Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from northern California.
I recently started using this site as a resource while working on my '84. So it's time to join, since this looks like the place to find help with these otherwise forgotten cars.
A few details:
  • 166k miles
  • Unmodified
  • Manual transmission
  • Sunroof
  • L-Type cloth seats

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Welcome!! How long have your owned the '84?? Seats were changed??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m the third owner and I bought it last year. But the second owner is family, and they bought it in the late ‘90s as a result of me meeting the first owner in the early ‘90s. So I’ve been involved with the car for a long time.
The seats are original. Apparently a rare ’84 option. I don’t know if the first owner requested that configuration or if she just found the car on the dealer’s lot, but that’s how it was built.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Welcome to the group. You are correct that there is a wealth of knowledge here, but I would not say that the MKII is "forgotten". Almost everywhere I go folks come running up and say how much they liked them when the MKII first came out. And younger folks who were not born then still come over to ask what kind of car it is. I had one guy ask if it was a Ferrari!

I don't believe that you folks on the "left coast" have to worry so much about rust, even in northern CA, but carefully check the areas between the wheel arch flares and the steel body, as this is a common place for rust, especially on the right rear where there is a plastic plate that protects the fuel filler neck. You always want to nip rust in the bud before it is too late.

SEATS:
In '84, the "L" Type came standard with velour seats. Leather was optional.

The standard "P" Type seat was the so-called Sport seat, upholstered in a more textured cloth to better resist sliding during spirited driving. However, both the velour and leather trim were optional. I'm not sure, but I am under the impression that if you got the velour seats in a "P" type, you got the standard seat, rather than the 8-way adjustable seat. My leather driver's seat is the 8-way adjustable version.

In the following image, from an original 1984 Supra sales brochure, the left column is the "P", and the right column is the "L":

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Document

So you could indeed get a "P" with the velour seats. In fact, the "P" type that was featured on Wheeler Dealers a few years back had the velour seats, and they ended up refurbishing them because apparently velour cloth was an '80's thing and now NLA. Also notice near the top that there is a footnote 3 next to the standard sunshade for the "P". At the bottom it tells you that if you tick the box for leather in your "P", the sunshade is deleted. Very interesting! Does the sun not shine on folks sitting in the back on leather, but it does if they are sitting on cloth? I can also attest that this is true, as my car came with leather, and there is no sunshade.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

So how about posting a photo of your seats......

Bob

·
Founding Member
6,725 Posts
Welcome aboard. Looks like a really nice example you've got there.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Those are fur shur the velour seats alright!
Yes, and he is not the first one we see with this rare combination.
I also beleive that most were with the Maroon exterior color, (not to says UPS brown, it may aware some sleeping old timers) 😏

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Welcome! I own its evil twin, complete with L-type interior. My root beer brown '84 started out as an automatic but I swapped in a 5 speed when I swapped in a 6mge. I am second owner; original owner lived in Washington state and wintered in Las Vegas, where I picked it up in 2014. It is about to go to its third owner, another forum member in Chicago area.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Plant

Reactions: ChiTownMK2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...but I would not say that the MKII is "forgotten".
They certainly aren't forgotten here! But it has been many years since I've seen another '82-'86 on the road. And the lack of availability of service parts unfortunately says a lot.
Yes, and he is not the first one we see with this rare combination.
I also believe that most were with the Maroon exterior color.
Does anyone here have this combination in a different color?
Welcome! I own its evil twin, complete with L-type interior.
I wish my front seats retained as much color as yours!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts