Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 84' Celica Supra 2 days ago. Previous owner did the hard work (rebuild engine, manual swap, other things I can't think of right now) the reason he sold it is because one day his buddy gave him a jump but crossed the positive and negative. Everything electrical isn't working. So far I replaced the old battery and most of the fuses near the battery. I got it to start without jumping it. Headlights won't pop up. Battery gauge won't move up when I start the car, dome light doesn't turn on, automatic windows won't work, ac doesnt work. However Dash lights do turn turn, door lights turn on, radio and speakers work, door lock works. Would be very helpful to know how to fix those.

·
Premium Member
1985 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
114 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I would personally start with the basics.
  • Check ALL fuses (battery, DS kickpanel, PS kickpanel). Even replace all of them if they are original.
  • Check fusible links. There are more than just the ones in the fuse panel.
  • Bookmark the TSRM and EWD (MK2 TSRM On-Line) (_1985 EWD.pdf)
TSRM is great to have to located and fix issues. EWD is going to go in depth on electrical.

Again start with the BASICS.... I have fixed many cars by just checking fuses.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi and welcome!

After testing, replace any blown fusible links and fuses. If certain circuits still don't work, you'll want to trace each circuit starting from battery and measure for power at each junction. Where power stops, shows there's break in circuit between that spot and previous junction where it did have power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome!

• Check ALL fuses (battery, DS kickpanel, PS kickpanel). Even replace all of them if they are original.
TSRM is great to have to located and fix issues. EWD is going to go in depth on electrical.

Hello and welcome!

Ah man thanks for the hook up. Yeah I kinda figured I'd start with all the fuses. Changing out all the ones near the battery helped get somethings to turn on. I haven't had luck replacing a pink and yellow fusible link in the fuse box near the battery. I've been taking my time and cleaning the areas I've been working on (battery, fuse box). I'll start working on the kickpanels tomorrow hopefully

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome!

LIFESAVER. Once I replaced the fuses in the DS kickpanel the car came back to life. Headlights popped right up, windows work like a charm, even the AC works. Although the flow is stuck to the windshield so I'm going to have to investigate that one. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Welcone, and great peogress so far.
For your airflow, this is very strange, as outlets are open/close with physical links to the lever.

Reactions: Kenjiboijoi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcone, and great peogress so far.
For your airflow, this is very strange, as outlets are open/close with physical links to the lever.
Thank you very much, and yeah the lever is stuck on the windshield position. I want to just pull it to the other side by force but I'm I don't want to break it either. I'll try loosening the lever.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
My levers are stuck except for one as well... thought vehicle might had to run if it's a vacuum controlled system.
Nope, you can move all levers at any position at all times. Hope you don't have a nest inside there. I once had one in the fan fins over a winter (bad storage location), but that was the further they went.

Reactions: Kenjiboijoi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, you can move all levers at any position at all times. Hope you don't have a nest inside there. I once had one in the fan fins over a winter (bad storage location), but that was the further they went.
How would you go by removing the nest if there was one? It does feel like something is making the airflow lever stuck. It just blows air to the windshield

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Honestly I don't have an easy answer.
Removing the blower and the AC evap (if AC. is dead) are both pretty easy. That may give acces of the central area where the redirections gets done, but I'm not even sure, as I never really explore that issue.

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra P-Type, white.
338 Posts
Thank you very much, and yeah the lever is stuck on the windshield position. I want to just pull it to the other side by force but I'm I don't want to break it either. I'll try loosening the lever.
Everything connected to that lever is mechanical. I had an issue recently where my airflow was stuck on the side vents, no matter where I moved the lever. Turns out it had "jumped the track", and wasn't moving the doors down in the blower box. Something similar maybe happening for you, in that it's bound up instead of off the track.

What I'd suggest is to remove the knobs and HVAC plate, then spray a small amount of lubricate back where that knob pivots.
Secondly have someone move that knob (to whatever extent it can move) and see if it's moving along the track. The blower box track can be found under the dash in the drivers footwell, about 6 inches to the right of your toes, if your foot is on the gas pedal. You'll see it wiggling with the lever. Check if there is any binding there.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts