Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've recently become an owner of a 1986 White Celica Supra. I'm thrilled about it because this car is my childhood hero and I cant wait to make it drive on the road soon! I'm currently working on doing a 5 speed swap on it because, well, I bought it without the automatic and I found someone that had a 22R-E W58 I could use. I'm on day 4 on it and a couple of days ago I've checked the gas tank and no rust was found. So far so lucky for a car that apparently hasn't ran in 6 years. Body is in good condition except for the left side that had an Impact at some point but no rust, only in the sunroof panel which I'm gonna take care of soon.
20200717_074347.jpg
20200717_074408.jpg

·
Founding Member
6,405 Posts
Welcome aboard. I've done one 5 speed swap but its been about fifteen years ago and having been my high school dream car too, my memory loss is already accelerating. As best I recall, the most time consuming part of the job was mounting the clutch pedal since the whole dash had to come out to safely weld the top bracket. The rest was pretty easy. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I was lucky, the bracket was already there on mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard. I've done one 5 speed swap but its been about fifteen years ago and having been my high school dream car too, my memory loss is already accelerating. As best I recall, the most time consuming part of the job was mounting the clutch pedal since the whole dash had to come out to safely weld the top bracket. The rest was pretty easy. Good luck.
Interesting... thats gonna suck then, but Ill see hwat I can do, thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Welcome to our tribe!
We have a LOT of knowledge about MK II's.

I wanted a white Supra, but settled on a dark blue one. I WANTED an automatic.
Owned my '84 for a decade and It got a rebuilt 5MGE a few years back. Daily driver. I had help to do the swap in my driveway with a borrowed cherry picker and an engine stand.
The old engine was pretty tired:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to our tribe!
We have a LOT of knowledge about MK II's.

I wanted a white Supra, but settled on a dark blue one. I WANTED an automatic.
Owned my '84 for a decade and It got a rebuilt 5MGE a few years back. Daily driver. I had help to do the swap in my driveway with a borrowed cherry picker and an engine stand.
The old engine was pretty tired:
Thanks! Oh wow, thats awesome! since this one is pushing about 250k Ill give it a rebuild down the line (depending how it starts, parts have been taking awhile but slow and steady)

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
The original engine and trans was rebuilt @ 100 K and I wore the leaky engine OUT. @220 K, rebuilt 5MGE from an '85 went in. Trans still good. I'm on my 3rd LSD differential- the first 2 were screamers! The first 4.10 was a non-LSD, anyway. All new tune up parts [email protected] 220 K. All hoses were done, including the 'suicide" hose.
3rd alternator, 4th battery, Replaced the OEM radiator with an aluminum Griffin and went to Evanscool coolant. Runs and drives perfectly. I have a back up coil/ignitor, wiper motor and a fuel pump. I'm on my 3rd fuel pump in 12 years..
The list goes on. I keep my cars a LONG time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The original engine and trans was rebuilt @ 100 K and I wore the leaky engine OUT. @220 K, rebuilt 5MGE from an '85 went in. Trans still good. I'm on my 3rd LSD differential- the first 2 were screamers! The first 4.10 was a non-LSD, anyway. All new tune up parts [email protected] 220 K. All hoses were done, including the 'suicide" hose.
3rd alternator, 4th battery, Replaced the OEM radiator with an aluminum Griffin and went to Evanscool coolant. Runs and drives perfectly. I have a back up coil/ignitor, wiper motor and a fuel pump. I'm on my 3rd fuel pump in 12 years..
The list goes on. I keep my cars a LONG time.
Hopefully i will keep mine around for a long time but wow, you really take a lot of care on yours! For now before I actually running Im looking into all the failure points so i can daily it with no major issues. That suicide hose and thermostat will be a couple of the first things ill change regarding that

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
This the way that I did my suicide hose:

The other way is from the bottom.
The top radiator hose is also failure-prone.
In the above photo, I also added a coolant bleeder to help a LOT with air bubbles in the cooling system.
Next to the firewall. Just a garden hose coupler.
Left click the photo for a better view.

Reactions: AJ
1 - 13 of 13 Posts