Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a new set of factory head gaskets off ebay.. I've been having a pretty nasty oil leak out of my head, which has also been causing my pressure to drop and rise dramatically as i drive.. Im just curious at what type of outcome i should expect. And also I need an estimate on install. (Timewise) I should be hitting up the shop this weekend.. Wish me luck..

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
well for one thing is the set you ordered just the head gaskets or is it the whole gasket set? I don't know the exact amount of time for the job but i'm sure its up around 8-14 hours and at 50 an hour and can get expensive, i've never taken mine to get fixed anywhere you might want to call and ask but i'm sure upon removal something is gonna break so be prepared to purchase some od ball things...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gaskets

It is the complete head set. Everything in and out... I'm not looking forward to the time I'm going to have to put in it. But what type of little od ball parts will I be expecting to run into?!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
well for example when removing the head i broke the ect sensor and a lot of my hoses were so old they just desenigrated when removing them, you might want to go buy a whole bunch of vacumn hoses, or just wait and see, but with it all apart its not a bad idea to replace the hoses.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
im gonna buy about 50 feet of vacuum hose when i swap motors... might as well change em while ive got it outa there.

as for the head gasket change, im not a professional mechanic, and i pulled a head in about 10 hours worth of work.
i would imagine that a trained mechanic in a fully outfitted shop could do the gasket change in about 8 hours.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanx alot for the info.. I guess im gonna have myself another huge headache swapping the gaskets.. Sheesh. But yeah, my cousin is a pretty good mechanic and hopefully this will only be a weekend project.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Be sure to have the head resurfaced and the block deck surface cleaned up if you plan on installing a new head gasket. Very important!

·
Registered
667 Posts
may i suggest ARP studs

If your putting a new head gasket on , use new ARP 7mgte STUDS. then torque the head down to 82ft/lbs. You wont blow another head gasket unless maybe you severely over heat it ..

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Where is the best place to find the APR's??

will

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you give me an example of how much those studs would be costing?!
Im still a bit confused on how they will help?! How will my motor be protected from being blown?!
Melvin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts