Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to put new exhaust on my 6m. I'm going to go with 2.5 inch with no cat, I don't want it very loud but i want it to flow well. I was thinking about going with a Flow Master but I'm not sure how this would sound on a straight 6 plus I don't want to pay a ton for a muffler.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
861 Posts
The Flowmaster doesn't sound half bad on an inline 6, but I think it will be louder than you expect. I ran a muffler on my MKIII called a "Mellowtone". A suppsed new competitor to Flowmaster about 6 months ago. Great throaty sound without being ricey. Nice smooth sound indeed! I had a turbo though, and the back pressure was there in the boost side. I could hear it in the muffler as I boosted anywhere above 6psi. But below, never gave any response problems. look into it. If you do decide to go with a Flowmaster, just make sure you get a 3 chamber. Those are the quietest ones they offer. Hope that helps some!

Scotty

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
Ive got one on mine, came with the car. Its not bad, but dont ever ever cruise between 1800 and 2000rpm, you'll know what I'm talking about if and when you do. Aside from that bad resonating tone at 2000rpm, its great. I absoultely love the way it sounds at about 2/3rds throttle going between 2500 and 4000rpm running it up through the gears. It scares small hondas as well...

---BillyM

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
its not that much, right now im running a high flow grape fruit shooter with a 2.5" piping with a high flow 2.5" cat on it (I live in a Smog nazi state) and I think my system flows pretty good.

just my .02 cents :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I run a no cat system, 2.25 back to 2.5 MagnaFlow. Fairly quiet at idle, mellow to around 3000rpm, then pleasently loud enough to impress the ricers, and keep them from wanting any of it....... The head is off at the moment due to BHG, and is getting ported/polished exhaust ports, and valves are being polished to smooth things up some I'll let you know if the tone is still the same

·
Registered
501 Posts
for what it's worth, i got a 2.5" set up with a high flow cat and a dynomax (ultraflow, i think?) muffler. it's loud, very annoying on the highway. i wish it was quieter.

shiva

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I had a local muffler shop remove my Flowmaster and install a 2.5 in / dual 2.5 out Magnaflow. Sounds great, nice note...and it doesn't *drone* on the inside of the car like the Flowmaster did at 2200 to 2500 rpm.

pic: http://www.internetmediastudio.com/supra/web_pics/sup_magnaflow.jpg

You can see the old Flowmaster in my sig picture

·
Registered
591 Posts
if you don't want it loud or ricey put a shoir glasspack in front of the miffler itself. it'sx really good at taking the highpitched engine noise out and stock system use them to shut the car up a lil more. my wxhaust is 2.5" with hi-flow cat 36" glasspack and a turbomuffler built to run on rv's(7.5" by 30")and the only thing you hear coming out of my dual slant cut chrome 2.5" pipes is air. the muffler guy said the glasspack was overkill but i wanted that sob quiet.

·
Super Moderator
7,300 Posts
I've got a Brullen 2.5" cat-back on mine. Quite as hell with the stock cat, as soon as i put on the high flow it was a whole different monster. Nice quite growl at idle, but the meanest sob i've heard on a mk2 so far. And that's the quite one with the extra insulation...i'd hate to hear what it sounds like with the 'loud-ricer' version.

I personally love-it, but not the setup for someone looking for something quite. I've been told by a few people that my mk2 is the best sounding mk2 they've heard, but i'm sure the www.rabidchimp.com intake and Doug Thorley Headers have just as much to do with as the Exhaust.

·
Founding Member
6,569 Posts
If you intend to be able to hold a conversation while driving/riding in your Supra, don't use any of the chambered mufflers like the Flowmaster. The "turbo" style mufflers like the standard dynomax (they have straight thru styles too) are the quietest and and the straight-thru type mufflers like Magnaflow are in between. Best all around I've found for non-turbo (and I've spent thousands trying almost every conceivable combination) is a resonator or glass-pack between the cat and muffler followed up with a straight-thru type muffler like the Magnaflow on a 2.25 inch system.

Phil D.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys...should I take my stock CAT off or keep it. if I get rid of it I won't be putting a new high flow on it. but without it will a resonator and a straight through muffler be enough to make it semi quiet? there are no emission laws here yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
as mentioned above, I have just a straight thru Magnaflow 2.5inch in out, and it is always quiet enough in the car for conversation, stereo, etc. now behind the car at 3000+ rpm is another matter

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
well, ive got a 2.25, no cat, and a dynomax...
in the front seat, its fairly loud, but you can converse with people.
in the back seat is a whole nother matter.... its loud, i think partly cause the rust holes but its loud.

outside the car its not bad, and above 3000 rpm its got a really nice cackly growl :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
FWIW, I have a 2.5" Magnaflow on mine, and run a "test pipe" for track days, hi-flow cat for others. There's a noticeable difference in running with vs. without, my guess about 10~15 hp, as well as a longer powerband without the cat installed.
Also, if you live in a place where they are not only smog nazis, but also noise nazis, You'd better run a cat! With the Magnaflow AND a cat, I got tested at 94.2db @3400rpm, just .8db below the legal limit of noise! If they took it any higher that 3600rpm, I would have definitely failed! Without the cat at around 4000rpm and you'll be heard from far far away-or so my wife says...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
2.5" with a cat and a magnaflow, no droning, idles nice and pretty quite, I LOVE the tone of the car but it's not loud inside at all.... purrrfect

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have stock

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
There's a noticeable difference in running with vs. without, my guess about 10~15 hp, as well as a longer powerband without the cat installed.
What brand/model cat? There's hi-flo and then there's HI-FLO.
Random Tech has 2 different series (higher flo 9000 series goes with higher price). It would be nice to know if the higher flo's worth the extra $.

·
Super Moderator
7,300 Posts
StanS said:
There's hi-flo and then there's HI-FLO.
I don't have technical proof, but that point is argueable. I've talked to a few exhaust builders who have all stated that all cat manufacturer's (including Random Technologies) get their cores from the same company...forgot the name. They have all agreed with Random Tech. you're paying for the name.

I could be way off on this...i'm just stating their input on this...havn't researched it myself...and probably putting my foot in my mouth as we speak :D ...just thought i'd share this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts