Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics of my new 2.5" exhaust. I used a 2.5" catco cat and a Magnaflow 14835 3" inlet muffler. Excellent sound, big upper RPM difference. Not a big difference in the low end but does breathe better all over. The Magnaflow makes a very smooth DEEP tone at 1000-1500 RPM revving down. Definatly not too loud, nor too quiet. above 5500 makes the running-out-of-steam-please-shift-now blatty sound, but no real need to go much past that. 8)

Nick

That hole goes all the way to the header, well, 2.5" of that hole :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you change the stock 2.25" thorley collector pipe or use that?

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
I was curious what a 14835 Magnaflow looked like on a MkII. Looks pretty good. I was thinking about using one when I upgraded my exhaust from 2.25 to 3". I was a little unsure about the single tip thing though. Magnaflow doesn't make a dual tip polished 3" unit from what I can tell. I'm surprised the exhuast isn't too loud for you with no resonator installed. On mine you could never hear the stereo on the freeway without it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you change the stock 2.25" thorley collector pipe or use that?
Actually, the exhaust shop chopped the pipe that came with the Thorley right before where is reduces to 2.25". Here's a pic:

As for a resonator, the Catco cat is a bit more restrictive than some slightly more expensive, freer-flowing cats, therefore it kinda acts like a resonator. At 80(~3400rpm) mph criuse, windows down not very loud at all.

I wanted to go with the dual-tipped, Magnaflow 14815...buuuuuut with a 2.25" inlet, naaaaaa. I too was skeptical about the single tip, but it turned out pretty damn good lookin', IMHO.

Unfortunately, the piping isn't mandrel bent :( it's actually machine bent, so everything is still smooth, just not exactly the same size though the bends. But since the MKII exhaust path is so simple, it doesn't really matter. The 10 foot section of pipe he had fit from collector to the end of the rear bumper :) and almost fit! Only three bends!

Thanks for all the complements guys!
Nick

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
ohh man, that muffler pipe looks awsome (it does look like a 3")

im waiting for my muffler to come in but i got my 2.5" catco cat and Thorley headers this past monday :p . Imma see if i can ask the muffler shop guy to chop that 2.25 collector pipe off.

<--- soon to be driving an 84 white 6M with I/H/E and PP head. 2.5" exhaust that is :wink:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
How much did the piping and bending cost you? Where did you get the muffler and how much? Very cool! That is one of the mufflers I have been looking at!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The whole she-bang was about $410. That includes the Magnaflow (which the shop ordered) and my cat (which I ordered independently of the muffler shop).

I think the muffler cost about 120? 140? Something like that. I'm not sure as the owner of the shop and I came to $350 for that muffler and 2.5" alum. steel from the header back. I also had everything welded; the only not welded part is the header collector, which was a little cheaper than having the cat put in with flanges, but welds don't tend to leak and if they do I go back and ::bssstbssst: no more leak!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very nice setup. Im going to go for the same thing. I like the one big sound hole!

my band's lead guitarist's dad owns a muffler shop here in town... maybe I can get it @ cost :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
i like the muffler but for me its to big and shiney ide shoot it black

my personal taste

1 - 12 of 12 Posts