Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hey, I got a new car. It's an 85. kinda burgandy maroon blood red color, with black and grey interior. Paint is real good, just a very few cancer spots under the year and a half old paint. I got this car, towed it home, and tried driving it. Well, it's missing on either 1 or 2 cylendars. Just did a real quick test to see if I'm getting spark on all 6 wires, I am. When I started it to go for a drive, it blew some blue smoke, but that could just be rings. The previous owner said they took it to a mechanic, and he said it was not firing on 2 cylendars, bad head gasket. I'm trying to make it easy for myself, but am not sure where to start to try to do easy fixes. Is there such a thing? MK2Racer is willing to help me, but I just want to check with you all also. I have some pictures, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to post them. Help again? But seriously, I'm going for any easy alternative to jumping into a head gasket situation. Any and all help is obviously greatly appreciated. Thanks. 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Try doing a compression test on the car, that will tell you if you have a BHG. As for the posting pics up put them up on like www.imagestation.com use their link to post them up here :wink: If you need more help PM me about it I'll help you out

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
U doin anything this weekend? I can bring over my compression gauge - thats the first thing we can do to see which cylinder(s) are bad. Pull all the plugs and check one cylinder at a time - crank engine over about 3 times on each. See that each cylinder is within about 5-10 lbs of one another and see if they hold compression.
PM me with directions or phone #.
I was going to buy that car last Saturday but then she called and said she was gonna be gone for the Labor day holiday so I made arrangements for this Sat. to haul it up here to WI. At least it went to another Supra enthusiast.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question for you all, if I decide to drive my car, and it's running like this, is it necessarily bad for the motor? Granted, I don't want to drive on a bad motor (maybe), but I need something smaller for going to work. I have a limo and it just drinks gas on my 45 minute commute to and then 45 minute commute from work.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4SFED said:
I was going to buy that car last Saturday but then she called and said she was gonna be gone for the Labor day holiday so I made arrangements for this Sat. to haul it up here to WI. At least it went to another Supra enthusiast.

Sorry about that by the way, didn't know that I'd be stealing it from you, but you have 1+ sup, I have um, a limo. I need a sup, and I'm glad that you aren't mad at me for getting it. Hope you can help me this weekend, we could have a supra party or something, 3 in 1 place 8)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah Saturday Im going out there to do some work on it, we could all hook up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4SFED, if you are interested in coming out this weekend, call me or email me asap so I can get you directions. Hope to hear from you, would be real cool if you could come.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Here are some pics of Crash's car

Crash sorry I took so long to post them up, I'v been busy 8) BTW the color of your car is SDR (Super Deep Red) :wink: :p another awsome color for the mk2

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you didnt take long at all, thanks for posting them, i still cant figure out how. thank you thank you thank you

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Very nice, looks just like my friends mk2 who got his for $500 and all it needed was a silly heater hose.
Anyway Crash, I just got done driving a bad engine, I drove it 6,000 miles w/ one known bad cylinder and apparently another bad cylinder I found out when I saw the pistons. Anyway depending on how "bad" your engine is will tell if you can drive it "safely", If it truly is a BHG I don't suggest to drive it, you could overheat badly and destroy the head completly. Has anyone even checked the oil to see if water was in your oil? That and doing a compression check would help out in knowing for sure

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did check the oil a few days ago, there was just oil. Looked like there is about 2000 miles left on the oil, kinda black but mostly clear yet. No water, coolant, etc in it. Pretty sure I mentioned that it puffed blue smoke when I started driving it, but the oil is full. But you got 6k miles on a bad engine, wow. I am going to do a compression check with MK2Racer and 4SFED and another friend tomorrow (Saturday). Compression check, and other stuff. I can't wait to get my new toy up and running, I'm never gonna want to stop driving it. Then I might suffer from that medical condition MSS (Multiple Supra Syndrome) and from there..... :shock:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...
Today, Saturday, myself, MK2Racer, and 4SFed looked at my slightly unhappy Supra. Ah yes, the BHG. Well, that's what it is aparently, cylendars 1-4 compression tested at 150-170, cylendars 5 and 6 were at 5 and 20. Think there's a small large problem with this. So, for now, my 4 cylendar Sup will be parked a little while longer. Gonna go cry now...

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
5 and 20? psi? omg you should check to see if there's holes in those pistons, what a big YIKES!
when I sucked the bolt into my #4 and smashed in my piston and CC, the compression still sat at 110psi, all others were 180
sorry about the bad luck, I think your Redpra is wanting a rebuild =(

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm gonna go out Sunday and check to make sure it's a bhg, by starting it, opening the radiator cap, and revving it. Aparently, if it's a bhg, it'll run like normal. But, if it's a cracked head (worst case scenario) the coolant will shoot about 4 inches out of the radiator. So, if it is a bhg, I can call a guy and hopefully he's still into his repair thingy. Basically, from what I hear, he will come out to the car, do the head gasket, guaranty his work, all for 250 bucks. I would of course spend the money at that point to get a Toyota head gasket, rather than a crappy aftermarket one. I don't know if the rest of the gaskets are bad, but I hear bad things about a Felpro head gasket set. Well, the head gasket is aparently bad, but the rest are good. Don't know, don't know. I am thinking she wants a rebuild, and being the guy I am, I have to give in to her (like I always do) and get a rebuild. Well, sorta. Till I get the money, I'm gonna have to run her on this motor. Ah yes, a 6m is in the future for her I think. Hm... Go cruising the highway killin civics... Sweet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts