Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to replace my tranny fluid with a good synthetic. Lots of people recommend Redline, but it is not to be had locally for me. Where does one acquire it, short of the internet? If I don't go with Redline, is there another brand that will work just as well, such as Mobile 1? I also plan to replace the filter screen. Is a full flush of the system worth it, or should I just drain what I can? Should I even bother with synthetic? I will not be running this tranny with any boost.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Hey Sam,

This is also one of my projects that I need to do for the 81 Silver Slug. Change out the Auto Tranny fluid!!!! :lol:

Since you are in Corvallis, does AutoZone carry any of the Redline products??? If not, check w/ some of the local speed shops in the area, is there a Pep Boys (aka Pep Gurls) in the area?? If not, then you may have to resort to the Internet

NOW THEN.......... Here is where things get interesting!!!!!!! :shock:

HOPEFULLY BY NOW, you will have looked at either the Brown Haynes Manual for the 79 - 81 MKI, or possibly the 81 Owners manual, if you still have it???

The 81 A43D Automatic tranny uses TYPE F AUTO TRANNY FLUID!!!! IT DOES NOT use any of the DEXRON varieties of tranny fluid (for example, the 85 A43DE Automatic uses DEXRON II fluid). This is VERY important, someone on the Yahoo list a few months back also had a 81 MKI Automatic, he did a fluid change, but DID NOT check on the tranny fluid requirements!!! Thus he dumped one of the DEXRON varieties in & he had MAJOR tranny slippage. Can't remember if he fixed the problem afterwards or not (he later tried to sell his car). :roll:

Redline DOES sell a TYPE F synthetic fluid, you will need to look for the bottles that say "Racing ATF" on them. This is the ONLY TYPE F fluid that they have.... And to my surprise, the few places in the Seattle area that does sell Redline products, they DON'T carry the Racing ATF fluid, but they have all of the other varieties of Auto tranny fluid in the product line.... :mad: One of my Toyota dealers that also deals in aftermarket products (Burien Toyota) and also carries the full Redline Fluids product line, was able to special order several quarts for me.

Now here's the even MORE FUN part!!!!!!!! To do a simple drain & fill on the A43D, it's about 3.5 quarts. That still leave's another 3.5 - 4 quarts still trapped in the torque converter. The best thing to do, is to take it into a repair shop that has one of those power flush machines that will flush out all of the fluid from the tranny, including the stuff that is still inside the torque converter. So basically, you will be replacing ALL of the old petroleum tranny fluid w/ the synthetic. So you will need to allow for the rest of the fluid that is still in the tranny & the torque converter. According to all of the MKI repair manuals that I have, a "dry fill" on the A43D is 6.5 quarts. So I went & ordered 7 quarts of the Racing ATF & "HOPEFULLY" that will be enough for the power flush procedure. Will have to do some checking around. :p

As for the filter screen, Toyota says that the screen does not need to be replaced, unless it's been damaged. Just rinse it out. Yep, I also thought that the filter screen might also be a "regular maintenance" item as well, but Toyota says no.

And yes, the power flush is worth it, this is the only good way that I know of, to get all of the old petroleum fluid out, so that it does not get mixed up w/ the new synthetic. Just for this reason alone.

If Redline cannot be found anywhere, check & see if Amsoil sells a TYPE F synthetic. Not too familiar w/ their product line (check w/ Dave Anders aka Dave A here on the Forums, he's a authorized Amsoil product dealer). I have yet to find a TYPE F synthetic from Mobil, so I don't think they are going to be of any help.

HTH..... P.S. Check around & see if you can find someone who can give you a price break on the Redline Racing ATF. I still ended up paying $8.00 a quart (times 7).... :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Hey Guys-Chris, as usual, covered it all-One cheepie alternative-If you are going to take tranny out to do this, and dont want to pay for powerflush, Borrow/rent/buy one of those suction wands-Drain tranny according to book-let sit overnite-Stick wand down dipstick and drain residuals-take pan off and GET ALL THE DIRT OFF SCREEN-You dont have to replace-But they can get pretty damn filthy-Stick wand in Impeller hub/neck of Torque Converter-Suck it dry-Or turn it over a bucket for 48 hrs-Basically all the fluid is stuck between internal fin blades and will come out-just slowly-NEVER TAP AND DRAIN THESE CONVERTERS-They have a fiber clutch inside that can be very easily FUBARED-Even by putting the torque converter back w/wrong length bolts-see holes punched in them all the time-HAVE FUN!-Mike P-

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well doesn't this just sound like a big barrel of fun monkeys to wrestle with. I know a bit about amsoil, had one of their filters on my truck for a while, and was happy with it. I'll look into that if Autozone can't get me some Redline. This flush story doesn't sound like too much fun though. What's a shop gonna get to do that, I wonder? Thanks for your help, Chris, I did not know about the type F. I gotta do this soon, cause I already added a quart of Dexron in my tranny :shock:. Mike- the tranny stays in the car until it bites the bullet :)

www.amsoil.com for anyone interested.

Edit: Amsoil is a no-go for Type F. I'll see what Autozone can get me today, otherwise I guess I'll order some from Summit.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
If your pan has a plug-drain what you can ASAP-Those trannys dont like it!

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Sorry for this semi-spam-The place I work for sells an additive called Lubegard-Made in Seattle by International Lubricants-Converts Dexron to Toyota Genuine-Chris, could this be a possible Solution, or does this year only take type F and not toyota OE?-Mike P-

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New plan: use Type F non-synthetic tranny fluid, since the only places that carry Redline dont have the racing type synthetic. I think I'll be alright running a petro based tranny fluid for the time being.

The best part is I just remembered that when I swapped engines, all the tranny fluid that I put in my tranny was dexron type :shock: oops. Been driving fine, but I'm gonna flush as soon as it stops raining.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Carfreek & Sam,

Carfreek: From what I've been able to determine, the 79 & 80 MKI that has the A40D Auto, and the 82 MKII that has the A43DL requires TYPE F. Not positively sure about the 83's, I do recall in the Haynes MKII specific 82 - 85 manual that at least the 84 - 86 A43DE's use DEXRON II. I "think" the 83 A43DE should also use DEXRON II, but I'll need to check again.

Sam: Castrol does sell a TYPE F Non Synthetic & should be pretty easy to find at most Auto Parts stores.

My regular mechanic says that most places charge $45 for a Auto Tranny flush.

Have fun!!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Just wanted to add my information here - my 83 automatic DID take TYPE F tranny fluid. Funny thing was I didn't find out until I was swapping trannys that I had been using the wrong fluid in it, and it had been driving fine. It said right on the dipstick "use type F fluid only". I had a shuddering problem that someone told me it was the torque convertor, but it was really just a bad driveshaft carrier bearing. So between 1983 and 1984 is the cutoff when Toyota changed fluid types.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts