Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just replaced my pooched out alternator with a new rebuilt bosch/Nippon Denso unit.

It doesnt seem to be overcharging now (no where near the 18 volts it was at yesterday) but both lights are still on!! (charge and ebrake)

I was wondering if there was a reset or somthing to alleviate this problem, or if my battery is toast... possible??

The 5MGE is out of an 88 Cressida, could that cause it?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i believe the alternator I got was for the 88 Cressida... does that make any kind of difference?

Aaron

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aa

Dave,

Cool... thanks for the info. Im guessing then that I wont have any problems driving the car as is, except for maybe the anoyance of the lights being on... correct?

Oh, and what is it about the newer style alternators that causes this to happen?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seamus,

I know that =) I got the newer style alternator though, thats why Im wondering. It'll be safe to drive with the lights still on you think, eh?

Anywho, Im guessing that the reason im only getting 13.2volts at the battery terminals is because the battery isnt accepting a charge anymore. I cant imagine that the alternator going would cause any other sort of charging system failure... especially when Im making 14.3 at the alternator.

Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.