Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a mkII supra for a few months. I cant spend more than 3grand due to being a student. I found this 1986 thats about 2 hours from me. I have been losing sleep over it. The emails I've received explain no rust, garage stored, gaskets recently replaced, decent interior, originated from California, all good things. I have talked him down in price. The only downside is its automatic. Do I look past that or keep searching? Was there anything bad with auto trans for that year? Any advice would help.

Thanks!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-LAST-TIME-BEING-OFFERED-1986-Toyota-Celica-Supra-W0QQAdIdZ215370728

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Looks to be in great condition, but that is only by the two pictures that are provided. I usually don't like seeing cars for sale without interior and engine bay shots. If the Supra is in good condition and I had $3000 to use, I would not hesitate on getting it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As far as I can tell from the pictures it looks like a nice car. As for the transmission, admittedly it is not as fun as a 5spd would be, but I have an auto and there isn't anything to complain about. I don't know about the options of ECT and overdrive, if it has that you're golden. It has 1st and 2nd gears in addition to Drive so up past 70 is reachable without even using Drive. In addition, the ECT pwr setting makes it shift higher in RPMs. These two features make an auto as good as a manual in my book.

My favorite is the 'Set it and FORGET IT' option, much easier to just drive when you don't feel like working for it.

As 83CelWa said, it'd be better to have more pictures. I would invest a couple hours to go and check it out before agreeing to anything.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Auto or manual? No doubt in my mind. Manual is the way to go but I don't know if you have much to choose from there.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
One nice thing about an A/T, they usually haven't been rodded as bad as a M/T.
I believe that car was shown here a while back and I'm surprised nobody jumped on it...from the looks of it, it'd be a great deal, def. check it out!

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
For the price and mileage...leather interior too?? Any recent work, new parts, upgrades??

Then not a bad price IF there are no major issuses with the car ie bad oil leaks, overheating issues, repairs needed or has been in an accident...

·
Founding Member
6,332 Posts
I would not hesitate to buy an auto transmission supra. Like has been said, you're much more likely to find an auto in good shape than a manual. Then if after driving the auto for a while you still just have to have that feeling of stirring the gears yourself, well, we know how to do the swap and have written directions posted somewhere here on this forum and you still have a much nicer car than if you'd bought a clapped out old manual.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its a 1986 last of the species the refinement of all that was added to that body style.
Its worth saving and giving a good home. Your second Supra can be a manual.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Looks to be a good one! Maroon leather interior and SDR exterior. Autos aren't so bad, and actually get GREAT highway mileage! If you want more get up and go later, you could always buy a 4.30 rear LSD diff (whole pumpkin/assembly) and swap it in. Then it would also be ready for the 5 speed swap. :) Just check over the crank pulley/harmonic balancer for missing chunks of metal from the rear lip first, because they can be a B!TCH to replace on an automatic car (Nothing much to hold engine from turning as you tighten).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts