Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a new(to me) white 86' Supra. Always liked the car, and I was in desperate need of something while my XR4TI awaits a rebuild and my daily driver (an accord) died horribly. So at 2K Cdn, with minimal to no rust I bought one. And it would force me to learn how to drive stick. Poor things clutch is taking a beating as I figure it out. =)

Anyway, a few things I noticed I'm wondering if they are normal or should look more closely at them.

- After a run at 120km/h or so it smells odd(hot) when I'm stopped. Coolant temp stays normal though.

- Fair amount of play in the shifter, about an inch I can waggle it around when it's in gear. Doesn't seem right.

- On the way to work the brake and battery light flashed on and off a couple of times, very quick and barely noticed it. Haven't seen it go off again. When it did I was in 3rd gear going about 60km/h. It wasn't the normal display of lights I get when I try and start from a stop. =) (nub stick drivers)

But, after 5 days of owning the car. I'm definitely enjoying this car a lot. What was intended as a daily driver is tempting me into treating it as another project car. Shame I can really only finance one project at a time. =)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Welcome to the forums. :p

In your shifter there is a plastic cup like Bushing (I guess you can call it that) It might be worne out.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum. Where in Canada are you?

The brake light flashing on could be caused by a loose switch on your ebrake, not sure why the battery light would come on at the same time. As for the shifter, a new bushing might make it a little tighter feeling but what you are noticing is normal for an old w58 tranny, they have a bit of play to them. A member on this board has a group buy going for a short shifter, this should help reduce alot of that. Check out the group buy section.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Brake and battery light at the same time is "usually" alternator related.Check the belts and connections first.My Cressida was intermitant for over 6 months before the Alt. actualy died.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The flashing lites are definately related to the alternator. I had the same problem when I took mine out of storage, but it went away after I drove it consistantly. Check the alternator belt tension and then the alternator output.

-Hosam

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out the alternator... I'm thinking the hot is oil leaking and just burning off.

Anyone know where to start looking for doorlocks that always lock? hit unlock, they unlock for a second and immediatly lock.. Shut door and they lock. Nice security feature, but I keep having to learn across to let the other person in. =)

Me is off to wash it now.. gonna be sunny for a couple of days. =)

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
hey. That problem with your locks is caused by a bad door lock relay in the drivers side door. If you remove the door panel its the big one thats closest to the door lock and window switchs on the door panel, its almost underneath them. Just a little black box. Its actually the vibrations from the locks locking that triggers it. You'll probably find that a good slam or a hard bump in the road will trigger your locks too. Replace the box and you should be fine. Finding them at wreckers is hit and miss though as its a common problem.

You didn't mention where abouts you are, wouldn't be BC lower mainland?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Auto locking doors can also be caused by a loose or corroded wire connection at the door lock solenoid. Very common.

Loose shifter is usually due to bad rubber bushing and/or nylon cup at end of shifter. See the "Modifications" section of my website for replacement part numbers.

Where in Canada are you?

There's a big Mk2 community in the Toronto area, if you are near here.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm from Victoria, BC... The extreme west side of Canada, so a we bit from Toronto unfortunately.

Just bought myself one of them Supra repair manual CD's via ebay. Hopefully it's better then the XR one I have. =)

Thanks for the site, looks like many hours in my garage (ok yard) playing with it's internals. Should make for a good summer.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
D'oh theres Toyota repair maunals online. In fact there is an 86 repair manual online. I believe they can be downloaded as well. Someone from this list took alot of time to scan that whole thing in and I hope thats not whats being sold on these CD's on E-Bay you will have to let us know if they are the same so we can serve up an ass whomping if its in order.

Heres the 86 Manual http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/index.html

Theres also an 84 manual online, you can find the link at www.masupras.com

Someone may still have these somewhere where they can be dowloaded so they can be used offline too, hopepully someone will chime in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh so there is.. doh! Ahh well, I tend to like to have a copy of that kinda stuff anyway. It only cost me $5, but if it's a rip of what someone has online it'll make me angry... And they wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Sorry, just saw the movie... had to say the quote.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts