Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just picked up an 85 manual car. This is my first Supra, but not my first "vintage" car (is 85 really vintage now?) I've had a 70 Dodge Dart since I was a teenager and in between I had a 62 Ford Falcon wagon. The Supra is stock except for intake and exhaust: cold air intake, a header, 2.5 inch exhaust, catalytic delete, and some kind of performance muffler.

The car runs and drives OK but has some issues like most ~40 year old cars, and I want to start driving it regularly so I can really figure out what all the little issues are. My problem is the exhaust; it's too loud for my tastes. I'm not looking to go fast, I just want a quiet, factory style muffler.

Can anyone recommend a factory style (quiet) muffler with a 2.25 or 2.5 inch inlet? I figure if I replace the muffler with a factory style unit it will still have a bit of volume with the header, larger pipe, and absent cat.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
Some on FB have used a Magnaflow 14815 which inlet is 2.25"

Or check RaptorRacing and check out the Magnaflow with the hangers are already attached. Note designed to fit Raptor Cat Back system and may require modification to fit other systems...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm using Raptor Racing's 2.5 inch system with the so called "Stealth" Magnaflow muffler. It is about one half the size of the original muffler, and actually louder than I would have preferred. Probably not what you are interested in. It does look nicer than aftermarket mufflers with only one outlet pipe.

Some photos of the car please!
Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I saw a bunch of people seem happy with the Magnaflow, but I'm really just looking for something more stock and less performance. I figure with the header, larger pipe, and no cat, that a stock style muffler would still be noticeably louder than the original factory setup.

Maybe I could just add a resonator. I found a bunch that would (almost) fit, like the Walker 17805, 17812, and 21687. All with 2.25 inch inlet and outlet, but I could make it work with my 2.5 inch pipe. The question then becomes how close it should be to the muffler and what size of resonator I should use.

And here's a pic of the car. (You can see someone painted the whitewalls red :sick: but I started to successfully work one letter with acetone. Those are new tires on the front.) Like I said, it needs some work but it's a solid starting point. Before long I'll have tons of questions for the experts here as I work to build up my knowledge.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took the car out for a good rip yesterday and it's really not too loud at cruising speeds, especially once it warms up. I think I'm going to throw a resonator on it and see how that goes. If I can manage to remember I'll record a before and after video and post them here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The "Stealth" system from Raptor Racing has a resonator in the middle, and I am also using a CAT. It is still pretty loud. It does sound good, and is without the "wounded goose" sound that some systems have.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can get resonator and replace cat-bypass pipe for plug-n-play installation. Cut resonator to proper length
and weld on flanges that'll fit current exhaust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get resonator and replace cat-bypass pipe for plug-n-play installation. Cut resonator to proper length
and weld on flanges that'll fit current exhaust.
Yeah, sounds like the way to go. But I'm not sure if the exhaust construction is stock, something is telling me it's one piece from the header collector to the muffler extension. I'm going to get under it and have a look tomorrow when I change the oil. Regardless, I think the place where the cat should be might be a good location for a resonator. There are super smart engineers that come up with where the resonator should go based on frequencies, pressure waves, pipe length, pipe diameter, etc. So I figure I can make a wild guess and nail it first time, right? :ROFLMAO:

I hate threads like this that don't have a resolution posted, so I'll circle back here after I make whatever changes I make and post an update. But I'm still searching for a stock type muffler with a 2.25 or 2.5 inch inlet, if anyone has any ideas!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

I just picked up an 85 manual car. This is my first Supra, but not my first "vintage" car (is 85 really vintage now?) I've had a 70 Dodge Dart since I was a teenager and in between I had a 62 Ford Falcon wagon. The Supra is stock except for intake and exhaust: cold air intake, a header, 2.5 inch exhaust, catalytic delete, and some kind of performance muffler.

The car runs and drives OK but has some issues like most ~40 year old cars, and I want to start driving it regularly so I can really figure out what all the little issues are. My problem is the exhaust; it's too loud for my tastes. I'm not looking to go fast, I just want a quiet, factory style muffler.

Can anyone recommend a factory style (quiet) muffler with a 2.25 or 2.5 inch inlet? I figure if I replace the muffler with a factory style unit it will still have a bit of volume with the header, larger pipe, and absent cat.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
A resonator or put back the catalytic converter so it's not a direct pipe coz that's what makes it louder, the absence of the cat and resonator. The stick exhaust had a resonator between the cat and rear muffler.

·
Super Moderator
7,767 Posts
The stock exhaust did not have a resonnator.
Organism Font Line Parallel Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
7,767 Posts
jerymapaul said:
Check very well it should
I bought my first Supra at 10 months old, and replaced the exhaust from cat to tail pipes twice. From the dealer. I don't need to check, I know.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A resonator or put back the catalytic converter so it's not a direct pipe coz that's what makes it louder, the absence of the cat and resonator. The stick exhaust had a resonator between the cat and rear muffler.
Yeah, either cat or resonator. They both dampen noise before getting to muffler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts