Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need to fix my power antenna but cant find a Mast with cable replacement on Toyota websites as there discontinued there is some on ebay but cant find one with a part number that will work, Do you guys know any ones that I can use?

·
Registered
916 Posts
This is NOT a plug and play, but if you have a dead OEM antenna you can scavenge mounting parts off of it to use on this antenna.

Metra 44-PW22
http://www.metraonline.com/part/Aftermarket_Antenna_44-PW22

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?88929-Aftermarket-Power-Antenna/page2&highlight=wes+hartrick+antenna

https://imgur.com/a/bmG9f
Pics by Gamble as shown in post #12 in the previous thread

You have to bend the mount to make the new one line up. In addition the ferrules that Metra supplies do not work. You have to use the ones from the dead original unit. Even then, you have to modify the unit somewhat...

Having said that, the results are GREAT and look very OEM.

One hint, do not power the antenna up without the top ferrule in place. I did that and without anything to stop it, all the antenna segments raised up and then fell out of the body! It's a monster to put it back together and align it correctly............

The Metra is somewhat noisier than the Toyota antenna, but other than that, it works very well.

I hope this helps. The work is worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
^^^ What he said. If you're averse to bending up the factory bracket (I was...) then you can get some "Plumber's Strap" from a hardware store and bend it up.

- Jim

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
I snapped mine off twice and gave up.Electric antenna?
BFD! I did try with the bendo-strap method.

I stashed a universal one in the RR cubby-hole and it works fine,except in geographical HOLES.
The original rubber mount is still there with a valve stem cap on top.
I will NEVER use an automagic car wash!
The brutal bastards will peel off most of my trim,without remorse and beat your car with it.

BTW,that power wire to the electric antenna is always HOT,so I use that to charge my R/C trucks for a play day.

·
Registered
916 Posts
For those with lots of time on their hands and not wanting to bend the OEM mount, you can certainly bend and cut up an aluminum adapter.

OEM Antenna Mount.jpg Metra Antenna Mount 1.jpg
Original Antenna mounting bracket Mount for Metra antenna

Metra Antenna Mount Bottom.jpg
Bottom of Metra Mount showing clearance for drain line and screw location

Metra Antenna Mount Top.jpg
Slotted screw holes to allow for adjustment of the antenna left/right alignment when extended.
The rear tab is where a nut and bolt attach to the car to hold the antenna.
In retrospect, I should have a horizontal slot on the tab to allow for fore/aft adjustment of the antenna.

Metra Antenna Installed.jpg
The antenna mount installed showing the wire grommet and a tie wrap used to secure the extra cable. The final hole is to allow for a ground connection that was present on the original antenna.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The hardest part of the antenna upgrade is the modification of the ferrule. There are several ferrules that ship with the Metra but they do not have enough slope to mount on such a sharp drop off on the body.

The length of the OEM and the Metra antennas are different and the ferrule has to be modified. How Much?

Ferrule on OEM.jpg Ferrule on Metra.jpg
The difference in height of the antennas: Toyota on left, Metra on right.

The measurement is from the highest part under the fender to the top of the threads that will attach the ferrule on the top of the fender.
You have to clearance the bottom of the ferrule and/or the top of the black rubber connector cover by 0.415"
On Gamble's link you can see where this has to be clearanced.

This made me really nervous, but it actually worked very nicely.

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Thanks for posting those, Dale.

I'm just about ready to (finally!) mount my Metra, and this will save a lot a of head scratchin'!

- Jim

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Dale, Nice work Sir!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Thanks for posting those, Dale.

I'm just about ready to (finally!) mount my Metra, and this will save a lot a of head scratchin'!

- Jim
No problem Jim.

I was really hesitant to start this because getting the antenna ferrules is getting harder. I figured that I'd bugger the thing up and then be looking for the ferrule for months.
The previous posts were really helpful but didn't show exactly what the issues were. I put the job off for a long time.
I figure if these pictures clarifies things even a bit it's helpful.
Double check all the measurements before going wild with the grinder!

Dale

·
Registered
916 Posts
Oh yeah, here is what it looks like mounted.

Metra Antenna Retracted.jpg

Metra Antenna Alignment when extended.jpg
You can adjust the left/right tilt by the use of the slots on the antenna mount.
If it's tilting too far to the left the hatch will clip the antenna.
Too far to the right and it just looks weird.

Fore-Aft Position.jpg
Fore/Aft positioning was adjusted by having the hole in the tab slightly slotted.
Mine was pretty close to start, but I did put a bit of a diagonal slot on the tab hole to fine tune it a bit.
Mine's tilting a bit forward, but I justify it by saying that it looks 'jaunty'!

For younger men, this is a 'jaunty' cap. Slightly tilted forward. Very Stylish

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Ahhhhh, yes, the oh so British and very classic "Tweed Sports Car Cap"!

I'll probably take your dimensions and make a drawing before I cut any metal. Just the way I roll.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
I put one of the Metra antennas in my Explorer and also learned the hard way to make sure the thingy on the end is in place before attempting to operate it. It was still working ten years later when the Ford suffered the dreaded Explorer timing chain failure. The service center wanted almost $6,000 to put in a reman Jasper engine, so instead the truck was scrapped. I managed to score a working original antenna from Kevin before he moved out all of his parts, but it is good to know that a Metra will work if I need one in the future. Thanks for the great write up.
Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
One other detail to note is that depending on the year, our cars came with two different power antenna assemblies and that they take totally different replacement parts. I believe that parts may still be available for the later one but not the early one. At the moment, I can't recall exactly when the change was made, but I believe that it was sometime during 85 production. That being said, I wouldn't repair either simply due to cost and expected life and that the next time it failed, parts would likely be unobtanium.
In the past, I also installed and used a Hirschman antenna and it was great until it got damaged. I now have the Metra and did not need to modify the ferules from my original antenna. This may only be necessary on the earlier OEM unit. While Dales mounting bracket looks and works great, it's pretty easy to modify the original one to align the antenna mast properly. The advantage to using the original bracket or one like Dale made is that it is a much firmer mount than something like plumbers strap would be. BTDT.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
the Ford suffered the dreaded Explorer timing chain failure. Thanks for the great write up.
Bob
They don't call 'em Exploders for nothing.

And thanks for the great write-up. Although it seems that I hardly listen to radio anymore. Anyone else getting away from FM?

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
If/when my Metra, and the spare, wear out or get broken, I'm just going to replace it with a 26" one-piece stainless whip.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
They don't call 'em Exploders for nothing.

And thanks for the great write-up. Although it seems that I hardly listen to radio anymore. Anyone else getting away from FM?
Not at all. The FM radio here is fabulous. It blows the Lost Angeleez FM radio all to Hell and Back as far as variety of the music, and the quality of the DJ's. Much fewer commercials, too. I've dropped Sirius/XM on my Jeep because I don't need the traffic reports any longer, and the $25/month they've been gouging out of me is no longer worth it.

And if I'm too far away from the city to listen to the radio, I switch to my USB Stick-Full-O-Stuff, and listen to that.

And besides, who needs music when you have a sweet 5M soundtrack to listen to, and plenty of twisty-turny roads with gorgeous scenery on the Main View Screen?

- Jim

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Mostly NO tunes. FM radio and some talk shows that are good.
Crappy reception? Pop in a CD and cruise.
My car does not make me bored at all.
My driving is 80% vision and 20% auditory. I keep my head on a swivel and watch what is happening around me. The music is not required most times,anyway.
Seldom do I drive in the "Fast Lane". I'll hang on the Interstate and set my own pace. The cruise control works,again and I like it.
Night driving is not good for these old eyes,but the traffic is much less,anyway.
At dusk,I'll pop on the headlights and see how much my cruise control losses RPM,for fun.
I will NEVER drive after a few beers.
My extreme rock tunes makes me speed WAY over the speed limit. "Oh shit,I'm doing 80!" I cannot hear the RPM,just the tunes. Then,I catch myself messing with the bass and treble and the balance and not paying attention to the other drivers and the crap on the roadway: Tire chunks,couch cushions and bark and rocks flying out of the larger trucks.

Our cars have really good brakes!

I really cannot devote my full attention to the road when I'm distracted by my music and my cell phone going off at random.
My male brain can focus on only ONE thing at a time: My car.

In my man cave(SHED),it's a different story. BASS WARS with the neighbors.
I can shake the snow off of my roof.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
In my man cave(SHED),it's a different story. BASS WARS with the neighbors.
I can shake the snow off of my roof.
When I listen to Blue Oyster Cult, so do my neighbors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts