Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this looks like I will be spending a great deal of time on this site. Recently purchased '83 MKII. Had an '82 and '86 growing up and always wanted another. Car is in decent shape but definitely would like to take it to the next level. Early quick question....One of the first things I need to do is replace the hatch on this as it is rusted out. I have a line on a solid hatch from an '85 but it has the double wing spoiler. I always loved the double wing and had it on my '86 back in the day, but am I devaluing the vehicle now if I were just to do a straight hatch swap? Or do I go through the effort of installing the single sunshade from '83 hatch onto the '85?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Cloud

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
And you'll be left with many open holes?
iirc, there is 4 snap pins on the top of the double spoiler, and 4 studs on the bottom. All of which have a matching hole on the hatch itself.
Unless the car is concours quality, it will not change it's value much. (and worth more than with a rusted hatch!)

I think i saw thefor sale ad, but can't remember where..?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Glad to see this went to a good home. Remember seeing this for sale and yes, that hatch was shot.
Do what I did... hit up George at Raptor Racing and grab yourself a Carbon Fiber (fiberglass) one! No more rust. They fit great too.

Reactions: Riddler83

·
Registered
83 Turbo '84 Dk Blue Auto-> 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,651 Posts
More Canucks joining "the Club" /coming out of the woodwork...Eh ?? Whooo Hooo !!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
1983 Toyota Supra P-Type
9 Posts
Consider the following!
Pricey, but one and done

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Wow, this looks like I will be spending a great deal of time on this site. Recently purchased '83 MKII. Had an '82 and '86 growing up and always wanted another. Car is in decent shape but definitely would like to take it to the next level. Early quick question....One of the first things I need to do is replace the hatch on this as it is rusted out. I have a line on a solid hatch from an '85 but it has the double wing spoiler. I always loved the double wing and had it on my '86 back in the day, but am I devaluing the vehicle now if I were just to do a straight hatch swap? Or do I go through the effort of installing the single sunshade from '83 hatch onto the '85?

View attachment 20181
If I were to answer 5-10 years ago, I'd say go for the two part spoiler. Now however, with Mk II's becoming less common, I think that it's becoming a bit of a faux pas. In 5 more years, I think that it will become a major faux pas. The cars are now being researched and people are starting to do the 'that's right' and 'that's incorrect' on the cars.

It also really depends what you plan on doing with the car. If you're keeping it stock, which it looks like right now, you should get the correct sunshade. If you are going to mod the car, then go for it!

I used to think that the dual spoiler looked sleeker, but now I'm starting to think that it's a little fussier. The original sunshade is simple, yet Japanese. It's a sunshade, not a spoiler. Few other cars of the era had one of these so it really stands out. I was just looking at your picture above, and while there is 'surface entertainment', it's really an understated, elegant look.

I know it's more work to fill the holes to put the sunshade on, but man, I like it!

Oh, and my wife's 84 is white with sunshade and BFGs...

That's my 2 cents.

And by the way, welcome from the left coast of Canada.

Dale

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I were to answer 5-10 years ago, I'd say go for the two part spoiler. Now however, with Mk II's becoming less common, I think that it's becoming a bit of a faux pas. In 5 more years, I think that it will become a major faux pas. The cars are now being researched and people are starting to do the 'that's right' and 'that's incorrect' on the cars.

It also really depends what you plan on doing with the car. If you're keeping it stock, which it looks like right now, you should get the correct sunshade. If you are going to mod the car, then go for it!

I used to think that the dual spoiler looked sleeker, but now I'm starting to think that it's a little fussier. The original sunshade is simple, yet Japanese. It's a sunshade, not a spoiler. Few other cars of the era had one of these so it really stands out. I was just looking at your picture above, and while there is 'surface entertainment', it's really an understated, elegant look.

I know it's more work to fill the holes to put the sunshade on, but man, I like it!

Oh, and my wife's 84 is white with sunshade and BFGs...

That's my 2 cents.

And by the way, welcome from the left coast of Canada.

Dale
Thanks for the input. I totally agree with you that the double spoiler looks sleeker but I've always loved the look of the single sunshade and I do want to keep it as original as possible. So much to consider, lol. But that is the fun part I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts