Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, this is just a question about my order of troubleshooting. I know the window motors work, but the switches do not operate the windows. Here is the rundown of how I plan to check out the wiring. First, check the fuse. Then check the relay. If both of those are good, check the wiring. If the fuse and the relay are good, I should get 12v at the switch, correct? If I don't have 12v at the switch then I can assume that there is a short some where. Finding the short would involve seeing if I have 12v at the fuse and then the relay. 12v at both those places would mean that I have a short between the relay and the switch. I am still learning electrical stuff, so for you more learned people, does this rundown sound right?
TIA

·
Registered
186 Posts
all of your trouble shooting sounds correct. the only thing i would add is that if you have power at the fuse or at the relay and not at the switch or motor you would have an "open" or "break" in the wiring and not a "short".
by definition if you had a "short" to ground lets say, you would have a burned up wire or more commonly would have a blown fuse. if you replace the fuse and it immediately blows again then it is a "dead short to ground"
again, your trouble shooting does sound correct just if you were trying to ask for help we would need to know if its and open or a short,, hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
as he says above.
A short is generally power going to a place you do not want it to.
And an open lead/wire/circuit is power not going where you want it to !

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, sorry for the misnomer. Once I figure out what is going on I will report back with more information. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts