1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
491 Posts
That looks REAL good, I very much like the old wing vs the new version. Curious, how much does the CF hatch weigh VS the old steely hatch given the same options equipped.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah I prefer the one large sunshade over the double, though when I had my painted I went with the double since that was all that I've ever found at a junk yard in my area.
I agree that gap does look big.

..... I want/need those rims.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it just me or is the gap between the bottom of the hatch and the lights really big?
I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. I just went out and checked it; sure enough, I need to adjust the latch mechanism a little to "suck down" the hatch a little more. On the passenger side, it's barely touching the rubber stops....good catch.

Btw, just weighed the stock '85 hatch w/double spoiler, wiper motor and all wiring still attached = 67lbs. CF hatch w/new seal and glass = 40.6lbs. I forgot to weigh it with '84 spoiler/wing attached but it can't weigh more than 5 or 6 lbs. So probably looking at ~20lb. savings...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Looks good. I would be afraid to slam the hatch closed.
You better believe i shut mine slow as all get out. It is a solid piece though, once i click it shut it has a nice feel to it.

Nice pics, love seeing one with the sunshade on it finally.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How did you center the decal? I tried my best to center mines and it turned out not being perfect (or even close) so i tore that sucker right off. There goes $40

·
Registered
486 Posts
From what I recall, when applying vinyl you use a mixture of soapy water and spray onto the application side of the decal and the destination. The soapy water allows you to still move the position around to fit where you want it to be. When it is positioned, you use a squeegee and use it to removed the fluid allowing the decal to set in place. If you didn't use the soapy water (or whatever mixture people use now-a-days), you would have to get it dead-on when you first lay it down.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I just too a measurement of the hatch and the decal. Marked center. Taped the top of the decal where I wanted it, put tape from the decal backing to the car. Then pealed the wax paper (?) away and applied the lettering. Then rubbed the backing and pulled the backing off. It looks centered to me. I didn't know about the soapy water method though.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
I'd be a little wary of using the soap method, thats how you install tint, but the glue on tint is made to be mixed with water. I personally wouldn't want to gamble on the adhesive on a vinyl decal being designed for it too. I basically did what Darrow did. Just measure the thing, then use masking tape to mark the edges where the decal will go. You can see the masking tape well enough through the paper as you apply the decal. I recommend using a sewing tape measuring roll so you don't scratch your paint (don't use a steel tape measure).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just wanted to add that the soapy water method was the one my friend that used to run a vinyl graphics shop recommended. Though, that was back in the 90s so maybe things have changed since then. Key is just add a drop or two of soap; doesn't require much.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I've had an RV that vinyls had to be redone (paid by 3M).
Not sure there was soap in the bottle, but the installer was using water in a spray bottle to allow correct placement of the specially cut fancy sections. So the "wet" is for sure used by professional installers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts