Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I would like to introduce myself. I'm David and I learned to drive in Supras. My first car was a 84 L-type that my father purchased used for me 1987. Unfortunally, I was not the best or smartest driver at 16 years of age and I flipped my L-type within the first month and half of owning it. The car was done for after rolling 4 times at 70mph. Lucky for me I was able to walk away from the wreck and after learning my lesson my father bought me a 86 MK2 P-type a few months later. I was so proud of her. My high school parking lot was full of IROC's, Mustang GT's, and dated muscle cars. My baby was the most eye catching and the other kids knew not to try and take me on the twisting roads that were all around my town. Even my best friend bought a '86 Mk1 MR-2. We were always defending our cars with the motor-heads, but they would never challege us to anything other than a straight-line drag-race

My '86 lasted me through high school, community college, and unverstity. During my 1st year out in the real world she sucombed to either a blown head gasket or bad ring. I parked her in my parents back yard in 1995 with all intentions of bring her back to her old glory. Not having the money or time to repair she has sat all these years.

At the moment I'm not working and for the 1st time since I graduated college. I have had the time to reflect on the things that have brought me joy in the past without the distractions of of my past 60 hour work weeks. Well, you guessed it. Next to my GF of 5 years it was the '86 P-type sitting lifeless in my parents yard two states away from me.

Hopefully I will be working before too long and me and the GF will be moving to a place where I can house my '86 and begin work on her with a little luck. I have been inspired by Memories 83's car and I would like to do the same for mine. Whether I'll be doing all of the work or finding a trustable shop I have sworn to get my P-type back to orginal condition. I look forward to getting to knowing everone here and yes I will be asking too many questions.
Smittey's Supra

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Welcome !
Humm, you may be un-employed now, but that gioves your time to work on it.
Try to bring it closer to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RedP85 I would love to start today, but I'm currently living in a high-rise appartment with limited parking. I can barely house my daily driver here. Before to long if employed I hope to have a place with a small garage to do some work along with transporting the car that is now 800 miles away from me.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
LOL, these cars always seem to be the classic time or money situation for me... I never have one when I have the other.

Good luck getting the car set up the way you want it. I'm sure people here will be able to help you so post up photos and some of the details on what you're doing and what you need once you get started.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jefe not. I'll share what I need with everyone in time. I'll have to get some time with the car and really look over it. Besides the motor rebuild and a front passenger quater panel that were in bad shape when it was parked it developed a leak from the sunroof while sitting. I can only guess what damage that caused, but it looks like I'll need a new headliner, front pillar garnish trim, carpet, and front seats. So, when the time comes to work on it I'll do better to toatl strip it and completely restore the whole car. The shell was rust-free when I parked it, so I hoping it will be good for a complete restore. I know I'll wind up putting more into than it will ever be worth to anyone else if sold, but I hope to do it anyway.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
so the car is in DC? im in baltimore and if you need some help, let me know, i can rebuilt your engine too, btw Is an automatic or a 5 speed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zuprax85, Thanks for the offer. I may take the help one day. The car is and will be sitting in SC for a while. The car is P-type automatic.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Zuprax85, Thanks for the offer. I may take the help one day. The car is and will be sitting in SC for a while. The car is P-type automatic.
no problem, i can rebuild you one or i can sell you mine :laugh: , just put close to 2k miles on the rebuilt engine, how many miles do you had on the supra?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has 176K on it. Love to keep the original in it if possible. I'll not know how much damage until I can dig into it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
hey, welcome to the forum.

i'm in westminster and work in germantown.

ian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The car has a maroon cloth interior....If there are any club meets in the DC area I would love to make it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts