Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who woulda thought that changing the idler pulley on the 7mgte would be such a pain in the ass! in order to take off the upper timing belt you must take off the thermostat housing. no problem. then i realize i have to take off the lower timing cover. easy right? nope, the crank pulley has to be removed. to remove the crank pulley you need one of those pulley pullers. To get that to fit you have to remove the radiator. wtf! why would toyota do this to us :eekfacepalm:

im not even going to get into my power steering pump that im replacing at the same time...

·
Registered
970 Posts
I feel your pain. I replaced my front main seal earlier this year, and it was quite the process. You are lucky though, the hardest part for me was removing the lower timing belt pulley from the crank. It took me about 30 minutes and there was blood.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The last time I tried to remove the crank pulley, I couldn't. That engine ended up with a new crank when the nice asshat at the Toyota dealership snapped the bolt off with his air ratchet. Asshat because my usual mechanic (a friend of the family) was there but the service manager chose to give the car to the junior guy who didn't have a clue...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
On my 5M's I've always been able to remove the crank pulley by carefully prying behind it evenly with a couple of stout, flat screwdrivers. I've never had to use my puller on them. Before I put them back on, I clean everything good and smear a light coating of grease on the shaft and pulley bore, so it slides back together easier.

Sorry to hear about your frustration, but I guess that's the tradeoff of having a 7MGTE swapped MK2 Supra. We should only be so lucky. :)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
i've damaged a crank pulley at a junkyard, trying to remove it this way.

I bought a $10 pulley remover from princess auto (like harbor freight) and was well worth the money.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a good neighbor of mine has one. so im going to borrow his :zzzzz:

·
MemberSince2000
311 Posts
Anytime the job requires you to pull of the crank pulley, you know you've got one hell-of-a work cut out for you =P

For one-time jobs, there's Always autozone :thumbsup: _ basically like a free tool rental ;D

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Ive pulled so many of these dam things its become an Art. Its mainly because the Pulley builds up rust between it and the crank which makes it hard to get off.

The Screwdriver effect works well for this but a Pulley puller is really the only way get it off safely. Removing the radiator is a must if that Pulley has never been removed before. Once you get it off, Take some sand paper and and clean the inside of the pulley out as much as Possible. Then clean the Crank off the same way, Put some good lube inside the pulley and slide it back on. It should go on pretty easy, Its its still really tight, take it off and clean it up with some more sandpaper. Once you have this done, If you ever have to remove it again, you wont have to remove the radiator. Just break the crank bolt, and wiggle to Pulley back off.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
BTDT, not fun. Esp. because right now I have <1/4" clearance between my e-fan and my crank pulley, and <1/2" between my e-fan and my water pump pulley. I feel your pain my friend. Right now I can't even get a ratchet on my crank pulley w/o removing my lower hard pipe for the intercooler. That means reaching up under the turbo to remove the outlet clamp... fun fun. I did figure out that I can get about 10* or so of rotation by just barely slipping a 19mm wrench open end at an angle. It's a bitch, but possible (for me.. I'm 7M-GTE, so it's different) but it's still a PITA.

·
Registered
515 Posts
BTDT, not fun. Esp. because right now I have <1/4" clearance between my e-fan and my crank pulley, and <1/2" between my e-fan and my water pump pulley. I feel your pain my friend. Right now I can't even get a ratchet on my crank pulley w/o removing my lower hard pipe for the intercooler. That means reaching up under the turbo to remove the outlet clamp... fun fun. I did figure out that I can get about 10* or so of rotation by just barely slipping a 19mm wrench open end at an angle. It's a bitch, but possible (for me.. I'm 7M-GTE, so it's different) but it's still a PITA.
man... and I sometimes smash my hand into the A/C pulley with my 6m... I cant imagine getting in there with e-fans and intercooler piping etc.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The all-important part of prying on it with screwdrivers/pry bars is: only contact the pulley at it's hub, the part inside of the rubber ring. The flange is way too fragile to put any pressure on, and breaks easily (I have 1 or 2 of those from other engines that I haven't worked on).

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
For those of you with electric fans, you can physically unbolt the radiator and lift it up 6-8" (unless you went full-retard and did coolant hardpipes), the hoses will allow that kind of flex and you won't have to drain the system.

...and if you're hitting your IC piping, well... sucks to be you, non-FFIM owner. (Terrible price/performance mod, skip it under almost all circumstances.

--billyM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts