Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently picked up a mkii project that I’m planning on turning into a racecar.

It came with a rolling shell, a parts car, 2 7MGE’s. One with a turbo conversion. And an extra w58.
The original plan was to put the 5M from the white car in the blue. Just to get it driveable for now. Unfortunately the 5M has low compression in cylinder 5. So now hoping one of the 7Ms will be usable.

This is my first mkii, but I also have a mkiv.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time attack and autocross to start. Then once I can get it set up properly, road race. I might take it to open lapping on the ice tracks as well. It’s more about fun and getting lots of track time, instead of being competitive in a single racing type.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If you're going to track the car I imagine that it will require a roll cage eventually. It will be far easier to strip the chassis and install the cage from the beginning. From there the car is a clean slate to start the build. Either the 5MGE or 7MGE are good choices to start, or you could use parts from both engines to build a hybrid "6MGE" (3.0 liter, 2-valve). If you're going to build/rebuild an engine I would suggest ARP head studs and a multi-layer steel head gasket (i.e. Cometic). The OE clutch, transmission and diff will hold 200hp all day long. The chassis is strong and there are many suspension options to choose from, along with easily upgraded brake systems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i second the previous poster about adding a roll cage now - youll give yourself a headache later if you have to do it down the line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice! Will definitely move the cage up the to do list. There’s some great info on the forum.

Unfortunately found a couple of small rust holes in the floor after removing the carpet. So will have a bit more body work than expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts