Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e been bouncing around these supra sites for a few days now, and am kinda lost. I have seen a lot of knowledge coming across this message board, so I figured I would give it a shot. I have been driving my 1982 Supra around for a while now, and just want more power. Obviously what I'm getting to is that I want to turbo it. I saw all the stuff about the 7M-GTE swap, and have heard people talk about it, but I have an '82 Supra with 50,000 miles on it, so why waste a good engine. I wanted to know price range wise what it would cost to put a 7M-GTE turbo on my 5M-GT engine. Also I wanted to know some pros and cons of doing this.

Thanks for the time and help,
Russell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just wanted to say that I have had the same thought! I have an 83 p-type with 89k on it, and have no intrest in chucking the engine, at this time anyway. I know rabid chimp makes a turbo kit for the 5M. They say it could put out as much as 400hp! What a quick way to die that is :twisted: ! Has any one put one of these kits in? How did it work? And finaly how complete of a kit is it? It seems like you would have to make a lot of modes to the engine, and prolly the drive train too, just to handle that kind of power!

(sorry to jack your thread! :roll: )

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
if you want to turbo your 5m, youll need a metal head gasket, along with a bunch of parts.

it seems like a reasonably cheap way to make power, until you add up all the odds and ends.

i havent done either mod, but from what ive read on here, and on the yahoo list, the 7m makes more sense, IF you can do all the work yourself!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm in the process of putting a turbo on my 5M-GE.. and I hafta say, that the cost of doing it "the right way" is comparable to just dropping in the 7M-GTE... and you still don't end up with as good of a set-up. Theres VERY limited aftermarket for the 5M... the 7M has a reasonable amount of stuff out there.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
5m-gte pros - depending on what kind of deals you can scrounge on the turbo, manifold, piping and intercooler, can be done fairly inexpensive - figuring typical salvage yard prices on those and new retail prices on the requisite 'gizmos' to make it work, you're looking at around $1500-
$2000 US. Some have found some smokin deals, used 'gizmos' etc. and done for less. Can be done without removing engine or dismantling the dash. Adds some power but not enough to worry about breaking driveline components.

5m-gte cons - no aftermarket support, boost limited by stock ECU and fuel injector capacity, risk of catastrophic engine failure from accidental detonation is increased, the 'gizmos' needed are inferior quality to Toyota parts and hence reliability is compromised. Really amounts to nothing more than hillbilly engineering when you face the facts.

7m-gte pros - All Toyota parts, professionally engineered and developed turbo engine, legendary Toyota reliability if left stock. Adds considerable power, but not enough to worry about breaking things unless modified to run more boost. Some aftermarket support and greater mod-ability.

7m-gte cons - A little more expensive and a little more work (but worth every bit). If you figure on buying a running and driving donor car (best advice) at market price and doing nothing else while the engine is out, you are looking at around $2500 to $3000. Again, patience in searching out deals, you may come across a rear-ended mk3t at insurance auction for less than $1000, but just don't hold your breath while you wait.

Phil D. (who is apparently one of the list's resident hillbillies :silly: )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meh.

Dont worry bout the thread Usagisama... I'm glad someone else is having the same ideas. I wasn't planning on doing the turbo job myself. There is this shopJPR Motorsports, in La Habra, California that I have seen do some NICE stuff. They are in the middle of nowhere... but they can do some nice work. These guys know everything about anything japanese. They have done work for my brother on his Acura, making his LS engine push about 200hp with no boost, he has been pleased so far with the results. When I was at the shop I noticed that they had an 80's RX-7 and an 80's supra in the shop with something being done to the engine's. I wasn't there long enough to see what was going on... but there was some turbo's laying near the supra... so that looked promising to me. They also go to Japan every few months and pick up TONS of engines. Mostly silvia, supra, and gsr engines. So this is why I am bouncing around the idea of the swap or just turboing what I have. I wanted to know what people on here have had as results of turboing the 5M.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
In California you'll want to jump right to the 7m-gte for smog reasons. Its perfectly legal to upgrade to a later model supra engine, even turbo, but you'll catch hell from the smog nazis over a 5m-gte job for sure. Another thing to consider.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
My name is Billy, and I literally live on a hill in eastern Tennessee...

Does that mean I HAVE to do the 5mgte?

ok!

--BillyM
:lol: :lol:

-Wil

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well you know what. If your willing to wait than I think its worth itto just turbo the 5M. I have a 6M in mine and I am in the process also. I have been asking many questions about this to otehrs on this board and have spoken with rabid chimp as well and I think aim going to go through with it. Ive found very good deals and have figured the entire settup is going to cost me just about $1400-1500 which is about half (or maybe less) of the 7MGTE swap. Anyhow, if you dont find deals and buy everything new Im sure it can run abotu 3k as someone said earlier, but IMO it does suck to waste a good motor. And if your goals and expectations arent way high then reliability can still be maintaned and it can make for an even funner motor than the 7 do to the compression 8)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
this is the way i see it.. do what you can afford.. or if your like me. as a learning experiance. i just got my manifold and elbo in. and have found a good deal on a mainfold/turbo for $80.00 :shock: so the good deals are out there. as my first turbo set up im in that stage of "if your gonna do it right, do it right the first time" i plan on going all out.. had some feed back, after talking w/ a member. going 7m crank/pully etc, forged rods/pistons. and upgraded ct-26! probaly AG intercooler/piping, apexi s-afc, boost/a/f guages. right now on that list the most expensive items are the forged and AG IC/piping. that list is just the start. dont want to get into drivetrain/suspenion/brakes that i want to do before it rolls for the first time :twisted: but the car is a winner! i got it off ebay for $202.50. 86, white, all leather int is imaculate! needed fender/lance/bumper skin replaced, small ding in top, and 1 quarter fixed. again it's just my 2 cents and if you want to learn turbo the 5m first. then tackel the 7m/1j/2j later..

sorry this was a lil long..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts