Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New to the forum. I have an '82 mk2 that has been in my family since new. I am finally getting around to fixing it up. I'll post some photos soon! I can already tell there is a wealth of knowledge here to help me get it right!

·
Founding Member
6,607 Posts
Welcome aboard. Make a point to gather some snapshots and write down some stories from the original owner relative while you have the chance. I always enjoy talking to people at car shows who have stories to tell about their cars. Most people can maybe rattle off horsepower or other statistics, but otherwise know nothing about their car. I was just looking at a car over the weekend that had been ordered new here in the states and arranged for European delivery. They had all the original documentation to show the details of the arrangements and the subsequent shipping back to the states in 1972, but I was thinking that the most important part was missing. How great it would have been to have photographs of the car and its original owner on what was presumably an extensive European vacation. Remember the Supra is just a car. The vacation trip, the drag race, the autocross, that first date, etc., that's what the automobile is all about. Don't let the car get separated from its story.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Welcome!
You're the 3rd new member I read today!
Like Phil says, tell us more!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is some background:

My uncle bought it new in '82 (I have the original window sticker), my dad bought it from him in the late '80s since my uncle upgraded to a mk3. In 1992 my dad hit a deer with it and parked it in his garage. My brother found donor cars in the early 2000's for the front bumper and hood, it sat partially finished for the last 20 years. I just had the front end repainted about a month ago and am working on finding a few odds and ends that it needs. For sitting for the last 29 years in a garage it didn't take much to get it up and running well. Luckily it got started and moved every couple years so the driveline didn't sit that whole period. It was well enjoyed and taken care up until it hit the deer so it shows well for an almost 40 year old car.

With the paint work I have put new emissions decals under the hood, found a reproduction battery hold down, put some new rubber on it, and a few miscellaneous parts I was still able to locate like hood bumpers, and the plastic clips that hold the front marker lights in. I have deviated slightly from a true '82. I had the lower valence under the front bumper painted body color rather than black...not sure I will stick with that yet, but it looks nice for now. I also added the '84 and up trunk billboard decal. My uncle had the original decal removed from the trunk lid when he bought it new, I guess he didn't like it, hahaha. I decided I preferred the later style decal, it just seems like a good fit for a true '80s car.

My Dad installed a kenwood stereo in the late 80's and I am working to get it up and running again. I like the ridiculous number of buttons on it and think it goes well with the style of the car.

So that leaves me to the missing pieces, that hopefully I can locate here...I will do some searching soon.
1. Small triangular plastic trim on the inside of the door panel on the passenger mirror.
2. Front mudflaps, my uncle had factory mudflaps installed within a couple years of buying it, I have the rear ones, but the front ones appear to have been lost since the deer incident.
3. Windshield washer bottle in the front. I accidentally put my hand through it when I filled it with fluid a week ago, I guess it was very brittle with age and basically disintegrated.
4. I am not sure which front emblem the car originally had as it was lost with the deer. The donor car had the "celica supra" text, but I think it should have the early emblem with just "supra". I bet that will be tricky to find...

After all that, I will post some photos😀

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow!

Very nice.
The interior looks perfect. Do you have the original radio? I know it doesn't sound that good by comparison to aftermarket stereos, but if you have it, don't get rid of it. It counts to for originality for shows, or vintage plates, or for resale.

Your trim, the belt mouldings, the window trim, and the body side rub mouldings look perfect which is SO rare.

The triangular trim parts will occasionally come up on Craigslist or where ever. I'm sure someone is going to 3D print them soon.
Windshield washer bottle, you may be able to get on this forum, or again, on Craigslist when someone local is parting a car.
The mud flaps are EXTREMELY rare in anything like new condition. Hopefully, somebody will cast them in the future. All of the ones I've seen have rusted metal inserts and they look horrible.

How many miles on the car?
We also have to see pictures of the engine compartment.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Founding Member
6,607 Posts
Looks nice. I always like that color.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
WOW!
That car was well worth repair!
Don't forget, the 82 (because no headlamp washer) fluid réservoir is smaller than the later cars.
Front emblem text should match the B pillar text, so you should know what to look for!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts