Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old alt, dies, and the 60 amps was just not enough so i searched this site for hours looking for the right replacement alt, and Ol'Supraguy came through for me. The used 1992 Lexus ES300 80 amp Alt I bought from a boneyard went in a week ago, and WOW :eek: what a difference...

To start with about a year ago I posted a question about a sticking accelerator issue, the accelerator pedal would "stick" when accelerating, and would "open-up" around 400 rpm in every gear, it was wierd. Everyone thought it was a linkage issue something binding, well it NO LONGER does this. The alt swap fixed it, I don't know how or why (nor do i care) but the pedal pushes freely now... and smooth power (as smooth as a stock 5M can be) is all i get no more sticking pedal.

Amp for stereo used to cut off and on, I thought it was a bad circuit in the amp, but apparently it wasnlt getting enough juice to stay on continuously, it's fine now too...

Headlights no longer dim at stop lights when idling, I swear the car seems faster, (probably the accelerator thing above)

Anyway anyone having electrical issues with alternators should consider replacing theirs with a Lexus alt. I'm glad I did, and it's a nippondenso too. :)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
so, I've never heard this...though i don't read every thread, did you have to swap the pulley's over or do any modifying to make sure it mounted correctly?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The only swap was the pulley from my 60 amp stock alt was removed and the shaft re-drilled to 17 mm from the original 15mm to bolt right on the Lexus alt. Other than that it was no other mods needed. The thread about three months ago about alternator replacement turned me on tho this simple fix, and Ol'Supraguy was the one who figured it all out. Plug was round with same connections, mounting holes were the same, the oly reason the pulley needed to be changed was that the Lexus was a 6 rib where our belts are 7 ribs. It was painless; I bought the alt from a bone yard for $60 bucks without a core, then $40 for the guy to machine the pulley and swap them so for $100 I'm happy.

Search www.car-part.com entering in the 1992 Lexus Es300 then select alternator, then narrow the results by selecting only your state, I was able to drive to a local shop to see the alternator to be sure the plug was the same before purchasing, as some 6 cyl Camry alts fro the same year have oval plugs and different mounting holes...

The parts houses will tell you the Camry V6 alts are interchangable but every Camry alt I looked at had an oval plug, maybe the plugs can be changed without an issue but if you don't have too why bother?

Hope this helps you, and anyone else but no credit to me, it all goes to Ol'Supraguy - I left the on I got at 80 amps Ol'supraguy had his rebuit to a higher amperage, when mine dies again I'll rebuild it to almost 120 amps.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Geez man, Thanks for the Kudos. All I did was assimilate the info from others on this board and from a good local alternator rebuilder that was willing to share some of his knowledge.

By the way, there are 17mm by 7 rib pulleys out there. My rebuilder found one in his junk box but could not remember which type vehicle it came from. It bolted up to my Lexus alternator and aligned with the other engine pulleys without any fitment issues. I wonder if any members have any way to track this down. I'm guessing that Toyota may have used the 7 rib by 17mm bolt hole pulley on some of their truck and SUV engine alternators. Any way to check this out anyone?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I asked my alternator guy about getting a 7 rib 7 pulley from another alt, but he didn't have one laying around, although you could hardly walk in his shop from all th alts and starters laying around. Someone that knows toyotas should be able to find another engine that came stock with the same pulley.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
why not just us a 7mgte alternator?

Because IIRC the bolt holes are at six and one oclock on the 7mge and the 5mge alternator holes are at six and twelve oclock. From what I have read on this board, the 7mge alternator can be made to work by altering the mounting bracket slightly. The Lexus alternator is a true bolt on swap except for the pulley. I am assuming that the 7mge and 7mgte alternators are the same, if not I would think that the 7mgte alternator would be a little harder to come by.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Does anyone know if this 1992 Lexus ES300 alternator is the exact same one as the 1992 Toyota Camry V6 alternator? I know the 1992 Camry V6 had different alternators between the car model, so asking for the Lexus one just makes it easier to find the correct alternator to get? Are the mounting points the same as the 1985 Supra 5MGE alternator(12 and 6 o'clock right?) I heard the round plug is at a different location, but the stock plug will still reach the alternator, correct? After I drill out my old pulley to 17mm can I just use the stock 7rib belt, or will I need a shorter or longer one? Does the alternator bracket need to be grinded down? To the people who did the Lexus alternator upgrade, did you also do this mod posted here? Its a new wire from the alternator to the positive battery terminal with a fuse. Do you think it is necessary to do if I just have stock electronics, or can I do it later as I add more electronics into my car?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm rocking the direct bolt-in Camry alt right now. Still have it's original pulley until I can grab a 7-rib. I'm also using the stock belt that Napa sells, it's just when I buy it I cut one rib off since they're sewn together. It'd be pretty hard to mess the cutting up.

Once I can buy the wiring to upgrade my grounds and alt power wire I'm gonna do that too.

I'd like to upgrade the alt yet again, one of the 140 amp models, but wiring will come first, and if I'm still not happy THEN I'll get the big boy haha.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I am still fond of my 140A alt, and they are hard to kill.:zzzzz:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im currently doing this swap, but they gave me the oval plug one. so im attempting to splice the wires into the supra. the wires go (from left to right) yellow, red and white. which of these match up to our big yellow, big black, little black wires? please help

EDIT: I finished this 2 days later. so if anybody gets an alt with the oval plug off a 92 lexus es300, the wires go (from our car is listed first):
big black to yellow
yellow to white
black to red/blue stripe

I hope this benefits ppl in the future

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
I got the 80a Lex alt in today, upgraded the ground cable to 4awg. Lights were still dimming slightly with heater on low and radio turned down; but V did increase after the swap. Noticed the dash meter did increase (haven't thrown a multimeter on it yet). I'm contemplating doing the battery->alt 4awg mod. I do believe I would need an 80a slo-blo fuse as close to the battery as possible. Correct me if I'm wrong someone...

-Rocky

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there any alt that will put out more amps for an 82 l-type because i am in need of a new one and want more amps out of it but i cant find one that will fit without a ground plug...any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts