'm stripping strictly for parts so may be able to (evenutally) help you with some of the parts that are common to both 82 & 84 (82 should be a lower compression engine I believe).

Won't be able to do any serious wrenching for a while tho' as I amputated (literallY) the tip of one of my fingers...trying to make more storage space....for Supra parts.....it's been re-attached...but only got the stitches taken out a week ago.

Anyway, keep me in mind if U can't find certain things more local.

·
Registered
464 Posts
im bout to do a 7m swap, and i will sell my complete motor for $350..minus the starter.( i need it for my 7m) it isnt pulled yet, it is still my daily driver. but it wont be long. mine is a 86, its got 245k miles and runs perfect. all cylinder comp. was a 150psi. only smokes when you first crank it up, after it has sat for while. it needs valve seals thats it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
but yea that really really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!:sadsmilie

·
Registered
348 Posts
That sucks so bad! I've lost an engine to a fire once before. 2 weeks after I bought the car, oil had leaked out onto the exhaust manifold and heated up enough to ignite. That was the first and last time I ever owned a Honda.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Buzz kill!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not have the battery secured as far as how the fire started. And for the engine, I do appreciate everybody's help but I do not want to pay shipping from all-over the country. I need something from Washington/Oregon area. Thanks everybody for the help.

Wow, any idea what happened as to why it caught fire??

I've got two engines that I'm stripping strictly for parts so may be able to (evenutally) help you with some of the parts that are common to both 82 & 84 (82 should be a lower compression engine I believe).

Won't be able to do any serious wrenching for a while tho' as I amputated (literallY) the tip of one of my fingers...trying to make more storage space....for Supra parts.....it's been re-attached...but only got the stitches taken out a week ago.

Anyway, keep me in mind if U can't find certain things more local.

·
Registered
'84 Dark Blue Converted to 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,451 Posts
Simply did not have the battery holder in place?? That's what started the fire??

Meanings can be totally misunderstood when it is strictly text. So I want to make it clear I am asking if someone with a LOT more mechanical knowledge than me can clarify that this is possible as being the origin of a fire.

I NEVER have any of the tie down bars in place on any of my vehicles as I find that one way or another at some point I'll have to pull the battery from something and (especially with bare hands in a Canadian winter) it's a huge PITA,

If an actual mechanic can verify that this can actually happen, I'll have to at least adjust my thinking and at least put some kind of bungee cord system in place or something that can hold the battery in place ...but at the same time can easily be unhitched to allow access.

Once again, I am ASKING if this is possible, for my own knowledge, as I (personally) would not have thought this is possible...but I am definitely NOT a professional mechanic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Simply did not have the battery holder in place?? That's what started the fire??

Meanings can be totally misunderstood when it is strictly text. So I want to make it clear I am asking if someone with a LOT more mechanical knowledge than me can clarify that this is possible as being the origin of a fire.

I NEVER have any of the tie down bars in place on any of my vehicles as I find that one way or another at some point I'll have to pull the battery from something and (especially with bare hands in a Canadian winter) it's a huge PITA,

If an actual mechanic can verify that this can actually happen, I'll have to at least adjust my thinking and at least put some kind of bungee cord system in place or something that can hold the battery in place ...but at the same time can easily be unhitched to allow access.

Once again, I am ASKING if this is possible, for my own knowledge, as I (personally) would not have thought this is possible...but I am definitely NOT a professional mechanic.
Sure it can, your positive terminal can short to ground if you are doing some hard cornering.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. The only reason my car caught fire was that the battery was not secured. When I made the left turn, it slid into my radiator and sparked. Which caught the terminal on fire and sending the flame to the sound supressor under the hood.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Dave this is very possible (which i know personally). Luckily i noticed some of my electronics going a lil skitzy and i popped the hood and fixed it immediately. Battery hold downs are NOT for decoration and even tho they are a pita sometimes they are a necessity. Here in pa they are required for safety inspection and for good reason. It may only be 12v but as his pics show thats all it takes sometimes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea my buddy chris had one like this that cought on fire everything was gone except the whole front clip motor had low low miles and the previouse owner had just put on a exshaust which caused the fire,

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have a complete 85. engine, wiring, everything. It would need new seals. I also have an ECU for a 85 manual. This would take some wiring to swap, but looks like most of your wiring would be fried anyways.

Car is White. Auto. P-type. I am in the Tri-Cities. Not too sure how far away you are, but I would likely let the entire car go. No time for it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks for enlightening me me ppl...I'll at least make sure there's the rubber covering over the actual positive clamp.

When it gets warmer in the spring, I'll figure out some kind of quick release system (for all my cars) even though it'll be non OEM. I'd still find it a PITA to have to undo nuts any time I need to pull a battery.

Actually noticed last year that my ex's car had a different battery that was actually a little too "tall" for her car. The terminals were actually digging a hole thru the hood padding. I put some rubber (bike inner tube actually) over the clamp to prevent it shorting out if it did finally make contact witht the hood, but still wasn't thinking it could actually start a fire. I'll make sure to inform her to make absolutely sure that nobody pulls the covering off.

Thanks guys (though I'm sorry about the situation that brought it to my attention)

·
Registered
255 Posts
hey man i got a 5mge that im selling aka parting im in aloha oregon so i think we can work somein out pm me if you need something i bet i have it my car is a 82

·
Registered
637 Posts
i think it will be cheaper to just buy CHEAP rust bucket parts car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts